congestion in a 8 week old

boswell5711
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:59 pm 
Post subject: congestion in a 8 week old
My 8 week old son started to have congestion just 4 days ago. He doesn't have a fever or cough. He is feeding well and is happy as can be during the day. Is it common for an infant to get congestion after they wake up and only certain times during the day?

I have been using the saline drops and a bulb syringe, with little that comes out when there sounds like a river of snot up there. Also when he wakes up he coughs and gags a litte like he is gagging on snot?

I have been reading that nasal congestion is common in infants and could last up to 7 to 14 days. If my baby is happy and doesn't have a fever should I call the doctor?
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:19 pm 
Post subject:
PErsonally, if lo seems happy otherwise i would not worry bout docs, not much they can do except offer you nasal drops which you are already using so i would just carry on as you are.

My son also gets quite congested from time to time but he gets over it quickly. I find it frustrating, it sounds awful but then there is no wet snot iykwim? Worst first thing in the morning.

Mandy xx
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:33 am 
Post subject:
when my daughter was born she was born back to back in a face up position and had inhaled a lot of fluid on delivery and it took her weeks for it to clear with saline drops and nasal extractors etc it took a long long time for it to clear.I'm not sure if it's something your sons had since birth and if not it might be just that he's clearing out what's in there.my hv told me it could take months for it to fully clear.if he's content otherwise and no sign of discomfort I'd be happy that he's fine .unfortunately for my daughter it caused her problems feeding coz she couldn't breathe through Her nose well at all so she struggled the first while. as long as its not causing him any problems I'm sure itll clear in its own time.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 am 
Post subject:
I used to prop one end of Georges moses basket up slightly which seemed to help him breathe at night.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular