Baths on their own??

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:04 pm 
Post subject: Baths on their own??
Just wondering at what age would you allow your Los to start having unsupervised baths? Just bathed mine and we have such fun and it got me thinking about how I'll miss bath times when she's older and that then made wonder at what age would she be OK to sit in the bath while I was in another room?

There's no way I'd leave her at the mo, I paranoid she'd try to stand up and slip and bang her head. For those of you with older kids, what age did you leave them to it?

xx
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
iv been leaving sam since she was about 2. i wash her off then leave her to play, then she shouts me when she is ready. at first i stayed upstairs, but now i go downstairs. i can hear her talking and splashing about, and if she goes quiet i shout up to her.

she knows she is not to get out of the bath and to wait until i get her out. sam has only slipped over once and i was with her at the time. the only other incident was when she tried to wash her own hair, so now the shampoo is out of reach!

Tessytoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:13 pm 
Post subject:
Gosh I didnt leave bradley in the bath unsupervised until he was 5 Shocked Just because I was always very worried about him slipping etc... Even though he is 5 I only ever go into another room, I dont go downstairs or upstairs (our house is 3 story) and I never would have left him at 2 years old! Especially gone downstairs and left him up there, I think thats too risky, or maybe Im too protective? Confused You were brave doing that steph181! Id be too worried lol! Laughing
Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm 
Post subject:
Oh, I don't know Question I'm trying to remember how old I was when I was left Confused

My son is nearing four now and I do leave him for seconds at a time, when I flit between the bathroom and bedroom getting pj's ready, turning his bed down and sorting laundry and such, but I keep him talking the whole time. Its going to be a fair while before I start going downstairs though, I don't reckon he's completely water savvy just yet.
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Wow Steph, your LO is same age as mime and I just couldn't leave her at the mo......she's always trying to stand up or mess about when I'm in there with her so I worry that if I were to leave her alone she'd mess about and slip and really hurt herself.

I was thinking that once she gets to 5 or 6 she'd be OK for me to let her bath while I was to be downstairs, am I being too over protective?? I do pop in and out of the bedrooms if I've forgotten something or need somethingut its literally for seconds at a time, I defo couldn't go downstairs.

xx
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 am 
Post subject:
The only time my 2 get left in the bath is when I forgot to get pjs out and thats for minute tops and even then I spend the whole time shouting through about not moving. Most of the time daddy does bath and I get them dressed.. Apparently daddy is more fun.. Haha. So it's only when Joe's not home they get left. I tthink Charlie is possibly sensible enough to be left alone if o stayed upstairs with him but Lewis is definately not sensible enough..
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:02 am 
Post subject:
I've been wondering this lately too. My DD is 3.5, I feel comfortable in leaving her unsupervised for a couple of minutes or so, as our house is one level I can always hear her very well, talking singing and splashing and I am always around, not too far. Might pop down to the kitchen to put the kettle on, or go to the loo etc but it's like.. walk down the hall from bathroom to kitchen, pop the kettle on, maybe a quick glance at the news on tv then straight back to the bathroom. then when kettle is done quickly walk back down make the cuppa then straight back up to bathroom while it mashes. don't leave her for that long at all really. I'm not sure when I would feel totally comfortable in leaving her all alone. Although I am sure she would be fine at the age she is now.

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 am 
Post subject:
Hi. I tend to run the bath, undress them both in the bathroom and into the bath. DD sits in a bath ring and I have those non slip sticky things under DS.
I usually am then in and out of the bathroom - on same floor - tidying up bedrooms etc.. I listen out for them all the time.
But got a terrible fright this week - I didn't realise DD had a stinky when I was undressing her so had to take her to her room to clean her first, I left DS in the bathroom - dressed and not in the bath. Few seconds later I heard him scream - he had fallen into the bath (was putting his toys in), I got SUCH a fright! He could have seriously hurt himself.
Never, ever, ever again... Just takes a second for an accident to happen.
xxx

Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:57 am 
Post subject:
I'm with Steph Charlie has been having unsupervised baths since 2 as well, he has loads of toys and empty bottles to play with he loves it in the bath alone! He shouts if he needs me, plus our house isn't that big anyway so I can hear him splashing and playing.
He gets in and out himself if he needs the loo, but always calls me when he is finished and wants to be wrapped up like baby and carried down stairs and dried!
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:19 pm 
Post subject:
My friends and I were talking about this the other day as I've still not left Oliver on his own with knowing the fact it can take just seconds to drown in a lot less water than thats in a bath but they've been leaving theirs who are the same age since they were 2. I think I'll be waiting a while yet.

Terri xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:22 pm 
Post subject:
i leave my two for a few seconds if i have forgot something but i always worry about the falling and turning the hot tap on as our hot water is boiling mine are 3 and 2 and i think it will be a while before i leave mine.
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:47 pm 
Post subject:
Bath time is crazy in my house. For quickness I do Shannah, Adam and Kieran together or just the boys if I do them in the day. I leave them while I get their jamas but other than that I sit in there with them. If I had just Kieran though (same age as Steph's little one) I think I could leave him a lot more as he doesn't mess around in the bath and just sits and plays. It depends on the child really as much as the age and Steph's child has always seemed quite advanced and independant for her age from the posts I read on here which is similar to how Kieran is.

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm 
Post subject:
It's two in my bath then one out and the next one in. If I've forgotten something for the bath then I'll run and get it. I have only recently let my 8 year old stay in the bath and have a relax. I couldn't leave Eoin on his own, he's like a lune in the bath, he tries to jump everywhere.
When the older 3 have a shower I wash their hair and then let them wash themselves while I potter round.

StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
Now we're in the flat I do leave Isabelle and George having a splash - with the bathroom door open I can tidy the kitchen and still see them at all times. And they are always giggling and I'm always talking to them so know they're okay! They love bathtime and have always been safe.

It's probably one of those things that is down to how your child behaves, rather than a specific age! x

fifitrixibelle
Posted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:08 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think Steph meant completely unsupervised but popping but to get something or do something in the next room with the rooms open is fine. I've probably been doing that since jp was about 2 as well literally just brief passing moments to grab something etc and now I'm quite relaxed about taking Maria out the bath seeing to her and leaving jp to mess about a bit while the waters draining and he waits til I'm ready to come back to help him out. obviously as long as your watching them and listening for them or talking to them etc I don't see the real harm as long as you're vigilant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular