Cup vs Bottle

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:01 am 
Post subject: Cup vs Bottle
I'm going back to work 10th September Sad and at the moment George is having 3 breasfeeds from me a day. One first thing, one around 4 ish and another at bedtime. I want to continue feeding him myself for the morning and night feeds but the afternoon one will have to be replaced with formula as I have struggled with expressing.

Te problem I have is he will not take a bottle. He bites it and get frustrated. He does drink water very well from a Tommee tippee first cup. I haven't tried him yet with milk from it but am worried he will guzzle it too quick and it will come straight back up. Also I feel like a bottle seems more of a comfort.

What do you think is it ok to go from breast to cup? If not anyone got any ideas on how to get to take a bottle?
Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:32 am 
Post subject:
I did , with my last once he was having meals he always had his milk or other drinks from a cup and just had BF in the morning and evening and he was fine with it,no problems at all , never had an issue with him being sick Question
it was just a top up after food though ,he loved the Hipp flavoured organic milk Laughing
,you can get lots of different cups though and I had an avent soft spout one which was the first he had and the spout came in various hole sizes so it didn't just pour out, once he was used to cups though he just had the regular one Smile
It's fine if its what you want to do, and although my son would drink from a bottle as he had occassionally when i went out, he found them too slow and frustrating once he had used a cup Smile plus cups are so much esier to clean than bottles and they can hold them themselves which a plus once they decide they're more independant . i know what you mean about the comfort factor but thats what our bed time cuddles and feed were and he never seemed to really want it at other times Question
If he already switches fine between the cup and BF then it might be better to stick with that rather than try to introduce yet another way to get his milk, as some babies will refuse BF is they get too used to bottles Smile xx
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
My son won't take a bottle either - but nor will he take a tuppycup... so we've actually started him with a little help having a normal cup and though he can't hold it himself yet (but he is only just 5 months old!) - he can support us and drink from one... so perhaps you could try a doidy type cup (from JoJoMamanBebe or online) to try? Just a suggestion! Smile
x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:10 am 
Post subject:
i would say dont introduce a bottle as you will only have to get him off it

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am 
Post subject:
Going to stick with the cup as he his happy to drink water from it.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular