Finger food...help!

Bobski1980
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:53 pm 
Post subject: Finger food...help!
I am so worried about giving my bubba finger food incase he chokes, given him a couple of rice cakes and yanked the broken bits out of his mouth in a panic...any help with what to start with and experiences would be much appreciated.

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:48 pm 
Post subject:
we have decided to baby led wean our son which means no purees and straight to finger food and lumps.
my son is almost 6 months (so weve started it 3 weeks early but he can sit up on his own so....) and we have given him big strips of apple and a whole banna to hold, crusts of bread, just this lunchtime we gave him half of a roast potato and carrot strips.
he has 2 teeth so bites off chunks he pushes them around his mouth and then if he doesnt want to swallow them him pushes them out. the only time he coughs a bit is when we pre load some things on a spoon ( like today it was mashed sweede) and he sticks it in his mouth and sucks it to the back of his mouth quickly.
if you let them explore with the food themselves they wont choke but never leave them on there own to eat. we learnt with our daughter that if you show anxiety when they eat it will cause picky eating so my best advice is relax.
gill rapleys book on BLW gives great advice on finger foods.

good luck.

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm 
Post subject:
We did blw so they only have finger food. You just have to let them get on with it. Their gag reflex is further forward so they're not likely to choke. Also, remember if they're making a noise then they're fine

Bobski1980
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:42 pm 
Post subject:
Ok thanks very much, I will give it a go!

gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:32 pm 
Post subject:
sticks of pear, apple, banana, mango etc. Try leaving some skin on as this can help to make it easier to hold.

Chunks of cheese, sandwich soldiers, toasty soldiers, strips of meat, broccoli florets, aparagus sticks, avocado chunks (with skin on), strips of cooked carrot, green beans, baked potato/ sweet potato cut into wedges (j loves the sweet potato this way), omlette strips, mini spanish omlettes (put ingredients into cake tin and bake instead of fry, they hold together well and perfect size to hold), scotch pancakeds in strips or ordinary pancakes in strips, pasta shapes with or without sauce (twisty shapes easier to hold and sauces clings better to them too)

Sorry, got carried away there! hope that helps,

Mandy x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular