16 weeks and worrying about work.

DaisyElla
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:13 pm 
Post subject: 16 weeks and worrying about work.
Hiya,

Last edited by DaisyElla on Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:30 pm 
Post subject:
I take it you dont have a bump yet then or are you saying its just wind lol.

Erm they cant not give you the job because your pregnant, but if they come up with a different reason they can say they dont want you.So be on best behavior!!

My sister had a girl come for an 2nd interview and was told she had the job but when she said im pregnant they said it wasnt there for her anymore and she sued!! And thats without working a day at all there!

Hope this helps xx
booter
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Wowee,

Now, don't quote me on this but as far as I know, because your on a 3 month trial period and technically not an 'employee' unless you have a contract of employment? I think the employer is under no obligation to offer maternity leave while you are in the 3 month trial period, however as Mikhaela says, legally they can't not offer you the job because you are pregnant.

Here is a link for you http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10029285
As an 'employee' you have the right to 26 weeks of 'Ordinary Maternity Leave' and 26 weeks 'Additional Maternity Leave' - making one year in total. Provided you meet certain notification requirements, you can take this no matter how long you've been with your employer, how many hours you work or how much you're paid. Try to find out what the 'notification requirements' are, try citizens advice.

Good luck Wowee, although try to gather all the info soon as you can as no douibt you will start to show soon!! x
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
u have to work there a certain amount of time to qualify maternity pay through employer anyway! if u started work at 3 months pregnant im dont think u would be entitled to anything as if u were everyone who is jobless and finds out theyre pregnant would start work to get maternity pay for 9 months.
izzy0308
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thats not true.. It says on the gov website you ARE entitled to maternity pay regardless of the time you have been with your employer (stat pay that is)

xx
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:04 pm 
Post subject:
as a previous employer who got stung by someone who didnt tell us she was pregnant etc i would honestly say the law and the rights are very favourable to you the employee - they will be up in tribunal in a flash if they terminated your contract or anything if you said you were pregnant - however the longer you keep it secret the more "power" they have becuase is could be construed that you were dishonest - so tell them thats my advice - BE HONEST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular