Advice for my sick 3 year old

Green82
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:48 am 
Post subject: Advice for my sick 3 year old
Hi ladies,

Looking for some advice if anyone can help?

My little girl is 3 and she's been sick for over a week now, phoned docs on the tue they said to only give yoghurt, which I've done for at least 2 days, another doc says to starve her for 24 hrs, done that twice which was very hard, took her to the docs on Friday and she was useless, just said she clearly doesn't need to go to hospital does she?!!!! Maybe not but she is ill! Thought she was better yesterday as she seemed all happy and playing as normal, gave her a little food, dry toast and banana wasn't much but then late at night she spewed loads and loads!!!!

She seems to be sick one day, appears to be better the next day, give her a bit of food and she's sick again Sad
Gonna stick to just a small amount of yoghurt today I think....only giving her cooled boiled water too

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:56 am 
Post subject:
hi hun sounds like she's gotten a wee bug and now her tummys sensitive afterwards.personally I'd get as much fluid into her as possible try soups and some dry rolls , nice light foods that won't be heavy on her tummy.after a week of being ill she'll be needing something now and I take what doctors say with a pinch of salt these days.I can't believe they still say starve them.I'm of the opinion if they are hungry they'll eat, if they're unwell they'll not have an appetite. and even if she is sick it won't be all of what she's had and she will still be getting something into her.poor love hope she's feeling better soon xxx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 am 
Post subject:
I agree, plenty of fluids and light food, unfortunately tummy bugs can last up to 14 days, we had it when charlotte was 10 weeeks, and it bloody lasted, we just did small an often, maybe some dioralyte too to replace salts xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 am 
Post subject:
I agree, give things like soup for now, plenty of fluids and rest. I have never in my life heard a doc say to starve a child for a full day Shocked Like its already been said, if shes hungry she'll eat and if shes feeling sick she wont want to. Hope shes better soon x

Green82
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:34 am 
Post subject:
Thanks girls, should I stick to light food for at least another couple of days? She just keeps asking for food poor wee soul Crying or Very sad I am feeding her just trying not to give too much.....got that dioralyte sachets too so will keep giving her them, she's not too keen on the taste though

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:45 am 
Post subject:
Green82 wrote:
Thanks girls, should I stick to light food for at least another couple of days? She just keeps asking for food poor wee soul Crying or Very sad I am feeding her just trying not to give too much.....got that dioralyte sachets too so will keep giving her them, she's not too keen on the taste though

you can add squash to them to make them taste better. are you using the plain ones or the flavoured ones? i always found the blackcurrent tasted the best

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:13 am 
Post subject:
Try maybe just some soup for today then tomorrow try something a bit more if she feels up to it. Just sort of ease her back onto her normal food x

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:24 am 
Post subject:
jennaxhx wrote:
I agree, give things like soup for now, plenty of fluids and rest. I have never in my life heard a doc say to starve a child for a full day Shocked Like its already been said, if shes hungry she'll eat and if shes feeling sick she wont want to. Hope shes better soon x

I have worked in pharmacy for over 10 years and that used to be the norm with tummy bugs, fluids but starve the child for 24 hours Shocked how cruel!!!

If she is anything like mine they wont eat soup, so just bland things really I tend to stay away from dairy and fruit when they are ill as it seems to sit funny in their tummies and doesnt settle right, plus it honks when it comes back up lol!

I always give toast, crumpets, pancakes, weetabix with warm water, we need high carb foods for Archie.

Awww hope she feels better soon xx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 am 
Post subject:
Well maybe so but i havent heard of it lol i can remember times when i had tummy bugs as a little girl in the 90s and even then the doc told my mum just stick with soup and clear fluids x

youcanhumpmyleg
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:05 am 
Post subject:
if my ava has a bug we always get telled too starve her for 24 hours and we always do, hope Avas better soon green !! x x
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:11 am 
Post subject:
Yeah I'm using the black currant ones but she doesn't like them so added a little diluting juice to it, got a prescription for the unflavoured ones too.

The only other time that she has been sick was when she was just under a year old and we were told to starve her for 24 hours then and OMG that was hard but it did work.

No sickness last night or yesterday Very Happy Very Happy gonna stick to dry toast/oatcakes and yoghurt today too and take it from there!

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:37 am 
Post subject:
i was always told plenty of fluids, and if they feel like eating plain stuff like dry toast, plain digestive biscuits, or rich tea biscuits.

MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:09 am 
Post subject:
I thought yoghurt was the last thing you gave as it's dairy and that can upset an already ill stomach.

Hope she's better now x

Green82
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:35 am 
Post subject:
MichelleHx wrote:
I thought yoghurt was the last thing you gave as it's dairy and that can upset an already ill stomach.

Hope she's better now x

I thought so too but 2 doctors advised me too give her that...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular