Putting babe down awake...help required please!

Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:30 pm 
Post subject: Putting babe down awake...help required please!
Hi there, I was just wondering if it is too early to put my little boy (4weeks) down awake. When I put him down he is awake, but has shown a few signs of being tired. ( I am currently trying to follow the baby whisperers E>A S Y routine). But he screams and I am not good at letting him cry.
ANy advice re bedtime routine appreciated. At present he is fed, then bathed then put to bed but he tends to want more food before bed, which totally knocks out the E.A.S.Y routine! Coz he is then supposed to have activity aftewards and is too tired!!!
HELP, this baby lark is quite difficult. I have an older son but we made the mistake of letting him sleep on us for hours and only got him out of that bad habit a few weeks ago.
Anyone with any advice at all please do let me know.
Thank you
splodger
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:55 am 
Post subject:
I am going through the same thing with my 5 week old he seems to want to sleep in our arms or our bed and will not settle in his moses basket. A friend of mine suggested to leave him for 5-10 mins to settle himself. If he cries then leave him to settle himself but you can go in after 5 mins and soothe him but don't pick him up. Then leave it a bit longer next time and so on and so on.
This is a method we are going to try tonight so fingers crossed. Maybe try the same thing but you must be strong and leave him as no baby was hurt from crying and as long as you have checked he's not hungry, hot etc.. then he is fine to leave to cry.
Good luck
lisaloo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:11 am 
Post subject:
I started putting my baby to sleep awake from about 6 weeks. He was hysterical at first but now he goes down really well.

We started a routine feed, bath and bed. Every time he cried we went in after a couple of minutes. We sh,sh,sh him and rubbed his tummy and put his dummy in. As soon as he stopped crying went out immediately. We must have repeated there up to 30 odd times and took him nearly 2 hours to fall asleep. However, each night this reduced and the time reduced it took him to sleep. Now we still have to go in 2 or 3 times but he falls asleep within about 15/20 mins. This worked wonders. Perseverance and patience is the key. Hope this helps.

p.s he is now 9 weeks!
Heather2006
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:53 pm 
Post subject: sleeping routine
I have found this advise on settling up the evening routine very helpful. Hope it works for you too, even if you are not a single parent.

http://singleparents.about.com/od/parenting/qt/bedtimeroutine.htm

I also use music.
puss2
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 am 
Post subject:
do what your instincts tell you: only you know whats best for your baby. my baby is 4weeks old and it took 1hr and 20mins of crying but he settleds himself to sleep on his own (with abit of reassurance. it was abit distressing for me listening to his poor little cries but we got there and now he`s sleeping peacefully. don`t let anybody guilt trip you because much of child experts advice is statistical not necessarily correct. as long as your baby`s fed clean warm and safe, there`s no harm caused by abit of crying.
beth1985
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
[color=indigo]I've been trying out this method for just over a week now and it does work, it just takes a lot of patience and perseverance. When my LO starts to yawn I get her swaddled, give her her dummy, if she wants it, and take her to our room where she sleeps at the moment, this is dark, and I think she is learning when itís dark, itís sleep time, Iíll ssh and pat her till her eyes go heavy, normally about 5minutes, then put her in her cot. She wont always go to sleep first time, I have to go in 2-3times and ssh/pat her again to soothe her, but sometimes she will go first time. Iíll normally leave her for 10minutes to cry before going up to soothe her. If she wakes crying again say 10minutes later, she normally stops after 4minutes and goes to sleep.

I found the first time really difficult, but knew it was probably best in the long run, luckily, the first time worked well for me and I only had to see to her 3 times before she went to sleep, but I have had tough days and nights. If you find it really difficult to listen to the crying but are determined to stick though it, turn the volume down on your monitor and watch tv for 10minutes and make yourself a cup of tea, you can still hear baby but you can normally get distracted for a few minutes which helps the time pass as the crying can seem to last forever, and also helps you remove yourself from the noise and chillout for 2minutes which can really help you and help your baby if you yourself get stressed.

I hope this helps out you mummyís who want to try it, the key really is patience and perseverance, your LO will learn

x x x
[/color]
Heather2006
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:11 pm 
Post subject: putting to sleep routine
we are using the vocal music every evening and find it very helpful. I generally dislike the idea of imitating the sounds of the rhythm that the baby was accustomed to while sill in the belly, but adding something of musical nature with good emotional message I think is a good idea.

we use the music from here:

http://www.red-music.us/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_34

I would be glad if it works for you too.
kristinjenson123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:06 am 
Post subject:
splodger wrote:
I am going through the same thing with my 5 week old he seems to want to sleep in our arms or our bed and will not settle in his moses basket. A friend of mine suggested to leave him for 5-10 mins to settle himself. If he cries then leave him to settle himself but you can go in after 5 mins and soothe him but don't pick him up. Then leave it a bit longer next time and so on and so on.
This is a method we are going to try tonight so fingers crossed. Maybe try the same thing but you must be strong and leave him as no baby was hurt from crying and as long as you have checked he's not hungry, hot etc.. then he is fine to leave to cry.
Good luck

I am activity through the aforementioned affair with my 5 anniversary old he seems to demand to beddy-bye in our accoutrements or our bed and will not achieve in his moses basket. A acquaintance of abundance appropriate to leave him for 5-10 mins to achieve himself. If he cries again leave him to achieve himself but you can go in afterwards 5 mins and allay him but don't aces him up. Again leave it a bit best abutting time and so on and so on.
This is a adjustment we are activity to try tonight so fingers crossed. Maybe try the aforementioned affair but you charge be able and leave him as no babyish was aching from arrant and as continued as you accept arrested he's not hungry, hot etc.. again he is accomplished to leave to cry.
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 am 
Post subject: Baby Sleep Help
I am answering baby sleep questions right now at http://www.facebook.com/groups/twoweekstosleepsupport/
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 pm 
Post subject:
I'm currently implementing a new bedtime routine (first night tonight!) with my 6month old as he always fed to sleep at night and I've royally made a rod for my back - as he still wakes 4+ times a night and can only be soothed with boob Sad

After talking with a sleep counsellor through the GP - we now bathe him, feed him, brush his gums then read with him or talk quietly with him in a dimmed room for half an hour, then put him in his cot awake but drowsy, and pat his tummy until he falls asleep.
It's not been easy - he cried for an hour tonight and I was so upset for him and feel so awful that he's gone to sleep crying, but I was there at his bedside the whole time, just patting his tummy gently for reassurance... and this is what I will have to do EVERY TIME he wakes tonight and for the next few nights - the counsellor has promised me it will work though and within a week to ten days he should be able to self-settle and also won't be waking through the night so often... The idea is that the more used to the routine he becomes, he won't cry when he is put in his cot and then eventually I won't have to pat him to sleep, he'll just go to sleep without me in the room.

I'm only telling you this to say - if you have a good sleep routine at 4 weeks - stick with it! Don't end up in my situation (I promise you a 6m's cry is a LOT louder than a 4week olds! Very Happy ) and teach your LO good sleepy habits early on! The only thing I don't so much agree on with some of the other posts is about leaving baby to cry alone, but that is just me... I couldn't leave mine to cry in a room on his own, but sitting next to him so he knows he isn't alone and isn't afraid to be left alone then is suggested to prevent bedtime turning into separation anxiety. You don't even have to touch them, just being there while they cry at least lets them know they are not abandonned. But each to their own; I know the cry-it-out-alone strategy works for some, it's just not for me.

Good luck hun xxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular