Any advice on IVF for a 38 year old

Positive38
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:27 am 
Post subject: Any advice on IVF for a 38 year old
Hi Ladies,
I am new this site... having been TTC for past 18 months and having 10 rounds of chlomid and ovarian drilling we have decided that enough is enough. I have PCOS and my periods are regular around 35 days most months. My partners sperm is 5 x the average so we dont have any problem on his side.

We are booked for our consultation at Herts and Essex Fertility centre in a few weeks with a starting date of last week in October. right now going through process of getting our blood tests done through GP etc to save some money.

we have said we will give it 2 goes and then call it a day but keeping an open mind.
we are both healthy and active, non smokers ....

is there anyone going through anything similar who would like to chat?

xxx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:42 am 
Post subject:
Hi there positive,

We've just completed our first round of Ivf with Icsi in August at Herts and Essex (unfortunately it didnt work) So we are going ahead with a frozen embryo transfer which will probably take place around early to mid November ish. Got our consultation and treatment information appointment booked for the 8th October. I found the clinic lovely and overall didnt find the process stressful at all, to be honest it was a relief to have it taken out of our hands so to speak. I wont lie towards the end physically I did find it hard because of how well I responded to the drugs but other than that it was a breeze. Any qs ask away. May even be in the clinic at the same time at some point lol x

Claire
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am 
Post subject:
Hi Claire, really nice to hear from you.

so is this your first lot of IVF what is the ICSI part? do you mind me asking how old you are?
I am so, so sorry that your first round didnt work out.... but you managed to freeze some embyos which is positive news. what consultant are you under.
i saw William yesterday for free chat and he was just so great.....
our appointment is tue 2nd october..... and will be attending the open evening next wed night.

Such a strange time right now, i resigned from my job in the city to lessen the stress and 6 weeks on i now cant take perm work because of the ivf process... need to feel my days up right now.

be nice to stay in touch could really do with the support and just chit chat right now

Nicky xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
It was our first round yes, we had to pay privately because the nhs changed the guidelines of who was entitled to free cycles. I have a son from a previous relationship and they changed the criteria to exclude any couples who have children together or other wise. Im 32 now , we had Ivf with Icsi because my partners sample wasnt quite at normal levels. The icsi part is where single sperms are injected into each egg. Luckily I responded very well and we got 29 eggs in total, 23 were fertilised , 18 made it to day 3 and 12 made it to blastocyst. We had 1 replaced and 11 frozen thank god.
Im not sure what consultant we was actually under lol, I think it was Michael but to be honest we only ever met the consultants twice - Michael did my egg collection and another consultant did my transfer cant even recall his name :O.
It really is an odd time going through Ivf, Im very lucky that I can stay at home and my partner works. Its just frustrating that he has to use his holiday days up for the treatment. Have you started getting in the habit of drinking lots of water yet?

Theres another thread in this section too think its titled 'Anyone doing Ivf/iui/icsi' where theres several of us chatting etc...
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:07 pm 
Post subject:
Guidelines are just pants to be honest i just got my NHS referral through and apppointment is November!! and that isnt even with a consultant so Private is the only option.
you were so lucky to have such a good response I really hope and pray that this time things work out for you both
you are lucky being at home me too although feels very odd have worked since i was 16 and never had break, just means we cant have any luxeries right now but this is what we both want.
has your partner spoken to his work about your IVF i think my parnter is telling his boss so he can take the time off.
weeing so much today with the copious amounts of water LOL
i just joined the other thread thank you xx
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:47 pm 
Post subject:
We're keeping everything crossed that the frozen transfer will be successful not sure how much I can carry on doing this and getting disappointments as we've been trying for 5 yrs now with various ops and losses along the way. We are going to ask the clinic about putting 2 embryos back but I doubt they will because of my age and hfea guidelines about multiple births. O/hs work are pretty good in that they know the situation and it isnt a problem with what days he has off but its still days that could be spent on breaks away etc... if you get me.
I used to measure my water out, I never realised until I started drinking it how hard it actually was and that I obviously dont drink any where near enough normally. Need to get back into the habit again as I will be going on drugs again before the transfer. x
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
its such a rollercoaster of emotions...5yrs is a long time u poor thing we are strong us women.im downing water as we speak.i didnt drink enough when on chlomid.x
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

im 38 nearly 39 !!! just thinking of going for our 3rd round of ivf... the last 2 cycle both worked with no stresses during the treatment and i went to term with both babies.... i was 36 & 37 when i gave birth to our ivf babies...

any questions fire away ...

xxx

Xavier lifes pure joy
Fluffy2
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hey hon, I am 38 (39 in Dec). After nearly 4 years of TTC, 2 miscarriages from natural pregnancies, 6 months of clomid etc we had our first round of IVF in April.

I had the short protocol (which I massivley recommend) and am sat here 7 months pregnant Smile

Good luck, I just wanted to show you it can work at our age. There's lots you can do with diet, acupuncture, relaxation therapies, supplements etc. If you want any information, please feel free to PM me.

Jxx
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:34 pm 
Post subject:
Oooo Sharon how exciting Smile Have you thought any more about another round since this post x
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular