Really struggling with potty training :-(

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm 
Post subject:
im sure she will get there and she still has plenty of time:)

my daughter is coming up 3 in october she asks to go to the toilet but only coz she like to sit on the toilet not because she needs the toilet. she doesent tell me if shes pooed or weed in her nappy. so i dont see that shes ready for potty training but its good shes asking to go to toilet so i take her when she asks.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:39 am 
Post subject:
Did the book work?

Terri xx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
xxOliverAndMaxsMummyxx wrote:
Did the book work?

Terri xx

In a word...NO! Still having a terrible time, she just goes mad and throws a temper tantrum as soon as I take her nappy off and tell her she's going to be a big girl today and use the toilet!

I've started putting her in pull-ups rather than nappies through the day because they dont hold as much so she feels when she's wet but even that isn't doing anything. I decided to bite the bullet last week and just put her in knickers all day and all it ended up with was me washing about 10 pairs of leggings and knickers and her back in a pull-up by the afternoon!

Feel so stressed by it all, she's just not taking to it so I've backed off to calm us both down over it all and will start properly again in another couple of weeks.

xx
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:08 pm 
Post subject:
Aww, I know how you feel. I've been trying to potty train Oliver on and off now for 8 months!

We've now been doing it solid now for 7 weeks and we're still no closer to cracking it. If he isn't wearing anything on his bottom half he uses the potty 95% of the time but the seconds he has pants or trousers on he sees that as a green light to just wet or poo himself.

Nursery are telling me that he'll get there but I'm starting to visualise sending him to school in nappies and him changing his own nappy when he's in college!

Terri xx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:10 pm 
Post subject:
I take it my guts are for garters!! Very Happy Very Happy
If it isn't working you are best to leave it. It took me 3 atempts with my 3rd. He wasn't interested and was 3 1/2 before he was trained. I can't fault him now though. He has never had an accident from after the first week. My friend did her lo too soon, hers and mine are 12 days apart. She had him in undies from the age of 2 and even now he is nearly 7 and goes constantly and still wets the bed.
If you lo isn't ready leave it and put her back in nappies for another few weeks. It is frustrating but I think if you get it right at the right time things will be wonderful. Sorry again!! Very Happy

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 am 
Post subject:
My concern is that the main advice is once you've started don't stop so I'm unsure what to do for the best.

Terri xx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:20 pm 
Post subject:
It's hard to know what to do. It either works or it doesn't and that's the pain of it.
I can say yes it worked for me but it might have just been a lucky attempt. Callum was coming up to 3 when I tried him. He just wet and pooed as he would if he had a nappy on. After 3 days that was enough for me. I put him straight back in the nappies for another few weeks, then we tried again and it was the same. He would run off and poo in his undies and wasn't even bothered. He got really sore from it. So we stopped. He was going to start nursery in the September so I had to do it and within that week he was sorted.
With my next little girl she was dry by day at 2 1/2. Three weeks after that she wanted nappies off at night.
I think we feel pressured to having our little ones out of nappies. My youngest is 2 and 2months but is no we're near ready.

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
Yes Shellm your in big trouble hahah!

Oh its just gotten to the stage now where we're not even trying....I'm too tired and worn out by her total refusal so I'm going to leave it a couple more weeks then try again.

I was worried about the whole stopping and starting thing but it was stressing us both out so much that I'm willing to take the chance! The way I figure it is thats there no reason why she wont eventually take to it so I'm just gonna go slow as that suits us both best I think, I will start to worry however when she's starting secondary school and I have to check if they have baby change facilities ha!

xx
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
Post subject:
Thought he'd finally got it today. Went out for a meal and decided to leave him in pants and he asked to go to the loo twice and he weed! Brill.

So we get home and about 30 mins later I notice a smell that told me he'd poo'd I tried not to make a deal of it and just said oh well, but it was disgusting, one of those with the consistency of mushy peas and they stickyness of wet cement! It took 15 mins and a full packet of baby wipes to clean it up. As well as a quarter bottle of carpet cleaner and some thrown away pants (the trousers may make it). They say the less fuss you make when an accident does happen the better and then to make a big song and dance when they do it in the potty but when it takes that long thats a full 15 mins of attention, no way around that!

Terri xx

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
My son was the same, everything was a breeze sleeping, weaning, dummy etc but potty training was a nightmare we tried three times and in the end we ended up spending £30 on an all singing all dancing potty, it sang a song when he sat on the potty, sang a song when he did a wee or a poo and then sang a song about him flushing the toilet and washing his hands, and then encouraged him to take a sticker to put on a reward chart.

It worked a dream he loved the song and the encouragement and the stickers were a great sense of pride for him and when the chart was complete it was a certificate for him to display which he was again so proud of!

He still had accidents occasionally but we got there in the end (and my washing machine had one hell of a workout!!!) and the nightime training was very easy!

You can still get the potty from Asda as far as I know and I know it's alot to shell out but it does work! And I've now passed it onto a friend for her to train her boy as well!

Good luck hun!
Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 am 
Post subject:
Does your LO like books? My daughter has "lulus loo" and loved it! Helped a lot to make her understand what to do. I know loads if people that say the same as you...midst stressful thing about having children. We had a nightmare with poo but with the help of lulus loo and peek-a-poo she is dry and not 2 til next week. But she really wanted to use the potty and I think that's half the battle

klam
Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
I've started potty training last week, I used the book and ditched the nappies and went for pants all day. Day 1 I washed 10 pairs of pants and trousers, day 2 I was up to 12 pairs and ready to give up with exhaustion. Day 3 we saw some improvement with just 7 pairs and by day 4 just 1 pair.

I have to say it was a hell of a lot harder than expected and she will often say no if I ask her if she needs a pee pee, especially when she is in a stubborn mood which can be a lot of the time. I have often given into bribery to make her go when it suits me - eg if you want to go to the park with mummy you must do a pee pee first. I think I was asking her too much the first few days and the nagging was doing her head in. Now I try and change it up and ask her if she knows where the potty is and quite often low and behold 5 mins later she will run through and ask for it herself cos it was her choice to use it.

Good luck, I can only imagine how hard it must be if you feel your LO just isn't gettin it or is rebelling against it. Definitely underestimated how hard it would be and by the sounds of it I was incredibly lucky!!
xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:40 am 
Post subject:
I found giving Oliver a choice that only has 1 result usually makes Oliver do what I want.

For example. 'Do you want to sit on the potty or do you want me to sit you on the potty?'

Saves on bribery Laughing

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
I've tried the bribery, isn't getting me anywhere!! I said to her the other day that we were ging to ASDA (she loves going to ASDA!) and that she could play on the pink car when we got there (one of those stupid car ride things), anyways she was all excited and I said that first we had to go to the toilet to do a wee-wee....she point blankly refused! So I told her we couldn't got to ASDA unless she went and she said so!! Where do you go with that??

I have no idea why she won't even show an interest! Tried taking her the loo with me so she can be like mummy but that didn't work, tried blackmailing her, tried leaving her to her own devices, NOTHING seems top be working Sad

The other night I'd just put her in bed and she said she had pains so I asked if she needed a poo-poo and she said yes so I said do you want to try sitting on the toilet and she said yes, I was so happy! Turns out she just used it as an excuse to extend bedtime as she sat there for 10 mins with no poo and when I tried to get her back into bed she kept saying she wanted a poo.....the kid is a head wrecker ha!

Got a big day next Sunday, my LO and neice are getting christened so I've backed off completely, gonna get that day out the way then we have nothing planned til Xmas so I'm going all Mummy-esque and I will win this battle!!!!!!!!!

xx
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular