A situation!!

curlywurlysue
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:32 am 
Post subject: A situation!!
My LO is 2.5 years, and started potty training 2 weeks ago and doing really well. But it has brought new problems
at bed time. The normal routine is daddy takes her upstairs and by the time they get to top of stairs LO says 'I need a wee wee' so he takes her to toilet then they do hand wash and brush teeth. Go back to bedroom have a sing song and story then she goes to sleep in cot. And sleeps through very well.
Now for the last two nights she has become obsessed with asking for a wee, before bed and it gets very repetitive for up to half hour to 45 mins then daddy puts her in cot and explains its bed time as soon as he put her in cot she cries 'I don't want to go to sleep' then starts to put her foot on top of side of cot to try and climb out. (she has climbed out once months ago and never done it again). This is when he daddy gets exasperated with it all and I take over and talk to her about nightime and sleep and leave the room. I then stay outside door while she cries herself to sleep. Last night it only took 5 mins control crying for her to sleep.
She is a very strong willed confident girl she has given up naps in the day and totally refuses to wear nappies and will only wear pull ups because she is a big girl?!?! Hence starting potty training.
Now what I am asking do I carry on control crying till next fri evening and take sides of cot then and go for it over weekend as will have more time as we both work in the week and she has nursery.
We are both exhausted with her the battles are endless at moment. I think it's purely a battle to sleep and trying it on as she is very manipulative with her daddy. But I am more strict with lo but he now sees that he has been very soft with her so she can wrap him round her finger at bedtime. But he finds it hard to be harsh with her being a little girl.
All views are welcomed thanks
Sue x
StaceyRD
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:39 am 
Post subject:
I think you need to keep with telling her it's bedtime now, you can do lots of wee wees tomorrow. My Isabelle went through a patch like that - it's just because potty training is so new and exciting to them they don't want to stop. Try explaining to your OH it's not mean and she's just trying to test ways to stay up longer - typical toddler! Taking the sides off the cot would be a really good idea if she can climb out though. Good luck! Smile x

curlywurlysue
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:46 am 
Post subject:
Hi Stacey thank you for your early reply, I know the sides have to come off I just dread the 100 times in and out of bed routine especially as we are all up for work and nursery the next day.
I was planning on taking sides off at Xmas when I have two weeks off work will see how this week goes then make a decision by Friday
Sue x
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:03 am 
Post subject:
i would put a gate on the bedroom door. thats what i did with my daughter and i would just ignore her when she got out of bed and eventually she got the message that she needed to stay in bed.

i would also put a potty in her bedroom, so when she starts asking for a wee, tell her that she will have to use the potty. the novelty will soon wear off.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:26 am 
Post subject:
Maybe its the cot thats the problem as she's worried she can't get out if she needs a wee ?
I would either take the side of or get her a toddler bed, she might try and come out qa few times but generally they're not as bad as you expect them to be , I never tiried toilet training with any of mine still in a cot so i don't know how that would work ? But I would have thought she might find it confusing to be told to wee in the potty or toilet during the day but in her pull up at night Question xx
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:08 am 
Post subject:
You might be surprised. I was expecting a nightmare time when I switched my lo to a toddler bed but we had one night where he kept getting up and other than that he just curls up and goes to sleep

curlywurlysue
Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:58 pm 
Post subject:
Well she went to bed a dream tonight ..Wink no much stalling
just one trip to toilet, teeth brushed and hand wash all in one go!!!
Lovely story from daddy kiss goodnight and went straight to sleep straight away.
I think she was way to Knackered for too many games after the last two nights.
Maybe she thought I will see if the boundaries are still the same xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular