Is Breast Best?

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:53 pm 
Post subject: Is Breast Best?
Did any of you see this programme this week, it was with Cherry Healey, whom I really like, she has done some brilliant programmes on pregnancy and children etc. I found this one really interesting as well.

Have any of you with more than one baby BF one and bottle the other? Do you really feel there is a stronger bond with your BF baby? I wouldn't know as I managed to BF very painfully with inverted nipples for 2 weeks and the went to bottle. I can't imagine having a stronger bond with Belle, we are inseparable. But I have never had the experience of BF for a long period of time.

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm 
Post subject:
Would have liked to have seen that.

I have no experience of bottle feeding but I can't see how it makes you bond with your Baby less. Only thing I will say is some of the Mums I know who bottle fed have left Nanny to look after Baby a lot (something you can't do as much if breastfeeding), so guess if your that way inclined the Baby may bond with others more as well.

The one thing I will say is I have a real sense of achievement for having fed George for this long. Knowing I've provided everything to make him strong and healthy. Whether it's fluke but other babies I know who are bottle fed do seem to have suffered from more ailments than George. That said I have a very good immune system so will have passed that on, if you've got a rubbish one then might not make a difference.

Might sound a bit tight but I must have saved loads of money by breastfeeding. Perhaps I should treat myself to new shoes and a bag.
Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:43 pm 
Post subject:
I have a feeling that this is going to turn into one of those debates ... Laughing

I didn't really breastfeed Sebastian. OH pressured me into trying it and I just hated it, from the actual feeling to the pain I experienced with it, so Sebastian went onto bottles. We have a really strong bond and apart from one ear infection hasn't really been ill.

One thing i would be careful for anyone to realise with medical studies ... the research on breastfeeding isn't going to be completely accurate for several reasons, but mainly because of the ways these studies are done. To get pure, authentic research you have to have a controlled clinical trial - say 100 women who have babies split into two groups. One group breastfeeds exclusively and the other bottle feeds. However, these groups both have to have the same type of women in it, i.e. age, educational background, race, etc. It's only from this controlled trials can you really get real scientific data. The only thing is is that you won't get this type of data because its against human rights to control how you feed your child.

The medical studies that you get this so-called data from is something to be weary of. Mainly because of two reasons: one, the data is gathered from other medical studies and two, some of the data gathered can be influenced by the drug companies or whomever is sponsering the study.

I hate it when they claim that breastfeeding makes your child have a higher IQ ... pfff! I wasn't breastfed and my IQ came out at 150 when I was tested in America years ago so its a load of old twaddle in my personal opinion.

My BF bottle fed her first 3 children and then breastfed her youngest son. She's never said that she felt a stronger bond with him but then I've never really asked. If you wanted to know I'd ask her for you?

Quote:
Might sound a bit tight but I must have saved loads of money by breastfeeding. Perhaps I should treat myself to new shoes and a bag.
#

Yes you've saved yourself a lot of money Very Happy Nine months at £9 a tub makes £324 so you definately deserve to treat yourself!

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:40 am 
Post subject:
I am pro choice whether it be breast or bottle. I can't breast feed anyway but I don't feel that you have any lesson a bond bottle feeding. You still nurse your baby when bottle feeding its just the baby isn't attached to your boob. For me bottle feeding was good in the fact I knew exactly how much he was having in the day and had regular feeding times. I felt pressured to breast feed by my midwife and her biggest selling point for breast is best was not nutrients or bonding, no it was a good way of loosing the baby weight!

I feel for those women who desperately wanted to breastfeed and tried but couldn't!
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am 
Post subject:
Hello... Smile
I currently BF but my milk doesnt seem to be filling my lo so im filling her up by putting her on a formula too.. First day today! Confused
I dont think you get a stronger bond as such, i think its more knowing that they need you there and like you say you can leave them more if they are bottle fed..
You could watch the cherry healey program on bbc iplayer i think Smile Xxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:12 am 
Post subject:
i b/f for 4 weeks, but was also giving the odd formula bottle as she never seemed full up on my milk. i was getting plenty of milk, and she was gaining weight, but fed constantly and i was exhausted from it.

i did nearly all the bottle feeds anyway so cant say b/f would have made us have a better bond. i did love b/f and that amazing feeling of nuturing your baby.

sam has only ever been ill twice, one stomach bug and one ear infection. she gets all the usua; colds but i think all children do regardless of how they were fed. she has got mild eczema but my friends son (who was exclusively b/f) has got terrible allergies and eczema.

from what i understand the biggest benefit is in the colostrum so its the first few days that really make a difference.

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:34 am 
Post subject:
I didn't BF Isobel for long - I wasn't producing enough milk despite going to a breast feeding clinic thing and the HV helping me. She does get coughs every now and then but I don't think this was because she was bottle fed, I'm fully expecting her to be asthmatic as it runs in both sides of the family. It would have been lovely to BF but I couldn't so (although at the time I felt horrific), never mind! I don't think it has meant that Isobel and I have less of a bond but I do think it means that she and my OH are closer than they would have been. I work part-time so I can be at home with her but bottle feeding meant that my OH could have some close, quiet time with her.
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 am 
Post subject:
See, my Belle has been ill quite a lot, she has asthma and when she was young was in hospital 3 times with bronchitis, I always wonder (drive myself crazy with guilt) as to wether or not it is because I bottle fed her, but my Mum breast fed my bro and not me and he is the one with bad asthma. So i think its a genetic thing.

I really don't agree with the breast bullies, but I don't find this such a big deal as when I was go with Belle, the health care attitude seems to be a lot more pro choice now, I think many women were suffering from PND as a result of the pressure put on them to BF and them not being able to.

I remember when I was pg with Belle I went to a BF ante natal class and a young girl asked about bottle feeding and the woman refused to answer her question or even talk about bottle feeding! Shocked The poor girl must have felt awful!

Im really hoping to give it another go this time (the die of sterilising bottles for the next year or so -eugh!) but I am not putting anywhere near as much pressure on myself this time!

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 am 
Post subject:
i saw this and really felt for the young girl who was filming herself feeding at night 20 weeks ago that was me!

i bottle fed expressed milk with my first ( due to her jaundice ) and am breastfeeding my son. i dont think the bond is any different. however the breastfeeding is definately easier than bottle feeding!

i was in pain the first few weeks but glad i pushed on through but i totally understand those mothers who dont as breastfeeding in the early days isnt the easy task most midwives and health visitors make it out to be.

as long as the baby is being fed and loved whos to say which way is best?

lysianassa
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 am 
Post subject:
Quote:
as long as the baby is being fed and loved whos to say which way is best?

Exactly. I don't think it could be said any better Very Happy

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 am 
Post subject:
I b/f and bottle fed both of mine but b/f both only for short periods as I physically couldn't do it. like someone else mentioned I did all the feeds with mine so as much as I'd love to say it was great being able to give them to someone to feed it didn't really happen! I can honestly say I couldn't possibly imagine having an even stronger bond with either of mh children and I really think that bit of the 'argument' if you like regarding the positives of breast feeding is utter tosh coz I think you love your baby all the same how u feed them makes no difference as long as they are getting fed and are content. I will say the guilt trip/pressure that I had off individuals I'll add, not professionals , about breast is best etc was beyond irritating and interfering in my opinion and think in some cases people should just keep their noses out of other peoples decisions!!!

so basically, well done to all the mummies who breastfeed and well done to all the mummies who don't. raising our children is a stressful, difficult, overwhelming and amazing experience in itself and I think the sort of competition that we as women have allowed ourselves to get sucked into is just silly in my opinion. (I'm not saying the threads competitive btw I mean in general) xxx

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 am 
Post subject:
I am also pro choice. I think whether you want to breast or bottle feed is fine and you shouldn't feel pressured into doing either.

The only thing I don't like is the excuses for not breastfeeding as woman are designed to do it and if it didn't work then humans would have died out long ago, just say its not your thing, its fine and your choice. Breastfeeding is extremely difficult at times and with all the formula on the market it is easy to cave. At times I know I would have given it up if I have had formula in the house. Now Max is 6 months old now he's started biting so its tempting again to switch but I've come this far.....

Terri xx

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 am 
Post subject:
xxOliverAndMaxsMummyxx wrote:
I am also pro choice. I think whether you want to breast or bottle feed is fine and you shouldn't feel pressured into doing either.

The only thing I don't like is the excuses for not breastfeeding as woman are designed to do it and if it didn't work then humans would have died out long ago, just say its not your thing, its fine and your choice. Breastfeeding is extremely difficult at times and with all the formula on the market it is easy to cave. At times I know I would have given it up if I have had formula in the house. Now Max is 6 months old now he's started biting so its tempting again to switch but I've come this far.....

Terri xx

I don't think its always as black and white, some women just can't physically do it, and this has been the case for centuries, hence the need for milk nurses. But some of the excuses on this programme I found very shallow, one girl said her boobs were for sex not for babies, I was quite shocked by this attitude.

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:14 am 
Post subject:
wannaBmummy wrote:
xxOliverAndMaxsMummyxx wrote:

Terri xx

I don't think its always as black and white, some women just can't physically do it, and this has been the case for centuries, hence the need for milk nurses. But some of the excuses on this programme I found very shallow, one girl said her boobs were for sex not for babies, I was quite shocked by this attitude.

I think therein lies the issue of breast feeding in public etc as that's society tats programmed her to sexualise breasts etc. it's a very sad way to think isn't it. like u said I think everyone should give it a go but if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Mummy2Harry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 am 
Post subject:
I breastfed Harry for 3 weeks and i hated it! my nipples cracked and he was on them constantly...never full and i ended up getting mastitis. I also hated the looks i got in public so i sat in the toilets! Crying or Very sad I am glad i tried and think those who can do it and enjoy...GREAT! But it is not for me and i will be putting this one straight on the bottle, i am not pressuring myself to do it or going to feel guilty! Harry slept a lot better and was fuller from formula! Everyone is different and some can do it some cant! xx
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

Community

Popular