3 Month Old Crying While Nursing & Pulling Away

KimberlyFrye
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm 
Post subject: 3 Month Old Crying While Nursing & Pulling Away
I have a 3.5 month old baby boy who has started sometimes crying and pulling away while nursing. He is exclusively breast fed. He is generally a happy boy and has been gaining weight well (16lbs now). He does not do this at his night time (he usually wakes up once during the night to feed but sometimes sleeps through from 7PM to 6AM) or his early morning feedings. He did it today at his feeding around 11:30AM and does it sometimes in the afternoon and evening as well. He will latch on and will start to suck and then after a couple of minutes (2-5), he will pull away and cry. I offer him the other breast and he will suck again for a couple of minutes and then pull away and cry again. It is a very loud scream - in fact the loudest and hardest he has screamed since he was born. It normall takes him 2-3 minutes to calm down and then he's fine. He does not go back to the breast and he waits to eat until his next feeding. He's done this before his bedtime feeding several times and it doesnt make him wake up any earlier to eat during the night. I burp him regularly while feeding so I don't think it's gas and he doesn't have a spitting up problem. He does spit up occassionally but not after every feeding. It seems worse when he hasn't had a bowel movement in a while. Any thoughts? Your help is much appreciated. I am at a loss for what's going on and I feel terrible. Thanks.
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
How often is he feeding during the day? Maybe he is full and just sucking for comfort? George will still cry and fidget if he needs to burp or pass wind so maybe be more persistent in winding him when like this.

Have you done any Baby massage? This really helped George with his wind and poo. I used to a tummy massage every night after his bath and sometimes mid morning as well.
Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:03 pm 
Post subject:
Could it be wind?

Or could he be over tired?

Or could he be saying he needs one less feed? Is it consistently one feed or sporadic?

My little man did this when he was younger and it was because of wind. But now he often does it at night and i am pretty sure it is because he is wanting to sleep which is stopping him from eating properly. And at times, it is because actually he is not hungry, just tired.

MAndy xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular