17 month old - crying at night - don't know what to do!!!

Ellasanti
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 pm 
Post subject: 17 month old - crying at night - don't know what to do!!!
Hi,

I really hope someone can offer some advice as none of my friends with babies the same age are going through the same as me and I don't know what to do!!!

My daughter, who is just over 17 months old and always been a brilliant sleeper, has started waking up crying at least once every night, anytime between 11pm and 3am. This has been going on for about two months now. When we go in to see her she's still laying down, as if she wants to be asleep but something is stopping her. She's never sitting or standing up in her cot so she's not asking to be picked up or just wants attention. She usually has her fingers in her mouth so we naturally assume it's her big teeth coming through at the back which is causing her pain. However, this has been going on for such a long time that I'm wondering if it's something else. People keep telling me that it's a phase and it'll pass soon but I'm losing hope of that happening. My husband and I both work full time so this is killing us but, my main concern is that she's not getting the sleep she needs and she just looks so tired all of the time. We give her calpol and teething powders when she seems in real pain but I can't keep on giving her medicine every single night. I'm taking her to the doctors this week to get her checked out although I'm not really sure what they're going to look for.
Can someone offer any kind of advice. By the way, this still happens even if she's been in a lovely mood during the day and eaten and drank well.

Please help!!!!!! Anyone?

Thanks in advance. Carla.xx
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, my little boy is 16 months and until recently always slept at least 12 hours no wake ups. After his mmr he had a cough, then got his molars, then canines and we've had a few months of disturbed nights too. He got into the habit of me coming in and I think he started waking for the attention. The difference is he sits or stands up so I have now started saying lye down and go back to sleep and he usually does and the wake ups are getting less. I just wonder whether its something to do with their age, maybe learing lots and discovering their independence, maybe things playing on their minds at night.

Sorry, that wasnt very helpful! I guess Im just saying you're not alone and hopefully the phase will pass soon. Just a thought, could she be cold? I started setting the heating to come on early as my lo was waking at half 5/6 every morning, with the heating coming on at half 5 he sleeps til a more normal time.
Ellasanti
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:05 am 
Post subject:
Hi,
Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry that you've been through something similar. I suppose it could well be an age thing and their little brains are working ten to the dozen with all of the new things they're learning. I've thought about whether she could be cold but I don't think that's the problem as it doesn't seem to matter what we dress her in, she still wakes up.
Like you said, hopefully it will pass soon. I'm taking her to the doctor soon so will get her checked to make sure there's nothing else underlying going on.
Thanks again for replying, it's much appreciated!
Carla.xx
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thats ok, let me know what the doctor says. We had 4.45am crying this morning ans 6am awake for the day! I unfortunately couldnt get back to sleep inbetween, so very tired today. My lo seems very hungry when he wakes so I'm going to try giving him a snack at bedtime tonight to see if that makes a difference!
AllyG
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I can totally sympathise with your middle of the night wake ups. My lo is almost 18 months and his sleeping is so unpredictable. Some nights he sleeps straight through for 11/11 and half hours (v rarely does 12 hrs) and other nights he wakes up calling out for us but is usually sitting up.

His other weapon to get us in to him is because he's thrown his comfort bear out of the cot! I initially blamed teething too but since he still only has 6 teeth and the last one came through in March (!!) I've given up thinking he's ever going to get anymore!!!

xxx

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am 
Post subject:
Hi. Ohh, its terrible when you are getting up every night. Maybe their waking started because of something like teething, but now its just more of a "routine" for them?
If you think that, maybe try controlled crying? We did it with our 18 month old and it worked a charm, he needed very little controlled crying and the waking up in the night stopped.
Good luck! Smile xxx

Ellasanti
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 am 
Post subject:
Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I would have given controlled crying a go if I didn't think Sophie was in pain, but it's quite clear that she was, it wasn't just an attention thing.
I took her to the doctors this morning and the doctor said that she has colic! It all seems to make sense now. She's got quite a big belly but I just thought it was her shape, but now it seems that she's quite bloated due to trapped wind. The doctor said that getting her to drink more water will help (she's never been a good drinker!) but in addition to this, I've just bought some gripe water.
Thanks again for all of your replies and suggestions. Fingers crossed the gripe water will be the answer to our sleepy prayers!
Good luck to you and all your little ones.
Carla.xxx
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm 
Post subject:
Shame, colic is dreadful. Hope the medicine helps her soon. xxx

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Ahh, poor little thing. Hope you can get it sorted now you have an answer and you can all get some decent nights sleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular