Age old question

Woodles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:57 pm 
Post subject: Age old question
Lately i've noticed alot of people i know & their toddlers that are slightly younger/older than my own are really good at talking, my LO has been a bit behind the 'average' on most things, he didn't start sitting up, crawling, standing up till well after the 'average' and his speech development seems to be following the same pattern. He can say Muma, dada and yeah. That's about it. We talk to him constantly, what's this, what's that, he points at things so we'll say what they are too, mostly facial features, nose, mouth and so on.
He understands what you're asking him for common stuff like, where are your shoes, find your shoes/blanket/juice. I think he's just lazy haha he still try to communicate with grunts and groans and ignoring his grunts would be no good as i've no idea what he's trying to say and i don't think he does either! The most word like sounds we get are when he gets excited and chatters away da, ga and ba off the top of his lungs haha!
We've got our 2 year check up with the HV next month so will go over it then but their methods and explanations perplex me at times (asked about his feet/ankles rolling inward and got told to wait till he was out of nappies?!)
Anyway, i feel i'm doing all i can for him now, he has a hard time concentrating if you try read to him he just turns the pages and traps your fingers even if you point out things and such.
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:06 am 
Post subject:
Don't worry, he'll get there. He sounds just like my two about 6 months ago. Their speech has come on so much the last few months and while its still not 'normal' for their age, its so much better than i thought it would be. Just carry on talking to him as much as you can and it wont be long til you'll want him to be quiet lol xx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:51 am 
Post subject:
He sounds exactly like my LO as well hun and if you carry on as you are doing I'm sure his speech will come on in the next 6 months or so.

About 6 months ago or so my LO had a word count of about 7-10 words and would not even try to put sentences together. I got a referral for speech therapy and even before the appointment came round her speech had come on loads. Her understanding and communication was excellent it was just the talking part that was the problem (for example if I said point to your tummy she would know exactly what it meant but if I said say tummy she just couldn't do it). Anyways, speech lady signed us off after first consultation, said she didnt think she needed the therapy to help, that it would come on and it really has. Now shes saying all sorts, having little conversations with us and will repeat just about any word you ask her to. She was assessed as being 4-6 months behind with speech with apparently isn't much at all and by the time she starts school will have caught up and I have to say you can really notice.

Try not to worry, I'm sure he'll be fine but if do start stressing over it just ask your GP about a referral (not sure about self referral, I know they dont allow it in my area but yours might be different).

xx
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:53 am 
Post subject:
Just saw your comment about your 2 year review, the HV will ask about his speech (mine did) and offer a referral I think, I already had an appointment so she was happy that I'd already gotten the ball rolling.

I will also add that theres usually about a 4 month waiting list hun so it might be worth you asking to be referred anyway and if you dont think he needs it nearer the time you can always cancel.

xx
Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thankyou for your replies ladies. You've given me some closure for it, really you have. I guess i get worried/jealous of all these other LO's talking away and my LO just looks at me and grunts mostly haha! I suppose the fact he's said words before and doesn't now is expected, who'd want to grow up when you can get everything given to you for no work? haha x x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular