Allergic to milk??

MrsMurray
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:44 am 
Post subject: Allergic to milk??
I think my almost 8 month old little man may be allergic to milk.. I first thought it about a month ago when I made him cereal with a little whole milk instead of my breastmilk and/or boiled water. His entire face flared up red! So I rushed him to the doctors in panic and the doctor said its likely an allergic reaction, but there's no special test they can do to figure out what, if anything, he's allergic to. He told me to figure it out by process of elimination lol. So I cut out milk and he just has boiled water in his baby cereal. Today I gave him weetabix with a little whole milk and his face is bright red all over again. So it must be the milk?

Shall I try him with soy milk?

Anybody else's child allergic to milk?

And I also wondered, as I'm breastfeeding, wouldn't he have has an allergic reaction sooner? I have milk everyday, surely it would have passed through my milk to him?

Thanks in advance!

Becky

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:52 pm 
Post subject:
he hun Smile my 3yo Kieran is allergic to milk, there are differentr degrees of severity in an allery and in milk can be different things like an intolerance to the lactose (sugar) or an allergy to the protein (like my son has) as far as i know, a milk allergy doesnt usually present itself through breastmilk as your body has already broken it down etc, but again, for some that would cause a reaction too!
my Kieran had red face, scabby eczema, runny bloody poo, stomach cramps etc.
so could very well be a milk allergy/intolerance. most babies do usually grow out of it though! Smile
if the only thing that causes this to happen is milk, then i would go back to gp and say u have discovered its milk that is causing the reacion, they can prescribe u a milk that it nutrionally complete for babies....or just continue to use breastmilk.
does he react with any other milk products? yogurt? cheese? etc. with Kieran he reacted to it but not as much as just milk, he also reacted to soy milk! so if u do really think its milk then do go back to gp.
hope this helped a little xxx
MrsMurray
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:43 pm 
Post subject:
Aw thank you. This really did help!

My son has had terrible eczema since weaning too, and I only just thought, with you saying that, that it may be down to allergy. It as at it's worst with milk, his entire face flares red in massive neat circle shape. But sometimes he does get just a red chin an mouth, but I'm not sure if this is a reaction or just irritation from the food on his skin? I'll look out for what he's eating next time it happens, just in case.

I've gone and bought soya milk to try with his cereal.. But I may just continue making it up with water.

Think I will be visiting gp again though. Thanks Smile

Jolene8880
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:31 am 
Post subject:
http://cowsmilkproteinallergysupport.webs.com/symptoms

It's been a while since I last logged in to ab, but I saw this post from a Google search and thought I'd just pop in to share this website.

My daughter has CMPA and is also allergic to soya protein as the strains are very simular to that in cows milk. Your GP is wrong there are tests available, but they only show one type of allergy which is an IgE allergy, non IgE allergy returns false negatives, allergy testing isn't conclusive though and elimination diets are the best way to diagnose food allergy.

Also milk allergy can and does present via breast milk, on daughter was EBF for 6 months and had many symptoms, unfortunately it took for her to poo blood for her to be diagnosed!

We have a facebook group and page which you can find from links on the website Smile

Jolene8880
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:32 am 
Post subject:
http://cowsmilkproteinallergysupport.webs.com/symptoms

It's been a while since I last logged in to ab, but I saw this post from a Google search and thought I'd just pop in to share this website.

My daughter has CMPA and is also allergic to soya protein as the strains are very simular to that in cows milk. Your GP is wrong there are tests available, but they only show one type of allergy which is an IgE allergy, non IgE allergy returns false negatives, allergy testing isn't conclusive though and elimination diets are the best way to diagnose food allergy.

Also milk allergy can and does present via breast milk, on daughter was EBF for 6 months and had many symptoms, unfortunately it took for her to poo blood for her to be diagnosed!

We have a facebook group and page which you can find from links on the website Smile

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm 
Post subject:
we used to keep a strict food diary of foods eaten and reactions so we could take it to show gastroenterology, try doing this for a while so you can see and have something to show the docs - also take photos it helps x
Wringle
Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
The best thing a baby can be fed is their mother's milk. Most of the time when they are nursed by their mother they will have less allergies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular