Jars v Homemade Food.....

kelchatters
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:35 pm 
Post subject: Jars v Homemade Food.....
Hiya,

My little boy is coming upto 6 months, and has been having food since 4.5 months. He will have then odd homemade meal, likes potato with carrott, cauliflower, swede, cheese and most pureed fruits. However have tried other bits and he won't really take them. However happly takes all the jars!!!!

Has anyone elses baby been like this? I feel like he is having more jars than homemade, at this stage will this make a big difference!!!

I have put posts on here before, as I sometimes have noooooo idea what to give him!!! He is still having everything quite smooth at this stage!!!
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 pm 
Post subject:
i never did jars. my friend did and it smelt nice, but i tried some once (i think it was sausage and beans) and it tasted nothing like sausage and beans, and i think that they get used to that, and then when you introduce home made food it tastes completely different so they reject it. i also tried a fruit jar once, and thought it tasted artificially sweet

kelchatters
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:04 pm 
Post subject:
Thats what I think, a few of them taste terrible!!! LOL.....

I will have to start trying to perserve and do homemade bits. Have no idea what to do him really as he is still having everything smooth!!!

xxx
Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:38 pm 
Post subject:
Why don't you try giving him them in chunks to feed himself? Carrots, broccoli, courgette, peas, cauliflower, meat, fish, cheese, pasta, toast, sweet corn. There are quite a few ladies on here who have done blw, my sister did with her second and he has just turned 1 and eats what they do. He had homemade lasagne at 10 months. I wish I'd have done it with mine. I didn't use jars with any of them though.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:01 am 
Post subject:
kelchatters wrote:
Thats what I think, a few of them taste terrible!!! LOL.....

I will have to start trying to perserve and do homemade bits. Have no idea what to do him really as he is still having everything smooth!!!

xxx

you can give pretty much anything except nuts and honey from 6 months. if you havnt got one, invest in a hand blender, they are about £5 and brilliant, just put everything in a bowl and blend it up, and you can get the consistency you want, rather then jars which tend to be runny to start then runny with lumps!

i would start giving finger foods aswell, like shell suggested.

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
i did homemade all the time unless we went out as restaurants dont like warming homemade food Mad but i think jar food is very bland.

not doing the whole ice cubes thing this time around, i am so doing baby led weaning. no pureeing for me! i hated it!

3rdtimeluckyyy
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 pm 
Post subject:
My son went from home made foods to jars for a while due to us going on holiday and not having the right facilities to do homemade meals for him and now were home he isn't interested in homemade meals but will happily eat jars Sad so sort of in the same boat. He's 6months and has been eatting solids since 4 months also. I'm going to go back to giving him homemade things such as purée carrot etc and it's more like jar food and go forward again from there... Kinda feel like we're having to go back wards slightly to get back to where we were x

Bobski1980
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:34 pm 
Post subject:
I did a weaning course and they said if they still don't like it after trying it 15 times then they just don't like it. I would keep trying, it takes a while. I started my little boy on solids at 4 months and started with banana flavour baby cereal and a few jars. My boy now has a sweet tooth as I didn't realise how much sugar was added to some baby foods, but I also thought they tasted very artificial. The only brand I thought was nice was Ella's kitchen. I have now stopped with all shop bought baby food except baby porridge which has nothing naughty in it. I give my boy home made pureed fruit and vegentables. He is taking a while with each flavour but some babie's just take time where-as others are happy to eat anything. I have tried sweet potatoe loads of times and sometimes he will eat it, other days he won't. When he is 6 months (couple of weeks) I am going to introduce finger food and do a mix of mashed food and BLW. I also had the same problem on holiday and had to do jars for a week, no where will heat anything up anymore! My sister has some Tommy Tippee insulation bags and they keep food hot nearly all day, so you can heat it before you go out and no it's ready when your baby needs it. Smile
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:54 pm 
Post subject:
Bobski1980 wrote:
I did a weaning course and they said if they still don't like it after trying it 15 times then they just don't like it.

thats absolute rubbish! it can take 20+ times for a baby to accept a new taste as their taste buds are constantly changing you should take the food away for a week or 2 then reintroduce it. there are foods that i wouldnt eat as a child that i will now, and also foods that i used to eat that i cant stand.

also you should try and introduce as much variety as possible before 1 as thats when they start to get more fussy about trying new things.

Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm 
Post subject:
Oh is it...that's told me then. Shocked
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Post subject:
Bobski1980 wrote:
Oh is it...that's told me then. Shocked

im not getting at you, just the idiots that told you that. if you have ever seen supernanny where she deals with eating problems she will get kids to eat all sorts of foods their parents say they dont like.

i was told by my HV when weaning, and again by a different HV last year about dealing with a fussy toddler to just offer foods and if they turn them down, leave it a few weeks and try again.

polkadottymummy
Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:45 pm 
Post subject:
I'm having trouble here as well ladies. Been weaning by baby for just over a month now and he's taken to it really well, however we started at 4 1/2 months so was told not to give him finger food and at the time my blender was broken with a huge crack , so we started on baby jars. he loves them and will take a massive variety (i wait 3 days between trying new flavours) however when ive tried giving him pureed home made stuff he refuses it and clamps his mouth shut.

i dont mind for now but how can i make the transition between jars and home made with as much ease as possible? xxx
xCupcakex
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:25 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried mixing the jars with some homemade stuff? Maybe use like a gravy/sauce so that flavour they are used to is there but with a little added texture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular