What were your experiences with the ERPC?

HelleBelle
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:59 pm 
Post subject: What were your experiences with the ERPC?
Hiya, I'm back here again unfortunately. The girls on this forum were so lovely and supportive during my 1st miscarriage that this is pretty much the first place I've turned to this time.

I had a private scan yesterday (was worried as I had no pg symptoms) which revealed that despite being 9wks I had an empty sac dating around 5wks, so its a missed miscarriage which is exactly what I had last time. I had a rather horrific experience last time by opting to try the natural removal method (didn't work) and then having to have the pills inserted (worse pain than childbirth in my opinion!!). I simply cant face those methods again so am thinking of opting for the ERPC but am a wuss when it comes to operations and going under anesthetic - i've never had either so am scared of the unknown basically. What did other people think of the ERPC? Was it painful? What was the recovery time like? x

mmc no2: May 2012
mc no3: October 2012
HelleBelle
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:03 am 
Post subject:
If it helps, the ERPC is just another name for the DnC, sorry should have made that clear! Am now booked in for scan on Monday to see if miscarriage is complete as I've had some bleeding. Not holding out much hope as it took so long last time so I'm still betting on having the DnC Sad Quite scared! Any responses will be so helpful x

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject:
Ah hun Im so sorry for your loss.

When I had my mc's they were complete and so I didnt need a DnC so I cant help there sorry. xx

LianneJane5687
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, so sorry for your loss!
I had the same thing as you've experienced, in 2010!

I had to have an early scan at 5 weeks due to have a bit of abdominal pain and as it was my first pregnancy everything worried me! All was fine at my scan and then a few days later i was going to Wales for 4 weeks so she told me to go back for another scan the day after i come back (there was no EPU near to where i was in Wales)
All the while i was in Wales i could barely get out of bed, had a slight bit of brown blood (which was old blood) but had quite a lot of abdominal pain (which i was told was normal), i still had all the pregnancy symptoms, was still getting positive results and constantly being sick i couldn't keep anything down! I thought all this was normal pregnancy stuff.
I came back from Wales and that evening in bed i said to my OH that i felt as though it was all going to go wrong!
At my scan it revealed the baby had stopped growing at 5 weeks! We were both devastated but they asked me if i wanted it to come away naturally or did i want the DnC so i opted for the DnC as i felt as though i'd judt be prolonging it even more!
The chose to scan me the following week just to be sure and that week was the longest week of my life...even though i knew it was over i just clung to a tiny bit of hope but went for the scan and was still measuring at 5 weeks so they kept me in for my Operation! It was heartbreaking and all i kept saying was 'i don't want them to take my baby away' (i'm crying just writing this) but afterwards i felt relieved knowing i'd made that choice!
I pray to god i never have to go through it again but if i did i'd choose the DnC again!

I just felt i had to share my story with you, being in a similar situation.

Again, really sorry for your loss hun

Last edited by LianneJane5687 on Sat May 26, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
LianneJane5687
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
I forgot to add, it was the first operation i'd had since i was little and i was petrified, but really the whole anaestetic thing wasn't nearly as bad as what i thought it would be! i remember them inserting some liquid into my veins and it felt cold and a little bit achey, the surgeon told me to look at the ceiling and was decribing a holiday, i remember him counting down and got to about 5 and the next thing i know i was waking up...very weird

HelleBelle
Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya just logged on here again and seen your reply Leanne, thank you so much! Sorry its taken me so long to reply, I kind of stayed away from all pregnancy related things for a while as was a bit upset after the last miscarriage. Luckily I never needed the DnC in the end, it all came away naturally which was actually the last thing I was expecting as the first one took weeks and weeks to go! I was even in work when it happened as I was so sure I'd be waiting for an operation! Ha! Shocked

Anyway thanks for your reply and sorry for your your own loss, these things are never easy. I'm now back to driving myself mental TTC....! x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> TTC After Miscarriage All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular