4 month old napping in arms

FarmersWife2012
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:38 am 
Post subject: 4 month old napping in arms
Hi Mummy's,I am a first time mum with a gorgeous 17 week old son and I am looking for some advice on how to transition him from napping in my arms to napping in his cot. He currently sleeps at night in his cot in his own room without problems. He is bottle fed and will wake twice for a feed and once for a cuddle and replacement of his dummy however he currently will only take naps in my arms whilst i sit in his rocking chair in his room.
I rock him to sleep everytime which works fine and i enjoy thr cuddles but whereas at night I can lay him down and he'll stay sound asleep in the day he'll last half an hour max and then be wide awake. I try to soothe him back to sleep but he's not interested and begins to talk and coo as if he's been asleep for hours,he doesnt get upset!!
He's tired again very soon after though so has clearly not slept enough.
I'm not trying to rush him into anything he's not ready for but am conscious that he will be attending nursery in the new year when I return to work and this routine won't be possible.
Am I being too keen and should wait until he's older when napping alone will happen on its own or should I gently try to change things before I return to work?! Any tips or advice is very welcome. Thanks xx
AliJo
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
My baby used to only nap on my knee during the day after a feed and if I tried to move her into her cot she would wake up. Like your baby, she slept well in her cot at night. I have always swaddled her at night, but never did during the day. I decided to try a nap routine by swaddling her and feeding her, like I do at bedtime. This is working really well because when she falls asleep after her feed it's easier to move her into her cot without disturbing her. I also think she's begining to acociate being put into her swaddle with going to sleep and it helps her sleep for longer. Hope this helps.
FarmersWife2012
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:00 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for taking the time to reply?! My son used to be swaddled up until a month ago when he out grew them. He now uses a sleeping bag and a product called sleepy wings which he sleeps in all night.I put him in these for his naps too and rock him the same way. The only thing I don't do is offer him some milk like when he goes down for the night?! Maybe this would make a difference or maybe he's just not interested in napping alone?! Lol x
AliJo
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 pm 
Post subject:
I'm surprised he will go to sleep without a feed first. My daughter will only fall asleep by feeding her. I would think if you feed him before a nap he may sleep better and longer as he may not wake up early from hunger? I'd like to know what the sleepy wings are? I'd like to get my baby out of using a swaddle and use a sleeping bag eventually.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:23 am 
Post subject:
The best way to get a baby to sleep undisturbed is put them down awake Question So they can learn to go to sleep on their own, and then once asleep they don't need to be moved Question
At almost 4 months a baby should be able to self settle but it might take a while to get your baby to do that after he's been used to being rocked ,once you do though him waking wont be an issue as you won't need to move him to the cot .
Babies can find it upsetting to fall asleep in one place and wake in another,it can startle them which could be why he is suddenly wide awake when you move him ,at night maybe he's tired enough to drift off again, plus the change in temperature will also disturb him after he's been all cosy on your knee. I know as a first time mum you don't want to put them down and I was the same myself but honestly with mine who had their cuddles whilst awake and then were put down to sleep once they were drowsy but still awake they slept much better and were also better at going back to sleep alone if they did wake xx
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:15 pm 
Post subject:
Nat - do you know if there is a system to follow to introduce this? Only because my LO falls asleep during his feed and then I put him down, and has always done this... but I always wondered how to do the 'put them down drowsy' thing if this is the case? I don't want to wake him to then let him go back to sleep again asap! Very Happy But it does mean for me that by day he does the same - feeds and falls asleep during that feed on me. It's ok because at the moment I can just put him down and he can sleep on, but I would rather not have to feed him to sleep each time so that when I need him to nap without me (if I am going out or whatever) Daddy can put him down to sleep without feeding (as he won't take a bottle or tuppy cup). I can rock him to sleep so I know that he can go to sleep without a feed, but again, would be better to follow what you said and be able to get him to self-soothe. Does the system of doing this have a name?
xxx

OneNormalFamily
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 am 
Post subject: Basic Principles of Baby Sleep
Hi there

I have just written a book on baby sleep and have been helping lots of parents since.

In my book I cover some basic principles to help your baby sleep. They are treat day as day and night as night, observe your baby, help your baby to self-settle, follow a routine, persevere, be consistent, be patient and be proud.

I recently wrote an article for a blog which outlines four of these principles: treat day as day and night as night, observe your baby, help your baby to self-settle, follow a routine.

Read the article here:

http://fromtheretohear.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/help-your-baby-sleep-right-now-sensible.html

Jess from 'From There to Hear' tried out my methods and her son was settling himself to sleep at 7pm within a few days.

Read about her experiences here:

http://fromtheretohear.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/isnt-my-boy-just-so-beautiful-when-he.html

If you want to know more just ask. I am always happy to help sleep deprived parents and babies.

Take care

Michelle
Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:49 pm 
Post subject:
I have exactly the same problem with my 22 week old boy. He goes into his cot awake at night and can self settle straight away, but I cannot get him to nap during the day unless he falls asleep on me. Today he has not napped at all as I have tried all day leaving him in his cot at set times (mainly when he looks tired), and he has laid awake, if anything become more hyper-active! He looks like he just wants to play. Now I have a very tired grumpy baby! I really need a daytime routine as he starts with a childminder in January. I have read a sleep baby book which I have been trying since he was 4 weeks old but it hasn't worked. Michele I am really interested in some tips and your book! And anyone else that can help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular