Exercise after birth.

Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:13 am 
Post subject: Exercise after birth.
I am so desperate to start getting back into shape after having Lily, my figure is completly different and I don't like it at all, I nearly cried in primark yesterday I look that bad.
Is there any exercise I can do yet? It's been 4weeks since Lily arrived. I feel great in myself but I know you are suppose to wait till your 6week check before doing too much.
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:18 am 
Post subject:
I think walking is great if you're up to it although remember it is only 4 weeks! They say it takes a good 6 months for your body to go back to 'normal' if it ever does lol. Walking is good as you can moderate it to how uoure feeling and if you take the stroller too it really can be a good workout without even really knowing you're doing much.swimming is another good one as you can take it really gently.but please don't cry at your body.you've just had a baby.remember that and it takes times. You're getting enough exercise recovering from what you've just achieved and running round after a newborn and your other kids too.xxx

lysianassa
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:20 am 
Post subject:
Until you have your 6 week check up I would just suggest walking, as that helps with the full body. I was told not to go swimming until after my 6 week check up. If you've got a Wii or something similiar I would suggest that or maybe a pilates DVD as these are gentle (I think), a friend of mine starting hula hooping for a few minutes each day after having her baby, it looked like that helped Smile But honestly, I wouldn't even bother trying to do too much until after you've been checked Smile

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:33 am 
Post subject:
walking is good, but my mw told me on the first day to just do what i felt able to do, and not to push myself.

my doctor hardly bothered with me at the 6 week check, just asked about contraception and the HV did the PND test.

the only time i had my stitches checked was when she was about 10 days old and i asked the mw as i thought i could feel a lump

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:37 am 
Post subject:
If you had an uncomplicated natural birth then you can start gentle exercise when you feel ready, not before 6 weeks is the general guidelines for c section Ladies ,
my hospital used to give out a sheet with stuff on Question including gentle stomach exercises,to be started the day after the birth Shocked Laughing i bet there's an online site that has some Question ,
as with everything its just a matter of listening to your body and stopping if something hurts , swimming is a great exercise for all round toning and I started back as soon as i stopped bleeding Smile
Walkings good but if you live somewhere with lots of hills it can be a strain on your back pram pushing while your stomach muscles are still not at their best (I used to get horrible backache the first few weeks after having mine because of the hills Rolling Eyes )
So sometimes a treadmill can be better as you can control the incline Smile
the thing is to build up gradually and not try to do too much too soon , but even just pelvic floor exercises can help with your stomach muscles too Smile xx
dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:55 pm 
Post subject:
Alice is 6 weeks on Sunday and I started that 30 day shred thingie last Friday and some boxercise too. I think as long as you're using your common sense it's fine.

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
Walking is always good, be careful of any stomach exercises right now.

I agree with Dellabobella, do what feels right. But start off slow. xxx

xMandyx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Kell, If you feel comfortable go for it, just listen to your body and don't overdo it. I've been back in the gym for a few weeks now and am fine, I get tired a bit easier but other than that no problems xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular