FET Natural vs Drug Cycle??

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:12 pm 
Post subject: FET Natural vs Drug Cycle??
Ok so we've just done our first cycle of ivf with icsi which failed. Im feeling suprisingly ok with it, just spoke to the clinic today and the plan is to take September out and chill see if a miracle happens then book our outcome review for October where we will be able to plan for FET and we will have a treatment information appointment straight after. My question is for anyone who has done it did you go natural or with drugs??
The nurse I spoke to on the phone said the consultant at the clinic recommends all his patients to do drug cycles as the results/outcome are more successful.

If we do go ahead with a drug cycle can anyone tell me how many appointments roughly it takes? Is it as many as an ivf cycle? x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:45 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nutty, just logged on to see your result, so sorry it wasnt successful this time. It's great to hear you're not feeling too down about it and are ready to think of the next stage already.

As you know, I had success with a natural fet and I would highly reccommend it. My theory of why the icsi hadnt worked was that the drugs were too much for my body and I felt that being bloated and having been pumped with drugs and my body having been under so much stress cant be a good start for the embryo, especially as there is nothing medically wrong with me.

I found the whole process really easy, just ovulation sticks until you get your surge, go in for a scan and have the embryos transferred at whatever day they were frozen at. I could almost forget I was even doing a cycle and found myself having to remind myself to take it easy in the 2ww as having no pessaries and no side effects from any drugs meant I really could forget about it, making it so much less stressful.

That is just my opinion and experience, although I have heard that clinics like you to do medicated cycles as that way your cycle in within their control, so they can schedule your appointments at a convenient time.

Hope someone can come along and balance this for you. I thought about a medicated cycle as that would have been much easier for work etc, knowing in advance when my appointments would be, but for me, personally, I know I would have regretted it if it hadnt worked and blamed the drugs again.

Good luck whatever you decide and if you have any more questions, just ask!!
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks fc, I do have a couple more qs as it goes lol Laughing With regards to thawing, we have 11 blastocysts frozen how many roughly would they unfreeze and say they all survive being thawed and we only have 1 put back what happens to the others? x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:14 pm 
Post subject:
At our clinic they just unfroze the ones they needed. We had 2 put back so the took 2 out and luckily both survived the thaw, had only one survived they would have taken one more at a time til they had 2. I think they can be re-frozen tho, they're not like chicken breasts! Laughing
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:36 pm 
Post subject:
How old are you fc if you dont mind me asking? Because Im 32 they only put 1 back something to do with hfea guidelines and multiple births. We would like to go with putting 2 back in a frozen cycle but Im wondering whether they would just say no even though we are paying for it.
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
Nutty im so sorry it didnt work, but im blinking cross for you, you can ask for 2 to be put back at 32.... the one at a time is a guide not as many clinics will tell you the aloud.... ive done both a fresh cycle and a frozen both times had 2 put back and i wasnt that much older than you when we first cycled.... we had a medicated FET and it was good id say its nothing like the fresh cycle... but then i think it depends on what drugs your clinc use .... i was just on tablets and pessaries ...

very best of luck

xxx

Xavier lifes pure joy
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:38 am 
Post subject:
Thanks Sharon, the nurse mentioned about surprecur for the fet. Does the process take as long as an ivf cycle would?

So basically if we want 2 put back they cant refuse? Would I be right in saying that.
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 am 
Post subject:
Sharon is right Nutty, it is just a guideline. I was 30 when I had 2 embryos transferred, I only had one first time, but that was my desicion, they said as it hadnt worked they were happy to give the ok for me to have 2 put back. They do say blasts have a better chance tho, ours were 3 day embryos.
JakesMommy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:52 pm 
Post subject:
sorry it dident work for you clare Sad can i ask do you have to pay again or is this coverd in the price you already paid
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:23 pm 
Post subject:
No we have to pay for a frozen embryo transfer Anna, its £1250 excluding drugs. xx
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
Post subject:
you can ask for 2 i had 2 both times even though i was advised only for 1, yes twins would of been harder but we'd of loved them..... they cant refuse unless yours is a nhs funded cycle, i was on tablets for 2 weeks then transfer and the same 3mths of pseearies, so much easier ... if you need any info just shout ...xxx

Xavier lifes pure joy
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 am 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, roughly how many appointments would be needed for a FET. Is it a lot less than an ivf cycle?
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
I had to do a trial month, which was just home opk, then one scan appointment when I got my surge, followed by a blood test which was done at my local gp and sent to the clinic special delivery. This was just to check I was definitely ovulating when they thought I was and other more technical stuff I think! Then the actual cycle was just the same - opk, scan when I got my surge, then scan 2 days later to check ov had occurred and ET 2 days after that.

So it was really easy, 1 scan plus a blood sample one month and 2 scans plus ET the next month, and trhat was it, pregnant!!

I think with the medicated cycle it was much the same, except being on the drugs meant the appointments could be scheduled in advance, I got my surge at around 9.30am and had to be in for the scan less than 2 hours later, luckily I was on holiday from work otherwise it could be difficult.
AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Nutty haven't been on AB for a while so just catching up now. So sorry to hear that this cycle didn't work but hope you are doing ok. I found doing frozen cycles way easier than fresh especially as there are very little or sometimes no injections!! I only had frozen eggs not embryos but principle was the same. However I did medictated cycles as one of my problems was getting my lining thick enough so needed drugs for that.

Another thing to consider might be finding out about doing short protocol instead of long. This worked for me but I know that some clinics are reluctant to to them for some reason.

I was able to run frozen cycles back to back but had to leave a month between fresh cycle. Oh and by the way I'm 32 as well!!

Good luck and feel free to ask any more questions!!

xx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 am 
Post subject:
Did you have 1 or 2 put back Ally? Glad to hear it seems to be a lot less appointments, I feel bad that my poor o/h has to keep using days off his holiday, luckily for me its not a problem as I dont work but I cant drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular