help with night time sleeping

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:32 am 
Post subject: help with night time sleeping
ok i am totally hanging! lil man.just does not do sleeping at night! oh looked after him until 5 (i didnt go to sleep until 2( and he has been.pretty much awake every since. its now 11.30am. he willl go in his rocking chair for about half hour but then starts crying. i have tried dummies and soothing him (trying to avoid picking him up everytime as i dont him to get to used to being on someone 24/7). when i do pick him up he will sleep on me but only when i am sat yp.

i am already sleeping downstairs because he wont settle at all upstairs. i really dont know what to do. we are travelling home for xmas today and i am dreading being in someone elses house and being even more tired because xmas day and boxing day is going to be manic.

he normally allows me to put him down after his 8am feed which is when i sleeo but he wont even go down then.

he has been pooing a lot so has nappy rash - could he be upset about that and therefore seeking comfort?

getting kind of desperate now!! any tips? i have tried putting something with him.with my smell and the hot water bottle. dimming the lights leaving the tv on!

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:02 pm 
Post subject:
I dont know really what to suggest! Does he wake up when you put him down?

Classical music
White noise - a tumble drier, hoover etc
Car rides

He may not want to be laid on his back if he has bad wind, so an upright position might be more comfortable.

He may be having a growth spurt, Frankie did at about 2 weeks, hopefully his sleep pattern sorts itself out soon.

I have the opposite problem: a baby who often barely sleeps all day!
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:51 pm 
Post subject:
i have the tv on in the back ground.

he wakes up when i put him down after about 20 mins. he wouldnt sleep in his moses basket so we put him ib a chair that rocks itself (battery controlled) so he is at a slight angle although he ends up sleepibg with his head nearly on his shoulder. i have put him in his cot a few times just to try and get him used to it but he was not impressed! he sleeps well during the day its just night!! he was quite awake all day yesrerday so i thought he would sleep better last night! he even took 4 ounces at 7pm yesterday and slept for nearly 5 hours which is the most ever!

he doesnt bring up much wind at all after feeding no matter how much we try so maybe this is some of the problem! although he does fart a lot. i just dont know how much longer i can survive on 2 hours sleep a night! xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:34 pm 
Post subject:
Frankie was exactly the same, she always farted rather than burped - this means the wind has to travel through their gut, which hurts/is uncomfortable. (gripe water should help)

Does he sleep in his basket during the day? Can he see you in the basket? He may prefer to be able to see you.

Is he hungrier and unsettled/grizzly - could be a growth spurt.

You may want to start a bedtime routine, to try and help him sleep. Frankie has a bath, massage (with e45 moisturiser, bedtime story and cuddle then(hopefully)sleep. I'm not sure if it is a bi early but I think its a good thing to start and cooling/drying after a bath often makes them sleepy.

I think your right to be careful about always letting him sleep on you - try to judge his cries - if its distress then pick him up, if its a moan, then maybe give him a minute to see if he settles again.

To be honest I havent found a way to make sure she always sleeps in the day and kinda let her get on with it now(i encourage her but dont stress) obviously thats harder at night. Has he always been ike that? Cause many babies are not in tune with day/night and take a bit of time to adjust. x
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
nope he wont even.go in it durung the day. he has now been asleeo.all day today!

that is exactly what we do. bath, massage, bottle then bed. it sometimes works but it is either the 12 or 3am feed when he wakes up.

he has been.like this since we got home. he has gripe water in his feed. he is sometimes grizzly but generally is haopy enough just wide awake. we have had a few nights of screaming with bad wind.

thats what i do. if he is just moaning a bit i leave him because sometimes he goes off but i would never leave him scrwaming.

it has started to make me dread bed time! and like i said xmas is really busy.so i wont be able to sleep during the day at all! so i will be a zombie. dont get me wrong he is the best xmas present ever....guess i am a bit of a worrier and wondering how and when this will end! xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
nope he wont even.go in it durung the day. he has now been asleeo.all day today!

that is exactly what we do. bath, massage, bottle then bed. it sometimes works but it is either the 12 or 3am feed when he wakes up.

he has been.like this since we got home. he has gripe water in his feed. he is sometimes grizzly but generally is haopy enough just wide awake. we have had a few nights of screaming with bad wind.

thats what i do. if he is just moaning a bit i leave him because sometimes he goes off but i would never leave him scrwaming.

it has started to make me dread bed time! and like i said xmas is really busy.so i wont be able to sleep during the day at all! so i will be a zombie. dont get me wrong he is the best xmas present ever....guess i am a bit of a worrier and wondering how and when this will end! xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:44 pm 
Post subject:
could you try putting him in the basket during the day, putting it on the floor and sitting on the sofa so he can see you?

where does he sleep normally? x
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
i tried all that. i can only put him down when he is asleep. he never got on.with a basket. he sleeps in either his battery operated rocking chair,.vibrating chair or recently he has slept on the matress.i have downstairs but not when i am in it! xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 pm 
Post subject:
The only thing that worked with us (and I know a lot of people don't agree with it so you may not want to try it) was co sleeping. Jamie slept 3 hours in 24 and I just got to a point where I was too tired to cope so had to curl up in bed with him. If you do want to try it research how to do it safely. We had Jamie in his sleeping bag still on top of the duvet so when he did go back to sleep we could try and put him in his moses basket

You can try playing around with the temp, blankets, etc. You can get a singing seahorse which lights up which did help with Jamie although he was older. I know what you mean. I used to dread bedtime because I knew Jamie wasn't going to do more than 2 1 and a half hour stints whatever I did. I just used to get up in the end (didn't want to disturb Adam) and watch endless episodes of Glee

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:04 am 
Post subject:
travis only sleeps 2!or 3 hours at night. i have tries putting him in bed next to me but he still does not sleep. will only go to sleep when cradled.

i was going to try a sleep sheep thing. i might try toys r us over xmas! i will try anything. i sleep downstairs so david is not disturbed and then i get a couple of hours in the day.

even if i can.get him down at night. i struggle to.sleep. 1 because he snores really load and 2 because i am waiting for to wake up again xx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:34 am 
Post subject:
I wish I could offer u more advice! Sad or tell you something that definitely works.

You could try keeping Travis awake more in the day or at least before 'bedtime' but I'm not sure it works like that for babies.
I also have the seahorse for Frankie and she also likes it (she doesn't fall asleep to it though)
So when he falls asleep and u put him down he wakes up again immediately or a bit later?

It sounds like he's quite a wakeful baby like my Frankie but he's still got his times muddled up! Frankie has slept more during the day recently (mostly in my arms) and is now not going to sleep until 11.30pm; where as before she would hardly sleep all day and fall asleep at about 9-10pm - so many the sleep quantity during the day isn't helping you?! Saying that he might get very overtired and miserable without the sleep he gets in the day . . ?!

With the co-sleeping - you can get a cot that attaches to the side of your bed and is supposed to be safer than sleeping in the same bed. I don't much about them though.

Hoping some one has some good advice or it settles down soon!
Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 am 
Post subject:
Oliver was the exact same as Travis. it was at the 1mth stage that he really started to change things around..ie sleeping at night and wake times more during the day.

I however tend to do things that most health professionals tell you to avoid Confused
- swaddling... was brilliant with Oliver cos he got himself so worked up with wind etc that his arms would fly all over the place.

- co sleeping..not all the time but when breastfeeding. then straight back tks his cot.

- side sleeping.. Oliver (and Tilly is getting this way too) but they hate to sleep on their backs so they sleep/slept on a v pillow on their sides. this helped massively with the wind.

I do however have a sensor mat I use under then cos I'm such a paranoid mummy when it comes to sleeping Sad

I do hope you find something that works soon x
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:37 am 
Post subject:
Oliver was the exact same as Travis. it was at the 1mth stage that he really started to change things around..ie sleeping at night and wake times more during the day.

I however tend to do things that most health professionals tell you to avoid Confused
- swaddling... was brilliant with Oliver cos he got himself so worked up with wind etc that his arms would fly all over the place.

- co sleeping..not all the time but when breastfeeding. then straight back tks his cot.

- side sleeping.. Oliver (and Tilly is getting this way too) but they hate to sleep on their backs so they sleep/slept on a v pillow on their sides. this helped massively with the wind.

I do however have a sensor mat I use under then cos I'm such a paranoid mummy when it comes to sleeping Sad

I do hope you find something that works soon x
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:48 am 
Post subject:
hi zee thanks for your reply. i have tried swaddling which helps sometimes but i think.he likes to be free. he always has his arms out and often kicks his legs out.

i.have tried putting him bed next to.me but i get the same response. i can only put him down.when.he is actually asleeo and wherever it is he wakes uo after 20 mins or so. it does seem to be wind. he wakes up straining and farting....when he is awake at night he fine he doesnt cry or anything only when.he is put down!! i am going to try a sleep aid toy but not convinced it will help.
e also gets really chesty after a bottle so wondering if he is getting fluid on his chest! xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:16 pm 
Post subject:
if it's colic or even a reflux thing it could be that he needs elevating after feeds (is it always after feeds that he kicks off?) you say he settles on you as long as he's up right?

Google baby reflux...I don't know too much about it tbh.. but the hv may be able to recommend something.
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular