speech therapy

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 pm 
Post subject: speech therapy
HV been today to do a speech review and theyve referred alfie to speech therapy. she said because hes babling and does have a vocabulary even tho its not huge then theyve ruled out dyspraxia and she thinks its more developmental and laziness. also, he is showing a good understanding but they have to test him hearing to rule out glue ear and bronchial deafness. they said that referreal could take up to 12 weeks to come through so they wanted tp refer him now.

im glad hes been referred as obv i just want the best thing for him x x

[/url]
Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 pm 
Post subject:
My LO was referred back in April and had an appointment in August hun, she was signed off after the very first consultation.

She always had fantastic understanding and communication skills, she just didnt have a very high word count. They gave me a pack of exercises and tips to help bring her speech on a bit and sent one out to her nursery and I have to say her speech does seem to be coming on great! Shes now a lot more understandable with the words she does say and she is also putting 2 and 3 word sentences together. Speech woman assessed her as being only 4-6 months behind which apparently isnt that bad as she had seen some kids aged 5 with the speech vocab of a 6-12 month old.

It really put my mind at rest and like you said, your doing the best for him by getting the referral.

xx
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
That's good that he's being referred early because its easy to wait (like me!).

Can I ask what Alfie is saying? How many words? Does he link them together? Know numbers/colours?

I'm always stressing about whether I should self refer Oliver or not so hope you don't mind me asking you.

Thank you xx Smile

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
He says about 30 words atm pepper. basic stuff like mam, dad, ball, dog, juice, car etc hes started peicing a few words together sucha s "wheres it gone?" or "oh no its stuck" or "theres grandads car" but alot of the time its babble. He loves copying expressions and sounds but just not interested in worlds reasllt.He doesnt know colours at all, he cant point out animals on a ffarm. he knows a cow goes moo and a pig going oink and thats it. he can sometimes count to 5 if he can be bothered.

If your worriesd you can self refer, its better to be safe than sorry x

[/url]
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for getting back to me hope you didn't mind me asking. That's the problem really it's sort of what's laziness and what's delayed speech. I know Oliver would still rather grunt than talk so I don't know.

Have looked into a private speech therapist to get an assessment as 'normal' is so variable.

Hope all goes well with your sessions xx

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
just thought id update. alfie had his first speech therapy session on wednesday and shes not at all worried about him and said shed review him in 6 months time. apparantly hes the typical case they get referred. 2.5 yr old little boys with only a handful of words but its laziness not ability so hell catch up evernutall x

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular