Really struggling with potty training :-(

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:08 pm 
Post subject: Really struggling with potty training :-(
Oooooh I feel like a complete failure when it comes to this potty training lark girls, I'm defo finding this the biggest hurdle with regards to anything I've had to do! I got rid of the dummy with no probs, bottles, weaning, sleep routine.....you name it I nailed it but potty training is just a dead end every time!

For starters I dont think I really know how to approach it properly, for example do I lock down the house and keep her in for a few weeks? How do I go on day trips (or even short trips to the shop!) while I'm trying to instill it in my LO that she needs the potty if she wants the loo? People tell me to try Pull-Ups but she just uses them as a nappy, others tell me to just pop knickers on her as she wont like the sensation that they're wet but surely taking her out and letting her wet herself is a problem?

Then theres getting her to even use the potty! She refuses to sit on it, does a wee on the floor then tries to sit on it.....bit late their poppet!! She knows when she needs a number 2, tells me and runs off as she likes to do it privately so I can't get her to sit on the potty for that either but atleast I know that she understands the feeling of 'the urge' to go and she does tell me.

Because she doesn't seem fussed on the potty I bought her a Peppa Pig loo seat thing and step so she could maybe try the toilet like a big girl but she just sits there laughing that shes on the toilet. The other day I had her sat on there for about 5-10 mins with nothing, she got off ran into my bedroom and pee'd on the floor!!

Help!!!!! Do any of you have any other ideas, she's 3 in November and I really want her out of nappies (during the day) by then, especially as shes due to start pre-school nursery in January and they like the kids to be toilet trained! I'm completely lost and feeling pretty useless Sad

xx
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:26 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried gina fords potty training in 7 days book? I usually think books and stuff are a load of rubbish it worked for me. My son was coming up to 3 and I had tried loads of times but nothing. He didn't even care if he pooed himself. I read her book and it gave me ideas to try. It worked and within the week he was sorted. I also used it with my daughter, she was about the same age as your lo. It was a success too.

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:37 pm 
Post subject:
Shellm wrote:
Have you tried gina fords potty training in 7 days book? I usually think books and stuff are a load of rubbish it worked for me. My son was coming up to 3 and I had tried loads of times but nothing. He didn't even care if he pooed himself. I read her book and it gave me ideas to try. It worked and within the week he was sorted. I also used it with my daughter, she was about the same age as your lo. It was a success too.

Thank you hun, I hadnt even heard of this book (like you Im not a big fan of books but I'm prepared to give anything a try at this point!).

Gonna have a look for this book and try it out!

xx
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:46 pm 
Post subject:
Literally went and bought this book off Ebay as soon as I left my last post......willing to try anything!

Hoping to post in a couple of weeks that we're all dry ha!

Thanks again!

xx
Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:40 pm 
Post subject:
I hope it gives you some ideas. Very Happy Very Happy My guts will be for garters. Laughing Laughing
My youngest ihas just turned 2 and he has told me a few times he's done a poo so I'll give him a while and see his he goes. Good luck.

Weasleywannabe
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hello,
I really hope that the book helps you and your little person.

My son was a very similar age to your daughter when we started to successfully potty train. I put him in pants all day and took the potty everywhere with us. I asked him to sit on the potty regularly. He got a sticker as a reward for just sitting on the potty whether he did a wee or not. He put the stickers on his potty which he enjoyed.

When he did a wee in the potty I gave him loads of praise. My Mum works from home so was able to answer the phone during the day. We rang her as a big reward for the first wee and she made a big deal out of it and gave lots of praise too.

Gradually we stopped the stickers and now he takes himself off to the toilet with no help.

I hope this helps a bit too.
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya hun,

We have only just potty trained Lucy and she is due to turn 4 in November. We have tried her 3-4 times during the year and she just wasn't ready for it, we had a day with 15 accidents so we stopped and waited a bit longer and when she was ready she did it herself and do you know what it was worth the wait because all that happened was that I got stressed and Lucy cried.

When she is ready you can get a Pottette (can't spell) which is basically a potty that collapses flat with liners or you face the joy of every shop, house etc that you go into you have to go to the toilet. We didn't do stickers as we found she stuck them everywhere round the house but she will say I did a wee wee I need a hug which worked for us.

Oh a bit unrealistic of the school pre-school nursery to expect every 3 1/2 year old to be toilet trained, granted by the time they start school but they are a little bit little.

Probably not much help

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
Well my book arrived today and I've sat and read half of it already. If she isn't completely dry by this time next week your in big trouble ShellM Evil or Very Mad Hahahahahahahahahah!

Thanks for your other comments girls, I don't know why but I feel like I've just gotten myself worked up that she's really old and should be dry by now......she isn't even 3 til November. I think I just need to relax about it and approach it a bit more naturally rather than panicking that she isn't ever gonna take it all in.

She has fantastic understanding and knows exactly what she's doing so it will come.

Thanks again ladies, I'll let you know how we get on Smile

xx
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
I read this post and am now waiting for my book from eBay Laughing
I'm not sure if he's ready as he's just not bothered but I haven't really tried yet as I'm not sure how to do it. I've brought car pants and Thomas the tank engine pants so I'm ready to go once the book arrives! Don't think it's going to be easy though...

Maybe we should become potty buddies! Haha x

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am 
Post subject:
pepperpot wrote:
I read this post and am now waiting for my book from eBay Laughing
I'm not sure if he's ready as he's just not bothered but I haven't really tried yet as I'm not sure how to do it. I've brought car pants and Thomas the tank engine pants so I'm ready to go once the book arrives! Don't think it's going to be easy though...

Maybe we should become potty buddies! Haha x

God I'm exactly the same as you.......totally don't even know where to start! I think I just need to relax about it as when I spoke to her nursery this morning to say that by next week we'll be in full throw of it all she said to me to relax about it and to just make sure I pack plenty of spare clothes for my LO as she'll have loads of accidents to begin with. I think I'm just working it to be so much a bigger deal than it actually is!

The book is quite good, some of the stuff it says I've already been doing but theres some new things in there I hadnt thought about. Like your my LO isnt that fussed and when I say about her learning to use the potty and go to the toilet like a big girl she just point flatly refuses!

We should defo be potty buddies, let me know how you get on! When you planning on starting? I finish work on Wednesday for 10 days so from Thursday morning the nappy is coming off (I plan to spend a lot of my holiday on my knees cleaning up wee and poo haha!).

xx
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:25 pm 
Post subject:
One good thing about the book is that by the end of the week you don't ask them if they need the toilet they tell you that they do need it. That was great. Just make sure you have loads of pants and if they do a poo in them put them in the bin. The pants not the child Laughing Laughing
Good luck with it.

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:22 pm 
Post subject:
I'm gonna start on Friday because we have the dentist on Thursday so I don't want to confuse him by starting and stopping. Also gives me time to read the book (it came today!). Thought it was going to be a big book but it's tiny! Going to give it a good try but if he's too distressed then am going to leave it a bit longer.

Good luck, keep us updated! I will too x

Shellm - I like the idea of putting Oli in the bin, at least he wouldn't need a nappy in there! Laughing

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:34 pm 
Post subject:
Well its not going great!!!

Took the nappy off at 10am after brekkie and up to now I've had a day or tantrums and wee everywhere! She just will not go on the potty!

I tried bribery earlier to get her to sit on the potty so I gave her a chocolate lollipop and she had to sit on the potty to eat it (kind of disgusting as I'd never dream of giving her a treat to eat whilst sittin on the loo but I just want her to get used to sitting on the bloody thing!). Anyways she sat happily to eat it, stood up and ran off then wee'd on the floor!

She is VERY good at telling me "mummy wee-wee" once she's done it......just not so great just yet at telling me BEFORE she needs so I'm hoping that will come over the next few days. She did a massive wee about an hour ago which I cleaned up then 5 mins lata did another so I did tell her off a little bit ( Embarassed I know thats not the way to go with it, it was more frusttration than annoyance!) and she ran off and sat on the potty for a good 15 mins (still didnt do a wee tho!).

Shes gone for a nap now and I've put a pair of pull-ups on her as I forgot to buy a plastic sheet so will have to go for one tomorrow.

Only plus of the day is that I had to pop to the local shops (needed kitchen roll and I've gone through a whole roll wiping up wee today!) and we were about for about 10 mins and she didn't do a wee altho she did on the path as soon as we got out of the car haha!

Aww I'm knackered and frustrated but hopefully she'll get the nack in the next few days!

xx
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hmm sounds like you're having fun! Well done for keeping at it, Oli doesn't know he's been so she's a good step ahead of him. I've abandoned plans to start today as we are going to my mums for the weekend and into next week. I'm going to pick a week at some point and do it then with no distractions.

You're doing really well though, sounds like you're managing to keep your patience better than I will! xx

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 pm 
Post subject:
Lilly everything you have written, could have been written for my son! he was 3 before he got the hang of it so don't panick! its very frustrating and even worse when you feel like everyone elses child can do it type of thing, just remember she will get there in her own time. i virtually had 6 months of jp running round in the buff just to get him to go lol but it worked.she will get there, and its not worth getting yourself upset over, you're doing everything just right! xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular