weaning off breast/formula

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:19 am 
Post subject: weaning off breast/formula
Hi, my girl is coming up 9 months and is on three good meals a day and is now not interested at all in breast feeding (which makes me sad Sad) I was late home yesterday and so for the first time my dh put her to bed just with a bit of cows milk and she slept no problems.

I'm thinking that maybe now is a good time to stop but would I have to supplement her with formula milk of can I just go for normal full fat cows milk? She eats like a horse during the day so is getting a more than adequate diet.

Thanks xx

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:06 am 
Post subject:
They're not really supposed to have cow's milk until they're one. Is rare for them to self wean this young so you may find its a stage that she's going through

Bobski1980
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm 
Post subject:
I agree, they aren't supposed to have cows milk until 1, but you can give formula if you want to. I have been told by my HV that they will gradually reduce their milk themselves as they eat more. With formula feeding they still need 500-600mls of milk a day, I'm not sure how you work it out for breast feeding, but I guess she will let you know when she's thirsty.
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:13 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies, I'll stick to breast feeding then and encourage her more xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:24 am 
Post subject:
By 9 months George was and still is only having 2 breastfeeds a day. Other half was in hospital recently and MIL did put George to bed without a breastfeed but he made up for it in the morning. As for day time feeds George doesn't want them and like your little one eats really well so I'm not going tp force feed him. I'm planning to switch to cows milk at one.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular