TV in LO's room..

lucylou91
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 am 
Post subject: TV in LO's room..
so my little boy is now 2 and a half! he has severe infertile eczema that causes him to wake 4-5 times a night..lately he ends up waking up and then cant get back to sleep because of how uncomfy he is! the one thing ive found to settle him back to sleep though is the tv! but that means taking him down stairs to lay on the sofa (which is not ideal for his age or routine). also im 39 weeks pregnant and am starting to panic at how i will manage getting up with two in the night...

so my question is..is he to young to have a little tv on his bedroom wall high up where he cant reach it and has no control over the remote, (as i don't want him thinking its play time and messing about) and then i can just put the sleep timer on to turn off by itself after a certain amount of time? im just thinking about how much easier it would be when i have baby here aswel. x x
Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am 
Post subject:
I wouldn't put a tv in his room. I know it's hard getting up with a toddler and a newborn, I've been there. My lo still wakes up every night still but just because he does.
With this hot weather could your lo's eczema might have worsened? Can you ask the dr for a stronger cream or medicine to stop the itch. Once his eczema calms again you could be stuck with him waking up for the tv to be put on and he won't get a proper nights sleep either. The brain is very active if you watch tv in bed and fall asleep watching it.
Good luck with your lo and your impending arrival.

KathG
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:16 pm 
Post subject:
I know its far from ideal but if I was you I would put the TV in his room. His sleep and your sleep are important and if it works I say do it. It probably distracts him from itching, it must be hard to fall asleep if you feel itchy it maybe takes his mind off it and lets him nod off. My LO didnt sleep well at first and it can be really affect your quality of life if you are constantly sleep deprived, I think him falling asleep infront of the Tv is better than you all banging heads all day because your grumpy and tired hes grumpy and tired... if it works do it, one less stress for you when baby arrives.

[/url]
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
Aww eczema is just horrible especially in this heat so I really feel for your son. I would avoid TV in the room and what about story tapes/cd and play them instead of. That way he can listen to something without the stimulation of the screen.
Posted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hmm it's a tough one! Normally I'd say no way due to bad habits etc BUT I think it's worth a go as like you say you all need sleep and with a new baby it's going to be tough enough. You can 'wean' him back off it when his eczema improves. If its the only thing that settles him now anyway it won't make much difference if it's in his room or in the living room. If its having a nagative effect you can always take it away. Good luck xx

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am 
Post subject:
is it just the noise he likes? my mum used to put on story tapes for us when we were younger to fall asleep to and now as an adult ( my sister too) when im finding it hard to sleep i put the tv on something like the news and i drift off to sleep to the voices. so maybe a story cd might be the inbetween answer?

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:38 pm 
Post subject:
Its a tough one, I want to say no to ever having a t.v in my childrens room (We are funny about t.v's anyway, people think we are weird as we only have one in the whole house) I don't agree with them in bedrooms on a whole

BUT
having a child with a medical condition I know what its like to want to make their life easier to bear at times Crying or Very sad

I would go with the old cliche of you do whats best for you and your own!

Archie had cake for supper last night as he needs something carby before bed to keep his blood sugars up and he wouldn't have ceral/toast/crumpet etc so cake it was, might make some mums gasp 'OMG cake before bed???' but it keeps him safe over night so its best for him!!!

xx

EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:24 am 
Post subject:
Flick has a TV in her room. She goes to up to her room an hour or so before her 8opm bedtime to cuddle up and watch a movie with her toys Smile
When the movie is over we switch it off and she goes to sleep ( if she has not fallen asleep watching the movie Laughing Laughing ) We have never had any problems with her getting herself to sleep.
If on the rare occasion she wakes up silly early in the mornings then we get up and put a movie on for her to watch until it is time to get up Smile x

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Louise has a Tv in her bedroom and has done since she was about 3. in a way its good she goes to bed watched bit of tele falls asleep and i switch it off but she wudn never go to bed without it on.

Georigia dusnt have a tele in her bedroom and shs nearly 3 now. she takes a bottle to bed and wakes in the night and i know how hars it is getting up in the night and im not pregnant like u. i give her a bottle and she goes back to sleep so if the teles gonna work for you id say got for it.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:20 am 
Post subject:
I think having a TV in a childs room is just wrong and in some cases, lazy parenting.

I had one from about the age of 7 and I just used to sit in my room all the time and watch it which has developed bad habits into adulthood. When I met my DH over 8 years ago I still couldn't get to sleep unless I had the TV on in the background. I don't do it any more though as he was having none of it. Even now if I'm alone or once the kids are in bed the TV goes straight on.

Like Jennifer we only have one TV in the whole house which people I know do find strange. I have one friend who's child is under 3 and just upgraded his 27 inch to a 32 inch, thats just plain ridiculous. I have another friend that if she doesn't keep the same Thomas DVD on loop playing on the kitchen TV her son has a complete meltdown so she leaves it on for an easy life! Again, ridiculous.

Strange but may be people should play with their kids? If they want them to watch telly it should be in the day time and kept to a time limit so they don't come to rely on it. I put it on if I need to do some bits around the house but not very often, its usually just the radio on in the background. Thursday is TV time and also some times at the weekend too.

However this seems to have turned into me ranting about television. I think if you really have tried everything and this is all that works then it may be your only option but it may be wise to discuss it with your GP?

Terri xx

somoslagente
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:42 pm 
Post subject:
my little girl has a tv in her room - but she can only watch dvds or videos on it - it isnt tuned into the actual tv.

she watches foreign cartoons on it and so practices her language skills without realising.

i cant be bothered with people who are anti television - it is a FAB educational tool when used correctly.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 am 
Post subject:
somoslagente wrote:
i cant be bothered with people who are anti television - it is a FAB educational tool when used correctly.

I am anti television but I completely agree with your last comment - problem is these days the TV is used as a baby sitter more than an educational device. Great idea to not have it turned in and I think they anything that can be watched be kept out of the childrens reach so its only watched when you agree and know about it.

Terri xx

NicolaOasis
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:41 am 
Post subject:
Aimee has a tv in her room, she got it last christmas. Ive not attached an ariel so its used to watch an occasional dvd as a treat, its hardly ever used to be honest xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular