Am I being a prude?

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:04 am 
Post subject: Am I being a prude?
Poppy, who is 4 and has just started school, came home yesterday singing 'I'm sexy and I know it' complete with full-on bum-wiggling! Now this is quite funny to watch, but not what I really want her singing at this age. When I asked her where she had learnt it she said they had done it in 'wake and shake' which is a waking up, exercise thing they do in school each morning. I know she is bound to pick up songs like this from other children etc, but I personally don't think it's appropriate for them to be teaching this to them in school. I feel it's kind of saying it's the right thing to be doing and although if she had picked it up from someone else I can tell her it's not what I want her doing, it's hard to say this when she's learnt it from the teachers!

I went to see her teacher today and very politely and calmly said I wasn't very happy and didn't think it was very appropriate. Her response was to be narky with me and say 'well we won't play it then, but it is their favourite song!'

Am I being unreasonable? I know I can't hide her away from this sort of thing forever and don't expect to, but it's one thing picking it up from older children and quite another for her teachers to be teaching it to her. I don't want to be an awkward parent. I'm a teacher myself so know they do pick these things up. But should a 4 year old be being taught to sing and dance to this?

Sorry for the essay, just want to know if I'm being unreasonable, as was made to feel like I was being a complete prude by the teacher.

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am 
Post subject:
I completely agree with you. I think music videos and songs have gotten WAY too oversexualised and where do we draw the line? if jp came home singing it at the direction of the school I'd not be happy either!

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:13 am 
Post subject:
Thanks, glad I'm not the only one.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 am 
Post subject:
I wouldn't say you were being unreasonable, no, as anything to do with your child is your right however I think the only reason you don't like it is because of what the words create in your mind. The kids don't understand.

If you think of most nursery rhymes and childrens songs, if you really think about them, are about death and drugs. Look at Pinnocio, in the film he gets high as does Dumbo! Kids don't see it that way. There's is also the story book of the woman that swallowed a fly (perhaps she'll die) oh dear!

There are a lot worse songs on the radio all the time in the background that you probably don't notice, they said b**ch on a 6 o'clock Simpsons the other day and they say cr*p in Eastenders. I was defo shocked at the Simpsons though!

I must admit that ever since the song has been out I've always sang the 'wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah' bit for max while holding him and wiggling his bottom and he laughs his head off.

Terri xx

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:21 am 
Post subject:
I understand what you're saying, as I know she doesn't really understand it, but she's a very vocal confident child, so don't really want her walking down the high street singing that at total strangers, which she would!! Laughing Plus it was the sexualised movements that went with it!

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 am 
Post subject:
Aww, try not to worry - kids say/sing the funniest things and they also dance with bum wiggles. As long as she isn't going at it 'Big Fat Gypsy Wedding style' then thats ok Laughing

Terri xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 am 
Post subject:
i dont think i would like the school teaching that sort of music, at her age it should be nursery rhymes.

although as the others have said kids pick up all things. Sams latest is the 'E-lites' cigarette advert off the radio, she keeps singing 'smoking E-Lites'

susanjosh
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:40 am 
Post subject:
I don't even have a child and I know already I wouldn't be keen on them learning that song at nursery .

Though I can understand why it's the kids favourite song as its catchy .

Couple of weeks ago I was driving along the motorway at 3am singing away to it , even given it a little wiggle Laughing

Though I'm going to turn this round , if I was in the car and it came on I don't think I would turn it over if I had a child , so I don't think it's that bad , just don't think it should be encouraged
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am 
Post subject:
cripes!!! I would never have done that song for wake n shake! we used to do 'reach up for the stars' (Steps) and a load of action songs from SingUp etc - but nothing like that... I'd have said it was very inappropriate and I'm not surprised you're upset! If the teacher is narky - I'd take it to the head... surely they have to see how they have to use age-appropriate songs for wake n shake... not just any chart song that may have words in that the children oughten know or use! x

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:41 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for all the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one to think it's inappropriate. I do get what people are saying about not turning off the radio if it were on, and I agree, I wouldn't either. I've got nothing against the song itself. I just feel there;s a difference between what chn will hear anyway on the radio etc and being taught it to sing and dance to in school, especially at such a young age.

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 am 
Post subject:
I think you are completely right. . . .I am shocked that a school would play that song to a group of 4 year olds, that is completely unprofessional

'Ive got passion in my pants and I aint afraid to show it. . . .Im sexy and I know it' . . . . why on earth would you get a group of 4 year olds to sing this? I would have gone to the head teacher and brought up that you thought it was inappropriate.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:55 pm 
Post subject:
I can understand why you're upset and i also agree that kids dont understand what they are actually singing. My fave song at that age was Boom boom boom by the Outhere Brothers and if you know that song you'll know its actually very rude lol but i only realised that when i got older and listened to it again lol

But saying that, i am very shocked that a school would choose to do that song. Even though its not overly rude and they dont understand, a school of all places should have thought not to even take a risk with a song like that. And as for the teacher saying her reasoning was that they like it. So what?! I know someone who teaches at a childrens theatre and the kids were asking to do a dance to Flo Rida- Whistle and she was trying to decide if she should as the lyrics were pretty suggestive. So if a simple afterschool club (with older kids than your daughter) were thinking that way, a school should definitely know better.

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
Post subject:
I am a secondary school teacher and am very careful about what music I play in lessons or around children, I wouldn't play that song to a year 7 group, just incase any parents had an issue with it, so I really wouldn't play it to a group of four year olds. I think its an oversight of the teacher as an individual and I doubt the head teacher would be happy if they knew.

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't be happy either. Like you say children do pick things up and that can't be helped but teaching them it is a different thing altogether.

abiD
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
I agree with you Helen, don't think its atall appropriate for that sort of song to be taught to kids. Its one thing letting them sing along to it, but with the dancing too?! There must be many other songs they can use rather than that one, can we not keep our kiddies innocent that bit longer??! I know its not THAT bad, but having worked in a school myself, I wouldn't think its right for the song to be used in schools. Take it to the head if the teacher was narky, she shouldn't have reacted like that X

Jump to:  

Community

Popular