Starting to potty train my 19 month old

Tashuur
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 pm 
Post subject: Starting to potty train my 19 month old
Hello everyone

Ive brought a potty today for my daughter & I'm going to start potty training her. Thought I'd pass by to see if anyone has any advice on how I should start because I haven't a clue lol

Tia
X
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 pm 
Post subject:
I would introduce it slowly, leave it about for them to familiarise with and then take it on their lead, it may well not happen straight away.

the biggest lesson i learned with my daughter was, the more i tried to make it happen, the more she dug her heels in! In the end, my little one just kind of 'clicked' one day and she just started to use the potty, then a few days later the loo.

Be careful trying to push it as it can make them regress. Sophia was happily using the potty here and there, but then when i started to 'train' her it put her off using the potty for about a month! she would cry and run away every time i suggested the idea.

A reward chart helped a bit. After 3 wees she got to make cakes with me, 5 wees she got to buy a magazine and 10 wees go to a farm. That did motivate a bit, but she wouldnt entertain the idea for about two months after i made the chart for her!

And potty training stories certainly made Sophia WANT to give it a go, even if she wasnt actually quite ready to start. Also, making a big deal of going with them to choose a potty and knickers/pants.

Good luck with it all,

MAndy xx
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you Hun x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular