when to swap LO from baby milk to normal milk??

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:19 am 
Post subject: when to swap LO from baby milk to normal milk??
My LO is due to turn one in september and i am just wondering when it is ok to start weaning him off baby milk onto our milk,i would like to get him swapped as soon as i can as in decemeber i will be back to buying alot more formula for the new baby and at £8 a box it going to become very expensive.

thnakyou ladies Smile x

lysianassa
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 am 
Post subject:
With Sebastian I just switched him at 11 months, I finished the last tub of milk and then just gave him normal milk - he took to it straight away without any problems. Mind you, I go through around 8 pints of milk a week Rolling Eyes

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am 
Post subject:
You don't wean. Just swap straight onto whole milk when ur LO turns 1 Smile x

Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:35 am 
Post subject:
i sure even eight pints must workout cheaper than baby milk, i cant believe how expensive it is,i think i mite try himon just an ounce tonight see what he finks to it Very Happy

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:47 am 
Post subject:
i straight swapped at 11 months, but gave them it in weetabix from 6 months so would have noticed allergy etc xx
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:50 am 
Post subject:
ah yes i must remeber it has to be whole milk nt semi skimmed.......i just abit nervous as we have nt been fully assured he doesnt have a dairy/lactose intolerance yet so i am wondering whether to try him on alpro soya milk and see how he does with that

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am 
Post subject:
What makes you think he has an intolerance? Tbh I would carry on as normal and give him whole milk until you know different or you notice the milk affecting him x

Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 am 
Post subject:
we had noticed when he was alittle younger that wen he had anything with milk in it he would have really bad fits of screaming and bloating so have stayed away from it but i think the time has come to try it again

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 am 
Post subject:
When my LO turned to one I tried to put her on cows milk and she wouldn't entertain it all! I had to keep her on Aptimil and only stopped it in May, it cost me a fortune but I wanted to be sure that she was getting some of the calcium and vitamins that she was lacking through not drinking the cows milk. After she turned about 16 months she was only on the one bottle a day (bedtime) so a tin of milk did last me a good while.

She's still a bit iffy about drinking milk now, the most I can get her to have is a little splash on her cereal in the morning but shes eating so much better now that the yoghurts and cheese make up for not having the milk. I don't like milk or cream or anything like that, never have done so maybe she's just like me.

xx
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
My LO hasnt had milk since he was 12 months. He loved his baby milk but wouldnt entertain cows milk. I rang HV and he said not to worry if he isnt taking any because once they turned one they would be getting enough calcium through yoghurts and cheese etc x
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
My friend use to mix the formular and the cows milk , each day reducing the formular and increasing the cows milk, that way they couldn't notice a difference.
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
i used to give cows milk in food from 6 months, then just before she finished her tin of formula i would give one bottle cows milk and one bottle formula, until she had finished the formula.

she wasnt fussed as long as it was warmed, even now she wont drink cold milk. she deosnt even like hot chocolate or horlicks.

lysianassa - is that 8 pints for sebastian? or all of you? cos we go through 6-8 pints a week the 2 of us!

lysianassa
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Quote:
lysianassa - is that 8 pints for sebastian? or all of you? cos we go through 6-8 pints a week the 2 of us!

Most of it yes, I'll have a couple of bowls of cereal during the week, providing I remember to buy it Laughing

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:44 pm 
Post subject:
I switched to cows milk after running out of formula a few weeks ago
and he just has two small cups a day one with breakfast and one before bed. If you're-worried about allergies introduce a bit with breakfast in cereal and see how it goes. As mentioned their is just as much calcium in yogurts and cheese as a small glass of milk.
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
Noah was one when i took him off powder, it is expensive i know

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular