Ectopic? Little bit worried...

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:44 pm 
Post subject: Ectopic? Little bit worried...
Hey ladies!
Well - I am 8 weeks pregnant, but feeling a little worried.

I got my positive faint 5 days early, then dark on my due day, then darker still 6 days later. Unlike with my first pregnancy, I didn't especially 'feel' pregnant, and had no symptoms at all except a little dizzy (only lasted a couple of days) and tired. As the weeks have gone on, I've had one or two days of nausea, but that is it - with my son, I was sick every day for the first 26 weeks!!!

Here's the puzzle. Last week, at 7 weeks, I decided (stupidly) to use up my last POAS test and did so, and the line was actually fainter than the one was at 6 days after AF was due... when I'd have been around 5 weeks. Reading online that didn't worry me too bad because there are quite a few tales of women scaring themselves because a test has gotten lighter at 7 weeks+ but apparently it can happen because the test can't deal with the high level of hormone, plus the variables like concentration of urine, how much you drank, when you did the test and different tests, even the same brand and same pack can have different amounts of dye in them... so I tried to ignore it.

A few days ago I noticed that when I moved quickly or sneezed or coughed etc my uterus felt tight, like a pain like I pulled something but that didn't worry me because I had that same feeling with my son too - actually earlier with him, so I thought it is normal. Only now the last couple of days I also have a niggly sharp pain in one side. It's not always there and it's not 'severe' but it was enough that I spoke to a doctor about it this morning. She's asked me to have a blood test on monday morning to check for an ectopic pregnancy.

Now THAT has worried me. Because a) surely a scan would be more appropriate and b) I thought 8 weeks would be quite late to find an ectopic pregnancy?! Do I need to panic here? I've had NO spotting or bleeding of any sort at all this pregnancy, and I checked the other symptoms of ectopic - but haven't got any of them - my test showed up on time (early actually!), not late, my shoulders don't hurt, I'm not dizzy, I'm not sick, I don't have D&V, no temperature, no spotting or bleeding, not severe side pain, not spreading side pain...

Just after views really - anyone had an ectopic and when was it discovered, what symptoms did you have? Did you have bleeding (as I thought this was the MAIN symptom!) and how quickly did you need to get to hospital.
My main concern is being taken in as an emergency as I have such a young son and he's still breastfeeding - it would be impossible! Sad I'm so worried about it and jumping at every little twinge now, even though it's not that painful, I'm just panicking about it and worried about the fact that I have to wait til monday for a blood test (and probably until tuesday or wednesday for a result), I'm having my booking in appointment on wednesday anyway so will be able to talk to a midwife then but seems so long away, and no scan has been booked yet which I thought when I spoke to the doctor today she would do straight away given it's the only real way to tell if a pregnancy is in the right place... Sad

What do you all think?
xxx

lysianassa
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:11 pm 
Post subject:
May, where exactly is the pain and what is it like? Bleeding is a common thing in ectopics but there are times when you don't get it. I didn't get any ectopic symptoms until my bleed (which initially Kai didn't want to take me to the hospital for - good thing I made him) which was at around 7.5 weeks, not entirely sure.

Because its now a weekend EPUs will be closed (another thing about hospitals that bug me) and they are usually the only ones that have the scanning equipment to determine where baby is. Thing is is that blood tests (hcg beta and progesterone levels) can only indicate, it can't confirm either way. Only scans can do that. Bloodworks for ectopics are usually repeated every 48 hours but I have waited for days for my results. On Monday I would have the bloodtest and then go down to the EPU and see whether they can give you an early scan. When you do go, make sure you do get seen.

Try not to panic too much, it is a scary thought but most likely baby is in the right place and its just stretching/ligament pains. I had it too with this pregnancy, I was petrified that it was another ectopic pregnancy but she's grown in the right place. Any questions or you want to talk just give me a ring or text xx

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you hunny.
I did ask the doctor about an early scan but she said 'oh - at this stage you won't see anything on a scan' to which I said 'rubbish - at 6+4 with my son I saw a heartbeat and at 8+5 too' so don't know what she was trying to pull there. Then she said 'we'll do a blood test' and I asked her whether she meant the one you repeat in 48 hours and she said 'yes and it doubles' but again, from Samuel I know that isn't the case after 7-8 weeks because the levels level off - my 48 hour test with Samuel increased by just 10% and they told me I had miscarried, only for a scan 4 days later to show the opposite! So she then said 'ok, no, not two tests, just one to see how high your levels are and to confirm you are pregnant' - to be honest I think she doesn't really know what she is on about! Sad

I shall go for the bloodtest but I don't think that our hospital have an EPU - they just have an obs&gynae dept. (where I had my scans) and a maternity dept. And I'm seeing the midwife on wednesday anyway - I am wondering whether to wait it out til then (I'll do the blood test anyway though) and ask her for an early scan instead, hoping she'll take me more seriously. I would call her on monday but she only works wednesday and thursdays so I won't be able to speak to her before my appointment anyway.

The pain is on and off - like maybe three or four episodes of a few minutes each day for the last three days, and is off to the right side of my stomach, kind of midway between my navel and my hip...

I'm trying hard not to worry, and hope it is just stretching! I'm such a worry-pot! Sad

Thanks for your reply hun xxx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, i've never had an ectopic but when i first found out i was pregnant i was getting a lot of sharp pains in what felt like my ovaries/fallopian tubes, especially when coughing or sneezing. I worried myself sick for days in case it was ectopic. In the end i made an appointment with my doc. She had a feel at my stomach and asked if the pain was only coming and going which it was. She assured me that if it was an ectopic pregnancy, i would feel worse pain which wouldn't likely go away and would get more and more severe.
I would try not to worry too much for now. It sounds such like ligaments stretching. When do you get the results of the blood test? X

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you Jenna *hugs*
I have the test on monday but the urgency is marked :normal so I think that means usually 3-5 days by which time I shall see my midwife already anyway.

Both you and Lian have said because the pain is not constant (by a long way) and not increasing, then it probably is nothing so I am going to relax about it and just watch how I go...

Thank you so much for the replies and reassurance ladies, it has really put my mind at rest xxx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
No problem at all Smile glad i could put your mind at ease, i can remember all too well how worried i was when it was me and it really just puts your mind into overdrive doesn't in!
In fact, funnily enough, it was actually the same problem that brought me to AB in the first place lol

Hope the blood tests come back ok, but i'm sure they will! Xxx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:06 am 
Post subject:
I had the pains you are describing but I was not sure of my dates so i booked in for a private scan and found out i was 11 weeks pregnant and a normal pregnancy. I had these pains from I would say 7 weeks and they continued just into my second trimester. It was also my second pregnancy.

Any pain you describe I think should be checked out as I started to fear eptopic. If anything try and get scanned to ease your mind but I'm sure all is well.
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:21 am 
Post subject:
Hi hun..I'm sorry your going through this Sad it's never easy when your minds in limbo.
With my ectopic I started with an excruciating pain iny right groin area that came on about 10pm. I went to the loo and wiped there was red blood Crying or Very sad went to bed but the pain was excruciating. Rung nes direct and they said to take some painkillers and see how it goes. So I did and managed to get some sleep. Woke about 1am and the pain had nearly all but gone Confused And the bleeding calmed. Went to see Dr next morning who had a feel of my tummy it was tender to touch bit not to bad. The epu wouldn't see me cos I was only just 5wks gone. They told me to test again when I got to 7wks and if pos they'd scan me Confused
So went home..still tender and bleeding. The one thing that was I big indicator looking back now was the bleeding...it continued but not like normal blood..it was like brownish 'prune juice'colour.
So the week went on still bleeding but the pain wasn't as bad...more bearable af crampy type pain.
Got to Friday night and the excruciating pain came back. Paracetamol didn't work. Went to a&e and during the wait the pain calmed again. There a&e Dr saw me and said 'it isn't an ectopic cos you wouldn't be able to have a convoy with me now'Rolling Eyes I wasn't happy with this and wanted referring for further testing/scans. They sent me to gynecology 6am Saturday morning..did internal exams, still no major pain just tender, scanned me and saw no pregnancy in my womb but a 'mass' in my right tube consistent with an ectopic..they admitted me straight away and I was heading for surgery at 1pm (12hrs after that Dr told me I WASN'T having an ectopic pg Sad

Basically..if you suspect..fight. put your foot down!! They weren't even willing to see/scan me before 7wks..I could have been dead by then..sorry to be so blunt but it annoys me how drs can be so blazay about ectopic and dismiss it before even investigated.
I really hope it's nothing..it could just be normal pregnancy stretching and pulling...but you know your body and if something's not right go get some advice/help.
Xxx
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:48 pm 
Post subject:
Hay hun...how are you? Hope your ok xx
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:20 pm 
Post subject:
Are you okay today?

Do you know what Zee I hear time and time again women who were not treated correctly during ectopics or given the brush off it makes me so cross. Despite my history with tubal surgery and my increased risk my doctor dismissed my concerns of ectopic from the start even though looking back now I had classic signs - faint pregnancy tests and low rising hcg, constant spotting between blood and dark brown, pains in my right side. When they scanned me they couldnt see anything so were going to send me home. I eventually got admitted into hospital where after monitoring me for 24 hours and seeing my hcg levels had dropped a little they let me go home saying I was having a natural miscarriage. It wasnt until that following day I was in the worse pain ever and felt so sick and dizzy that I went to a&e where they admitted me straight away. I collapsed in the corridor luckily o/h caught me , turns out my blood pressure was dropping because it had already ruptured. I was very lucky , they found 1.5 litres of blood in my stomach and said I was very lucky not to have needed a transfusion.

They really need to learn to be more proactive when it comes to ectopics. Mad
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
Sad That sounds so scary Nutty Sad *hugs* And Zee too for going through it Sad

I don't feel any better or worse today so I don't know what it is. I had a blood test - results go to my GP tomorrow so when she gets to see it I will call for the result myself and ask but all it will give me is my level for today - I guess if it is very low in the range for 8-9weeks I will know something is wrong but otherwise I won't know whether it is just ok because it is within range or whether it shows good or bad news. I am seeing my midwife on Wednesday and will tell her everything and all my concerns and see what she says - hopefully she'll be a bit more proactive and want me in for a scan. I hope.

Thank you for sharing your stories ladies xxx

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:55 pm 
Post subject:
Well - the level came back today - 145000, which is pretty high according to the doctor, it is higher than I was at the same stage with my son, I reckon I am just under 8 weeks because of when I OVd so 145000 at 7w4d, and with my son I was 137000 at 8w2d so already higher than with him. So the doctor said everything looked fine to him and to wait and see at the scan now. I'm feeling a bit happier that the level is high and not low in the range or anything.

Will just have to wait and see now! Smile
xxx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:49 am 
Post subject:
Excellent news - hope the levels continue to rise.

FX crossed for you

xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 am 
Post subject:
That's such good news mingo Smile

Wonder if it's a girl?! Don't they say they produce more hcg lol Wink

When do you have tour scan then? X