Day time naps

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:18 am 
Post subject: Day time naps
My 14wk old won't nap well during the day. Some days she won't nap at all. She used to fall asleep on my knee after feeding and if I put her in her cot would wake straight up, so I left her on my knee and she could sleep for up to an hour sometimes more. Now she doesn't even fall asleep after feeding. Ive tried rocking her to sleep and pushing her in the pram up and down but she just won't go to sleep. Should I keep trying or just let her stay awake? I don't want her to get overtired.
AliJo
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:41 pm 
Post subject:
Following on from my previous post, I've now been able to get my baby to have 3 naps a day usually in her cot, unless we're out then it can be her pram. I've managed this by swaddling her then feeding her until she's sleep, like I do at bedtime. She's been able to self soothe herself back to sleep during the night, however when she wakes early from a nap she can't get back to sleep. I know she's woken too early as it can be less then 1/2 hour and she's still acting tired. If she can go back to sleep at night, why can't she in the day. The only thing I do differently is put up a blackout blind at night and not in the day, but I want her to know the difference between night sleep and naps and be able to sleep in daylight. ( I do pull the curtains closed though). Any reason why she's not napping long enough? What could I do to help her stay/go back to sleep?
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
Not really sure, but from what i read when my daughter was tiny, a complete sleep cycle lasts 30 mins (although books i have read recently as now also have a son of 15 weeks, say twenty mins), so it might be that she is just getting to the end of the cycle where she goes into rem sleep so is easily wakeable. Maybe try going into her after 20 mins and just as she stirs, shhhh-ing her gently (or whatever comforting technique you use) to see if you can get her past that sleep cycle and into the next.

Mandy xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular