in desperate need of some inspiration to gain weight..

EmmaSharonMiasMummy
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:38 pm 
Post subject: in desperate need of some inspiration to gain weight..
Hiya

I'm 5 Foot 8 so pretty tall but I only weigh 7 stone 11 pounds I can't seem to get past 7 stone 13 pounds, I'm under a dietician at my doctors and am taking scandishake supplements to help me but they don't seem to be making a difference and are very sickly.

I've recently had this tummy bug going round so it has made me feel awful and not want to eat anything and I'm a poor eater to start with. Somedays I can eat loads and other days I barely eat anything.

Would just like someone to give me some advice on foods to eat which are rich in calories to help gain weight, I love cheese and yoghurts etc but still don't eat a lot of them xx
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm 
Post subject:
Anything fattening, burgers, etc, cheese, bread, pasta, chocolate. I went through a phase of eating nutella straight out the tub and gained half a stone lol
If you dont eat a lot though you wont gain much as thats what it comes down to x

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:37 pm 
Post subject:
you need to increase your calorie intake. to maintain weight an average is around 1700 calories, so you need to be consuming around 2000-2500 to gain weight.

fatty foods will help, but the other effects on your health wont be good. try to eat 3 good meals and 3 snacks a day. bulk up with carbs, toast, pasta, potatoes and rice.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:46 am 
Post subject:
Nuts are high in calories and good oils - and fill you up but are easily snacked on - that is what I had to eat when I needed to gain weight. It took a while but worked. Also make changes (if you haven't already) to full fat products like full fat milk, cheeses and yoghurts, nothing reduced or low fat. That can add a few extra calories per day. It could be that you just have a very fast metabolism in which case you'll have to overcompensate for it by eating a lot more - but then if you aren't a big eater that can be a big ask!

Like someone said - eat three decent meals a day and three snacks or four even. Try to have something with you at all times, cereal bars, high energy nut bars, packets of nuts or chocolate peanuts/raisins are good as again, they don't require much thought to snack on but can build up calories through the day in smaller managable amounts!

On thing a doctor asked me to do was go and buy a really gorgeous item of clothing - but in the size bigger than I needed - that made me want to eat on days when I didn't want to because I made myself want to be able to wear it without it looking like a potato sack on me! Smile I know that my issues were psychological where yours may be to do with your metabolism or whatever, but it may help you when you have your days when you barely eat - to kind of prompt you to munch something extra anyway! Smile

xxx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:11 pm 
Post subject:
That's a great idea of your Dr's May. I wouldn't eat really fatty foods as it will just affect your health in other ways. But try and build your calories up gradually and set yourself 3 main meals. Try and increase your carbs (rice, pasta, bread) as they're metabolised slower I think so you body will maintain on to them.

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:27 pm 
Post subject:
Try having things like fruit juices and milkshakes and even make the milkshakes with icecream if you can, that way your getting goodness and calories Smile

thatonethere
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:13 am 
Post subject:
one thing to start off with is add some milk powder into your regular milk and use it as normal in your cereal and tea etc, you won't notice the difference but there's extra calories etc xx
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:23 am 
Post subject:
I just wondered if you'd had tests done to see if there's a medical reason like an over active thyroid ?
To be honest if there's no medical reason for it and its not affecting your health I wouldn't worry too much Question
I know at 8 1/2 st and 5 ft 7 I felt a bit skinny (when I was 26 ) but your metabolism slows down anyway as you age and by your mid thirties a lot of women find they gain weight more easily and then being overweight can be an issue , so I certainly wouldn't start to eat more fats and sugars now to gain weight as not only is that not very good for you now but when your metabolism does slow down you could find you gain quickly Shocked
I have a terrible sweet tooth and could get away with eating pretty much anything until my mid thirties but i'm suffering for it now Rolling Eyes
So I'd just concentrate on eating a healthy well balanced diet, and the more you eat the more you might want to eat Question I know what you mean about losing your appetite after being ill, I get like that but if you force yourself to eat then generally your appetite picks up , finding food you really like helps as well , maybe buy a recipe book and try new things Question
Things that smell great while cooking stimulate your appetite more and planning meals and having set meal times might help too , I know when I had young kids I'd often make food for them and not eat myself so sitting down with them while they eat and eating something yourself is a good idea (its supposed to help kids be better eaters too Question )
If you haven't had checks though its worth asking about thyroid testing as if it is down to that nothing you do will work Smile xx
EmmaSharonMiasMummy
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:03 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for all the replies girls Smile all the information has helped me loads, i have actually started eating more since the other day and started gaining a little bit of weight i am so chuffed Very Happy cant wait to be a healthier girl instead of looking like a stick lol xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular