Hello again & Natural IVF!

Lissy42
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 pm 
Post subject: Hello again & Natural IVF!
Hi ladies,

It's been a while, so I hope all is going well for everyone. Smile

I had my private IVF consultation today & it wasn't the news we were hoping for. All of our tests were fine apart from my antral follicle count, which was 1. The consultant said that IVF wasn't the best option for us, but Natural IVF would be the best course.

I feel confused, feel like I didn't ask enough questions & don't quite know what to do next. I think we will go for the Natural but wondered if anyone could shed any light on it a bit for me, in terms that I understand.

Why wouldn't IVF work for us? I asked but everything has gone out of my head. I'm sure it will come back but any help would be appreciated.

I'm 43 now & the odds of it happening for us aren't great, I'm going to be 44 in March so my chances are slipping all the time. I want to try & stay positive but it's hard.

Lots of babydust to you all.xxx

nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Lissy sorry youre results werent to good, the only reason I can think of that normal ivf wont be good for you is because of your antral follicle count of 1 would mean you would respond very poorly if at all to your ovaries being stimulated and you probably wouldnt produce any more than a couple of eggs if that. x
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:31 pm 
Post subject: Hello again & Natural IVF!
Thanks nutty. I think I got myself in a bit of a panic, as I spoke to my DOH & he reminded me what had been said & explained it all in full. Good job someone was listening properly! Smile

You're right, she said that because I'm only producing 1 follicle it would be a waste of money & time to go for IVF with drugs, as I would still only end up up with one egg & the whole point is to stimulate & produce much more than that.

We've decided to give the natural IVF a go & we start in January as my next cycle clashes with them closing for Christmas. Sad The chance of it working is not great, also with me being 44 in March it decreases so only between 2-5%.

However, it's still a chance, so we'll give it a go. xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 am 
Post subject:
Lissy I've heard good things about mini/mild IVF for older women Smile Question
In the US they tend to do a few cycles on minimal drugs (mini IVF )aiming to get one or two eggs each time and then they freeze them and do frozen transfers on completely drug free cycles and get pretty good results Question
If I remember rightly with the natural they don't use drugs at all so you just get the one egg you would have had that cycle anyway Question , but it only takes one good egg to make a baby Smile
But there is also what they called mild IVF over here too with minimal stimulation designed to just get a couple of eggs , which even with a low antral follicle count can help Smile , on the scans they only get a view of a slice of the ovary don't forget and can often miss follicles on other surfaces so although they only saw one there may have been one or even two they couldn't see that with mild IVF would also grow Question Then you could end up with 2 or 3 eggs to collect Question I do think its probably worth talking to more than one clinic before deciding the exact route to take as opinions on the best treatment differ slightly Question Don't forget those stats are just that your "statistical" chances generated by sticking everyones chances together so try not to let the numbers get you down Smile Best of luck with it xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular