Cannot sit down with baby!

Perjubs
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm 
Post subject: Cannot sit down with baby!
Hi all, this is my last resort since the health visitor and doctors haven't offered much help and don't seem too interested.

My partner is constantly tied up by our 3 month (almost 4) son, she literally gets a few hours (at most) per day to do something other than hold him and that needs to be stood up. If she puts him down in/on anything he cries, if she even holds him whilst sitting down he cries and more often than not lately he cries himself to sleep and cries whenever she tries to feed him (breast feeding) and the same applies to me, he is no happier with me or anyone else for that matter.

We have tried everything we can think of including all manner of different positions and colic remedies but nothing settles him. As you might imagine she is getting very stressed out by having to either walk round all the time carrying him whilst looking after our 3 year old daughter or listening to him scream, As I've said to the doctors it truly is one or the other.

Does anyone know of a reason why he will not sit quietly or allow us to sit down with him?
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
I'm afraid I don't have an answer, just sympathy. This sounds exactly like George. He was just a very fussy Baby and extremely hard work. He did get better though around 6 months. He is still a bit of a winger but no where near as bad.

He has learnt to self settle at night (around 7 months) but is still difficult to get to slepp in the day.

The bath used to settle George, also he used to like rhythmical music. Also he would sleep sometimes when out in his pram.
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:31 pm 
Post subject:
When you sit down with him are you holding him so he's laying flat more? If so sounds like it might be reflux to me. Have you tried playing white noise?

Perjubs
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
dellabobella wrote:
When you sit down with him are you holding him so he's laying flat more? If so sounds like it might be reflux to me. Have you tried playing white noise?

We have tried white noise, yeah and it doesn't work (except when we're outside and his is in the pram)

As for his position, we have tried it all, both sitting and standing.
GreenFish
Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:50 pm 
Post subject:
have you had a read of the 'happiest baby on the block' book? it offers a bunch of advice for dealing with colic, but also for ruling out medical causes of crying.

my sympathy ... it sounds tough. i guess you've tried different slings and wraps and carriers? to at least free up her hands ... and those bouncy chairs/swings that vibrate and swing and play white noise? a combination of swaddling, movement, noise?

good luck, i hope it gets better soon!

mand136
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am 
Post subject:
This was exactly what Mia was like and its only in the last week that things have started to settle,she was diagnosed with silent reflux and is now on medicine,prescription milk and a thickener.
The only time she was not crying was when she was being held upright,even trying to cuddle her in our arms would make her cry and get agitated.We were told about propping her up,treating her for colic etc etc.
I would make an app to see the gp and get checked over,my hv was as good as useless and made me just think that she wanted cuddles and that we should just go with the flow and eventually she would settle,we had 5 weeks of hell!!!

I really feel for you as i know it is extremely mentally and physically draining.We have a completely different baby since a visit to the gp Smile

Hope things settle for you soon XX
Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 pm 
Post subject:
I'm afraid I can't give you any possible reasons for your son's behaviour but I can offer a possible solution to free up your hands. A stretchy wrap such as the Moby, Sleep Wrap etc hold the baby against you in the same position you would naturally hold him. It's nice and snug and he would feel like he was being held yet you'd have both hands free to do housework, play with sibling etc. You can also feed in it if you adjust positioning slightly and I used to feed DS whilst walking round the supermarket. It's certainly worth a try.

Just out of interest, was he born vaginally or C Section? My niece was section and had lots of issues being very grouchy generally, pain before she pooed or weed, didn't like being on her back etc. She finally saw a cranial osteopath at 2 months old and after 2 treatments she was a different baby. Even vaginally born babies can have issues which can be solved by seeing an osteopath or chiropractor.

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. How are things now? Any better?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular