SHINGLES

flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:39 am 
Post subject: SHINGLES
Hi just wondering if anybody knows the answer - have found conflicting advice, a girl at work has shingles and isnt taking time off, I am currently on half term leave but not sure if I should go in while she has this. I am 7 weeks pregnant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks Flossie.
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:19 pm 
Post subject:
she shouldnt be in work as far as i am aware - shingles can be contagious
i had mumps years ago - no symptons or anything normal just a very sore neck - i got signed off instantly especially as i worked with someone who was pregnant
you really should find out if its right for here to be in work !! the talk to your boss if you have concerns -
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:16 pm 
Post subject:
Ring and ask your doctors and dont go back in until you know its safe to xx
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
yeah gingin is right my mum is a nursery headteacher and says that shingles is very contagious. they send kids home who have it.i googled it for you and it can harm the baby so i would speak to your boss asap. i don't understand these people who go to work with contagious illnesses! Rolling Eyes
xxxxx
Charlplusbabies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
goodness, shes lucky to be in work wih that i thought that people were very ill with shingles???
she will have been contagious from the time her rash broke out until the scabs crust over - same as chicken pox. if you have had chicken pox then you should be immune t the shingles virus and should be fine although, if not chicken pox ad shingles can be dangerous to both pregnant women and the baby so you really should either ring your doctor or your midwife for advice
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanx guys - have had two m/c in last months and really dont want to take any chances with this little one, have not told colleagues at work yet but will have to if she insists on working whilst she has shingles, looks like an extended holiday for me!! Flossie xx Laughing
gingin
Posted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:07 am 
Post subject:
Flossie please dont take any chances at all - your employer should be aware of the situation too as this could land them in heaps of problems if it were to get out of hand -
you know i feel much like "cjarchibald" I just dont get these people who insist on working when sick - its just irresponsible etc etc - when i was an employer i actually sent the girls home if they dared to step through the door with a cold etc - it was better to lose them for 1/2 days than being signed off for a week and it meant that the rest of us didnt get it too !!!
the only problem with these viruses is that they are at there most contagious when most people dont even know they have anything wrong -
either your colleague saw a pretty hopeless doctor or has ignored advice
keep well gX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular