any advice on IVF? it still hasn't sunk in...

beckyp1989
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm 
Post subject: any advice on IVF? it still hasn't sunk in...
hi ladies, i don't think any of you will remember me but ive been a member for quite sometime, just had a really long much needed break. I'm 22 years old, my hubby is 23 we have been trying to concieve since i was 17 (pretty young ay Laughing ) but ive always known i wanted to be a mummy. after years of going up and down the doctors telling them there was something wrong, 4 years later they finally took us seriously. In february this year we recieved a nasty blow.. we were told we wouldn't ever have children naturally and that out only realistic chance is ivf. I had a tube removed last year and my other tube is blocked, the doc was going to try and unblock it but hubbys sperm came back really really low. it was supposed to be 20 something and is only 1! were are not overweight and not underweight, pretty healthy too. they said my womb, uterus and follicles look in good shape and look healthy and theres no reason as of yet why i couldn't carry. I was told we can put in for IVF on the NHS when i turn 23 which will be this december. I still am finding it really hard to get my head around and struggling to come to terms with this. I just wondered if anyone has any information on IVF and what to expect? How long are waiting times and what people think our chances are? any success stories? im really sorry to have gone on. thanks for reading Smile x
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Becky,

ive had rounds of ivf both worked for us no problems.....

best of luck

xxx

Xavier lifes pure joy
beckyp1989
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
awww thats lovely, always good to hear. thank you xx
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 am 
Post subject:
I've not had IVF but like you I only have one tube and its also blocked, I think even with your OH having a low sperm count I would ask them to still try and unblock it Question , i'm having a proceedure called tubal cannulation in October, its a very simple procedure where they put a cannular into the end of the tube, try and put dye through and if it doesn't unblock the tube they put a fine wire through instead to try and push the blockage out, it has an 80-90% rate of successful unblocking Very Happy I know the odds of conceiving are lower for you with a low sperm count but as you have to wait to go on the IVF list (which I think is totally wrong discriminating because of your age)and then in some places there's quite a wait once you're on the list as well at least if they could unblock your tube you are in with a small chance naturally , I'd argue they shouldn't be basing your treatment solely on your OH's results as for one sperm counts can improve and relationships change and in the future you might be with someone with a normal sperm count and want to try naturally(i'm not suggesting that would happen but it would be an arguement i would use to get the tube unblocked Smile , I had to argue my case as well as i'm 42 so they said the odds of a pregnancy were low but any chance is better than no chance in my book Question )
I know IVF waiting times vary depending on your local PCT so there website might be a better place to get information from , but at your age, statistically you have the best chance of it working Smile
The long IVF post in this section follows a few ladies through their treatment and might be a good place to get a general feel for the process from Smile xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:11 am 
Post subject:
Hi Becky, Im in a slightly different position because we have just paid privately for Ivf with Icsi (which is what you will have) but I also only have 1 tube and my 2nd tube is damaged. We are unsure whether its even still open (had it unblocked 13 months ago), other than that Im healthy in every other way. Personally for me after trying for so long (almost 5 yrs) it was a relief to go for Ivf and I didnt find it stressful at all. I wont lie towards the end I did find it hard physically because I responded so well to treatment but thats the only thing. Unfortunately for us it didnt work but we did get frozen embryos out of it so that a +. Any questions at all dont hesitate to ask and when you feel ready come and join us on the Ivf thread xx

Claire
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:26 am 
Post subject:
Hi Becky. I also started my family young, i had my first child when i was 19 and he was planned lol, been with my hubby since i was 15 so after 4 years together it didnt seen such a mad thing to do Very Happy Age should have nothing to do with it, as long as you are mature enough to love and care for a child.
Anyway, we are also going down the IVF route, although for different reasons. My hubby had a vasectomy a few years ago and along with the cost of reversal, as well as the fact that over the last 6 years since i have had my kids i have developed PCOS and my periods are very erratic, sometimes going for months without one, we have decided to go for IVF, well ICSI.
After getting pregnant the natural way, this is all new to us and although i sometimes feel guilty for wanting another child and having to do it this way, its all new and to be honest a bit frightening too.
I have read through the other ladies on here who have been through the treatment and have learnt loads from them, both the physical aspects of the treatment as well as the emotional side. I would highly recommend reading through the posts, although it may take a while lol.
Good luck with your journey. XXX
beckyp1989
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:14 pm 
Post subject:
hi ladies, thank you so much for your replies.It's so much easier talking to people who are experiencing simlar problems too, i no longer feel alone Smile it's so hard when it seems your friends, family and people around you are nothing but baby machines *sigh* Sad The gynae did say he thought there was no point in trying to unblock my tube as he believed we wouldn't fall pregnant even after that. But yes, i have sat here and thought 'why doesn't he unblock it anyway? it only takes one lucky sperm!!' I look back now and wished i had questioned it and asked alot more questions but i think i was still realing from the shock of him saying IVF was our only chance. Did any of you find your doctor abit un-sympathetic? I cant help but feel we were brushed off, quite rudely, no explinations.. nothing Sad i don't even know what was wrong with hubby's sperm! all he said that it was suppoed to be 20 something but it's only 1 Confused I don't understand it? was it his mobility or amount Embarassed sounds silly i know, but nothing was explained properly. He basically brushed me off and said come back when your 23.. so now i sit and wait in limbo. I have read up about IVF and i must say it's scared me, i'm scared of getting my hopes up. They do say you have a better chance when your in your 20's but i still find it hard to believe as ive been telling my doctor since i was 14 that something was wrong and he said i was young, going through changes...8years later and im facing IVF, young doesn't always mean 'fertile' hey ladies Embarassed thank you for pointing me in the right direction girls, feel like abit of weight has been shifted. Theres just so many things whizzing around my head. I keep thinking about a lifewith no children and i don't think i can bare it, its all ive ever wanted to be!! my hubby says i have to stay positive but after so many years of staying 'positive', look were its got me... sorry to rant, just having a really hard time today. xxx Crying or Very sad

Jump to:  

Community

Popular