How do we know our child is toilet trained?

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:54 pm 
Post subject: How do we know our child is toilet trained?
Hi. Stupid question, but when are they done? Is it when they (and they only) come to you and ask to pee etc...?
How do I know when DS is trained and I can stop asking him if he wants to go to the toilet?
Thanks,
xxx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
I'm not sure you ever stop asking that question really! But I considered it when Izzy had very few accidents, that she asked to go when she needed to and was generally dry during the day. I still ask her now if she needs the toilet - sometimes she gets so caught up in things she forgets!!
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Smile Feeling abit down... After a poo in his underwear and a wee on the couch - I now have mattress protectors on the couch...
Yesterday he only had one accident after coming home from creche and I was so chuffed.
Now I'm just doubting myself and whether its the right thing to train him now..

xxx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:05 pm 
Post subject:
I would keep asking, like abbie says they often forget or get carried away with what they are doing.
Even now when evie does an odd little dance of sorts I ask her... often I am right but she just doesn't want to stop playing

xx

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:46 pm 
Post subject:
Todays worse. Does that happen? I'm feeling dreadful, don't want to toilet train him if the poor guy isn't ready...

Should I stop?

I know he knows what a pee is, proves it himself by asking to pee and then he immediately does a pee on the toilet.

But today, I ask him does he want to go, yes, we go to toilet, he pees (very little) and then 5 sec's later he pees his pants. Again and again.
I'm not normally such a defeatist, but I am finding this hard.

Thanks xxx

SuperKay10
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:26 pm 
Post subject:
Having the same thoughts with my little boy, he was 2 in November and everyone is telling me I should be starting him on the potty.. He doesn't yet tell me or make any indication that he needs to go to the toilet so I don't think he's ready? He's going to be starting pre-school in September and I'd love to have him dry by then (here's hoping!), he will be nearly 3 but there is so much pressure as soon as he turned two everyone was so shocked I wasn't rushing him to the potty!?
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:07 pm 
Post subject:
"They" say boys develope late as far as potty training is concerned and people generally only start around the 3rd birthday. With girls as early as 2 (sometimes/often before).

If your little boy only just turned 2 (about 2-3 months ago) I would say he is not ready - especially since you say he is showing no signs himself.

Do they have to be potty trained when they start pre-school? I'm very surprised with people's reactions that they are already saying he should be trained.

Each child is also different.

I only decided to start now (about 4 months before he turns 3) because he is showing signs and the ladies at creche have also said he is ready.
Then again, some kids are trained in 3 days and some take a month... I have the feeling Carlo will be more towards the month side of things..

He has no problem asking to go to the toilet and does a pee immediately - but I know this is because he wants a sweet... He often tells me he has peed - immediately after the fact (but too late for the toilet, although I do put him on immediately and he continues to pee) and last night he came upstairs to find me in the shower to tell me he needed to go and pee on the toilet. Smile

I just wish he would make a BIG pee. He seems to just make lots of little ones. I need to get him to realise to empty out his bladder.... Smile

I can tell you that I have found it VERY stressful and was surprised by that. I knew it was alot of work, but asking your child every 20min (when you start) if he wants to pee on the toilet and trying to get him excited etc.. is EXHAUSTING...

YOU are the best person to know if he is ready and I would just ignore everyone else. I'm actually feeling abit 'stressed' that I have started early ( as everyone I know does boys at age 3 or even after..) and that everyone is waiting to see it fail...I hope not! I believe he is ready else I would not have started.

Big hug and good luck. xxx

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
I haven't started my lo yet. I couldn't care less what anyone says. I want Eoin to be ready and hopefully it won't take as long. Also, I think because of the way others say they should be trained, you do it and your lo isn't really trained and lots of accidents happen. My friends son is 12 days older than my other son and she used to tell me how he was toilet trained at 2. He is 7 now and still has accidents. My son has had about 3 accidents since he was trained.
I did try with my older son a few times and he would poo and not even care so I stopped. When he got to 3 years and 4 months I said, enough is enough and it took a week.
I am going to try Eoin at Easter time, he will be about the same age as your lo.
Good luck with it.

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:23 am 
Post subject:
I have hated EVERY second of toilet training, never felt like such a failure in all my life!

I think I built it up too much, opsted a few times on here upset and worrying that we'd never crack it. I basically dreaded it from when she was a newborn as I had absolutely no idea where to start and as it turned out it was harder than I'd ever dreamed....its actually made me question if I want any more children so I don't have to go through it again Crying or Very sad

My LO was 3 last November so I started in earnest in the August to get her started and it took me weeks and weeks! It felt like it was never going to register but she is now completely dry (TOUCH WOOD!!) with only a couple of accidents, mainly when she's been playing or excited and hasn't managed to quite get to the loo on time.

My big issue now is the pooing! She will not got to the toilet to poo, insists on a pull-up or nappy and I have tried EVERYTHING (even resorted to a laxative in the hopes she wouldn't be able to hold it in the way she normally does and would have to go on the toilet) but nothing will persuade her to go on the loo when she needs to go properly. This is the new thing for me to overcome as obviously I would be able to say she was completely toilet trained if it werent for this.

My only advice is to take a step back and try to calm down over it. I was getting myself into a right state and it was only when I relaxed about that she seemed to relax and it did then come naturally.

The next step is getting her dry at night................O - M - G, where to even start with that Shocked Shocked Shocked !!

xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular