Completely fed up! 1 yr old sleep problems. HELP

abishep
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 am 
Post subject: Completely fed up! 1 yr old sleep problems. HELP
Hi All
Sorry if this ends up long winded. Sorry in advance for spelling mistakes I'm just always tired. My DS has never been a brilliant sleeper. He suffered with wind and reflux from day one so was always rocked to sleep. I always knew this wasn't good but if it was the only way we could get some sleep then this is what we did.
He hated his Moses basket and slept on an adult bean bag till he was too large for it. ( I know this is wrong). He then hated his cot and would only sleep for a couple of hours at a time. We got him into a routine of baby massage, a bottle, into sleep sack and then singing the same songs every night after Cbeebies finished and then I would rock him and put him down and then he would wake every 2 hours but not for milk. This was when we brought him into our bed! Huge mistake!!! This was in June, so for almost 5 months he's been sleeping with us and just recent my OH has started sleeping in the spare room some nights. This is making me depressed. Thankfully we have a strong relationship and know its not forever. So tonight I tried CC it was a disaster I've tried previously but my DS just ends up in a state and so do I. He starts almost being sick and coughing. I just don't know what to do! I want him to self soothe and sleep in his cot but I haven't got a clue how to go about it!! I hate CC but is there really any other way?? It's getting to the point where he is too big to rock in my arms and he sometimes fights with me and struggles I'm often so tired from this that I'm in bed at 830 most nights. Even though he's in our bed he still wakes around 12-1:30am and then again 4:30-5am.
Any ideas?
Thanks for reading
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 pm 
Post subject:
How about gradual retreat?

You start off putting him down in his bed close to him, could be on the bed with him, staying with until he is asleep, but not rocking/holding and minimal talking/contact. Do for a couple days, then next couple of days, settle from side of bed, next couple, sit in chair a little away from him. When he settle comfortably with that, move further away. Keep moving further away until eventually you are right by the door and eventually you should be able to just leave the room when he goes down.

Have done cc, it does work but takes at least a couple of weeks and is heartbreking for all involved. Have done the gradual retreat method too when sleep issues re-emerged. It took longer but felt much kinder and worked just as well.

Good luck with it all and hugs,

Mandy x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular