Hard of Hearing Baby

Jup
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm 
Post subject: Hard of Hearing Baby
Hi, our baby boy has being diagnosed as having moderate hearing loss and needs to wear hearing aids in both ears. He's only 3 weeks old and this is a massive shock to us as nobody in the family is deaf and nor do we know anybody who is deaf.

Does anybody have experience of babies or children with moderate hearing loss and if so how did they get on with life (i.e. can they speak normal, etc).

I'm so upset that my baby boy is unable to hear without the use of hearing aids, and need as much information on 'real life' situations to help us.
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:25 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,

This must have been a terible shock for you and am sure you are still taking it all in. My experience is different but both my parents are deaf and whilst growing up my brther and i never had any problems communicating with them and lived perfectly normal healthy lives. I have 2yr old twnin girls and my parents look after them reguarly and they have no problems communicating either, in fact the girls do sign language which is lovely to watch. I know there is a coclear implant available which s something you could look into later down the line. However it is still very early days for u all, and in the begginning babies just need lots of love and affection. You could also attend baby sign language classes which would help you both.

Hope this helps a little
Lucy x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
As they have found out so early abbout the hearing loss, I am sure that there will be plenty of ways to ensure your baby's life isn't impacted too much. Your baby will probably need more assistance than most, but there are lots of classes and self help groups out there.

My neighbour is a twin, they are both quite deaf in both ears and wear hearing aids, however both of them lead 'normal' lives you would not even know they had a hearing disorder.

Good luck.

Jup
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:32 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for your replies. Are your parents and the twin next door able to speak as well as sign? And is the speech clear enough to understand?

Our baby is getting his hearing aids next week, he'll only be 5 weeks old so as you say at least he will be supplied with then early and will have a good start.
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya

My parents are both able to speak, i think it is perfectly clear to me but to others they struggle sometimes to understand what they are saying, but i have heard it all my life so know no different!! However my girls understand perfectly what they are saying, no problem there!!

Hope your feeling a littel better:)

Lucy x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Jup wrote:
Thank you for your replies. Are your parents and the twin next door able to speak as well as sign? And is the speech clear enough to understand?

Our baby is getting his hearing aids next week, he'll only be 5 weeks old so as you say at least he will be supplied with then early and will have a good start.

The twins both speak perfectly and don't need to sign, altho they often lipread people, not that you'd notice tho Very Happy

rubyyeager
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:21 am 
Post subject:
Hey Jup, don’t get depressed. Your son is not the first kid to get Hearing aids at such an age. There are many kids with HA's and are leading normal life. He wont be complaining you about the HA's because its not your decision its his disability and he will learn how to deal with it. By giving him hearing aids you help him to be able to join the kids with normal hearing.
carrieandalaina
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:18 am 
Post subject:
Hello,

I had to get hearing aids when I was 4 years old b/c I have a mild hearing loss. They aren't sure if I was always like that or if I had gotten sick (they think it was probably the latter). I've worn hearing aids my entire life (I'm 31 now) and am able to live a normal life: I'm a teacher and can communicate effectively with my middle school kids.

I think since they caught it so early that will help him out b/c he will be able to hear all the sounds he might not have heard without them. The reason that deaf/hard of hearing people speak differently is because they don't know the sounds to produce the correct sounds. As long as he has them and wears them regularly, you will be fine. I've also had a student who had a cochlear implant put in when he was in 7th grade and you could understand him just fine too. Like I tell my students, they are like glasses but for my ears.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular