Not sure how to fix this...

Woodles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:14 pm 
Post subject: Not sure how to fix this...
A few months ago i rearranged our 2 year olds bedroom, he started pulling the wallpaper off through the cot bars so have put the cot in the middle of the room. He slept fine that night thankfully and seemed unbothered by the switch. Then he started teething & after alot of sleepless night the other half simply laid by his cot & held his hand through the bars, i'd wake up on a morning and find them both that way! This happened a few times over the next 2 weeks. I didn't think much of it till LO had finished teething, now he simply will not go to sleep on his own. He has mostly been good at just dropping off to sleep after been laid down & covered with his fav blanket.
He will started screaming his lungs out the moment i get downstairs & then when i don't go to him he will switch to babbling (he can't talk yet), then back to screaming.
I'm not sure how to deal with this, i know it's just because he doesn't want to be alone, i'm not sure how to go about breaking this habit.
I was thinking of going in every 10 minutes or so, lay him down then walk out & repeat. But with him going from crying to talking i'm not sure if it'll work.
He understands that it is bedtime, he throws himself down when i say lie down & starts screaming immediately before i even leave the room. He will only stop if i lay by his cot & pretend to be asleep or his dad goes in and cuddles with him in his chair.
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:47 pm 
Post subject: Re: Not sure how to fix this...
Woodles wrote:

I was thinking of going in every 10 minutes or so, lay him down then walk out & repeat. But with him going from crying to talking i'm not sure if it'll work.
He understands that it is bedtime, he throws himself down when i say lie down & starts screaming immediately before i even leave the room. He will only stop if i lay by his cot & pretend to be asleep or his dad goes in and cuddles with him in his chair.

If you know he understand that it is bedtime, I would say - contraveresly - he is trying to push the boundaries with you. I would do what you are considering on doing. It may take a long time (several hours for a number of nights) but should break the habit. It is hard but may be worth it in the long run.

Good luck

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular