Worried about how baby is breastfeeding

JenMatthews
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:20 pm 
Post subject: Worried about how baby is breastfeeding
My newborn, born 3rd November, fed practically constantly at first, the hospital said it's probably because she's quite big (4070grams) and I had her latching on perfectly, it was amazing. Last night was our first night home and she woke upat lleast once an hour for a feed. Obviously I fed her every time, until she wanted to finish.
Today though she fed a lot this morning then about two hours passed until she was rooting and crying to be fed again. However, she just wouldn't latch on. Then when she eeventually did, she wasn't sucking. Then she spat out the nipple and fell asleep. This has happened about 3 times now, and it's been about 3 hours since she last fed. I'm slightly worried now so was wondering if anyone else's baby has done anything like this?

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:13 am 
Post subject:
my son was and still is an on off feeder and has no real set times for feeding as long as you are offering the breast when you think your baby is hungry youre doing all you can do. sometimes (if your baby is like my son) he wants justs a few sucks for comfort so we gave him a dummy. if you offer the breast and they dont latch on or they do but dont feed they obviously arent hungry so just button up and offer again later.

JenMatthews
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:09 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks, I went to a support group and am having to express and bottle feed her the breast milk because she's hungry but just won't latch on. They said hopefully she'll just take to the breast again in time :/ x

simmysim
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm 
Post subject:
have u spoke to the MW/HV about this? if u want to Breastfeed her, u should be being offered more support! it could be something as simple as positioning!
once i started mine on bottles they neevr went back, and tbh im really gutted about it, and once i started expressing my milk dried up pretty quickly, the stimulation just isnt the same.
really hope u get it sorted hun xxx
JenMatthews
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:24 pm 
Post subject:
Yeah, I've spoken to the midwife numerous times, hthe pisitioningsseems to be fine but she's just not doing it. I'm really upset about it because I feel a bit like I've failed. But I guess I've just got to keep trying and see if she'll go back on Sad xx

jenneve
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:50 pm 
Post subject:
my daughter was born jaundice and was fed through a tube after day 3 as she wouldnt suck. so i expressed for 16 weeks and bottle fed before my milk gave up and i went to formula. i felt like a failure too Sad but now i realise that i just didnt get enough encouragement to keep putting her to the breast i just took the advice to express my milk as my only option. keep putting baby to the breast to feed and if its a no go then warm some previously expressed milk, dont give up if its what you want to do xxx

Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:34 pm 
Post subject:
I hope this helps - my baby couldnt latch on when she was first born, she was small, a little jaundice, had a weak suck and I had quite flat nipples!

It has taken 5 weeks of initially expressing, then using a nipple shield and finally now she is breast feeding! It was hard but I am delighted that I persisted.

If your baby was able to latch on initially, that should bode well for you - just keep offering it.

You should not feel guilty - you are doing the best you can for your baby! I know its hard but dont give up yet, it may be a small blip.

Suggestions - sorry if any of this is obvious/basic stuff.
Don't use spray deodorants or smelly lotions etc,
Try different positions - what really helped me was to se a cushion under baby, hold baby's head in the crook of the arm on the side she was feeding and use my other hand to hold my boob so she can get more in her mouth.
A nipple sheild is a half way house between bf and bottles - make sure it fits and you get a good suction - otherwise baby may get wind - I used something called a 'latch assist' to suck the nipple in before she fed!
Try to offer the breast before each feed so the association is still there.
Make sure you have the best pump you can afford - i bought the maedela swing and had no problem with milk flow.

Feel free to message me! Good Luck! x x
JenMatthews
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hey, I did read your replies when they were posted but been so tired I completely forgot to reply! But you really encouraged me to carry on trying.
I ended up expressing and giving her the breast milk in bottles for over a week, while trying to put her on the breast each feed. After it had been over a week, she finally decided to latch on! I'm unbelievably happy, she's now only using the breast, no more sterilizing bottles!! Very Happy

Thank you for all the encouragement and advice!!! Smile xxx

JenMatthews
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hey, I did read your replies when they were posted but been so tired I completely forgot to reply! But you really encouraged me to carry on trying.
I ended up expressing and giving her the breast milk in bottles for over a week, while trying to put her on the breast each feed. After it had been over a week, she finally decided to latch on! I'm unbelievably happy, she's now only using the breast, no more sterilizing bottles!! Very Happy

Thank you for all the encouragement and advice!!! Smile xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:21 am 
Post subject:
Thats brilliant news Very Happy so glad she's feeding well for you now xx
Raspich
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:14 pm 
Post subject:
I am so glad it worked out for you - I know how discouraging it can feel when its not happening! Well done for perservering.
gruffalo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 pm 
Post subject:
Just a quick thought, but have they looked at tongue tie? That could be stopping her latching?

Mandy x
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 am 
Post subject:
Thanks guys Very Happy xx

Yeah, that was one of the first things they looked for, but there was no ttongue tie. We have no idea what made her stop feeding, just so happy that she's started again Smile xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular