Too fat for clomid??

leanne17
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject: Too fat for clomid??
Hi Girls, iv had a long time away from here going through tests and getting married. Iv been told that my problem with TTC is that I don't ovulate, however the GP told me that I need to lose 2 stone before I can go on clomid! Just wanted some advice really if anyone has gone through this? I also have an under active thyroid so trying to lose weight is really difficult and I had lost a stone before going to the GP! Just feel like I am never gunna get there. Thanks ladies and lots of baby dust to you all! Xx

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:19 pm 
Post subject:
Congratulations on your wedding. Sorry to hear your GP told you that. Well done for already losing a stone, you should be really proud of yourself. I know it's gonna be difficult, but at least you know you can do it, and what you were doing was obviously working. Is your thyroid under control with medication? If you find you are putting weight on while being careful what you eat, then it probably isn't. Getting it under control will really help, so make sure you have regular blood tests.

Are there any exercise classes or anything you can join?

xx

MrsZargon
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there - the best thing I can suggest is joining a slimming group. I used to do ww and found that the weekly meetings really helped me stay on track. The other thing that helps me now is that I was taught that 20 times makes a habit so it is hardest to stick to a regime at first but the more you do it the easier it becomes! Its a personal choice but if I am slimming these days I don't have any sugary treats at all because once ive got the taste I can't help myself eating the whole packet!

If you genuinely can't lose weight (when you honestly truly stick to a healthy eating plan) then you should ask your GP for help x
TTC1stbaby
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
Congrats on losing the first stone. I am overweight and do not ovulate as well and my dr told me I needed to lose weight bc fertility drugs would be less likely to work. I started exercising when I watch tv and have taken off 20 lbs. You might try exercising during commercials and add a few more steps or movements to daily activities. I actually started a chart on the computer and log my exercise and weight every week. Keeps me honest. The dr also told me to try low carb diets (which I haven't done bc I can't follow it, I don't have the willpower. I love pastas and meat). Even if you do get prescribed clomid and it fails for you do not feel like you are alone. Clomid doesn't work well in women that are overweight. You might ask your dr abt femara. Most dr prefer to start with clomid though.
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:54 am 
Post subject:
The GI diet is supposed to be really good for women who don't ovulate ? Some women have found just doing the diet and losing the weight is enough to get the ovulating again, I do think your GP could be more helpful though and at least refer you to a dietitian as you have thyroid issues as well to deal with , as TTClst baby said though if thats not under control properly then it will be harder so I'd ask about having bloods with a view to reviewing if your meds need to be changed xx
teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there

I had clomid and I had to have my bmi under 30!

If you really want to give your weight loss a kick start the mayo clinic diet is really good, you can loose lots of weight in 2 weeks if you stick to it!

Its not a perm solution but if it would help to get you kick started google it its very easy to do and quite cheap (hard but your never hungry)

Saying that I find going to WW the best thing I have ever done, I think once you get your head into gear and you stick to it the weight comes off, although I dont know anything about the under active thyroid and how that affects weight

Good luck

Dont give up hope you will get there in the end x
Posted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:06 pm 
Post subject:
See I don't buy this weight issue and ovulation. I very rarely ovulate and in the past I've been told I'm underweight and gain weight and periods will return; they didn't. Then I've been told I'm overweight bmi 26 and to loose and I will ovulate/ get periods; guess what no i didn't!!
Good luck with the weight loss and ttc.
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:26 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all your help ladies I truly eat healthily I don't eat chocolate or sugary snacks Sad this is what annoys me and I go to the gym 3-4 times a week so I'm honestly doing everything I can, I feel like they should look at my lifestyle before saying I need to lose 2 stone as I'm trying but the weight just isn't coming off. My dr says I can't blame my weight on my thyroid but what else could it be when I live a healthy lifestyle Sad and read stories of ladies that are much bigger than me getting prescribed clomid. I might ask about Ferema tho thanks Hun Smile thanks for all your replies. Lots of baby dust to u all xxx

KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:32 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Leanne. It's a bit of a viscious cycle with weight. Even thyroid issues aside, once you're overweight it slows your metabolism down to make it harder to lose so it could be that (but as the other ladies say, I'd also make sure your thyroid is properly controlled). If your most recent blood tests show your thyroid still isn't under control then your GP is talking out of his/her backside saying you can't blame it on that.
Can you see a different Doctor? If you're not happy with how you've been dealt with, check out the NHS website for details but there are other steps you can take like speaking to PALS(patient advise and liaison service) - but I'd exhaust all options through your GP surgery first.

If you are under-eating, your body may go into starvation mode and store everything though, so you won't lose weight this way - make sure you're eating enough.
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 am 
Post subject:
With PCOS it's very difficult to lose the weight, I have it too and it does affect ovulation. For me my bmi doesn't improve ovulation unfortunately, but with my sister losing weight does bring back regular cycles, so it's just down to the individual I suppose. What you can ask for though is 'metformin' this helps those with insulin resistant PCOS to lose weight and can also help with ovulation at the same time. Even if it doesn't help your cycles, it should help bring the weight down and then enable you to get clomid.
It always seems so cruel to be denied a drug because of weight, esepcially when you are doing everything you can to lose it in the first place, but unfortunately the meds are just not effective when your bmi is too high.
Good luck with it and well done for losing the weight so far! xx

Jo3x
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 am 
Post subject:
Sorry leanne i have no advice...but just wanted to say well done on losing a stone! Thats a really good achievement! and if you've done it before you can do it again! Good luck and sending you lots of baby dust! Love Jo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jodywood
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:25 am 
Post subject:
I gained several pounds on clomid, maybe 7-8 over 3 month of trying. Afterwards I askedmy doc if my weight gain might be my thyroid and he said no, it was probably the clomid. Great, thanks for the warning doc!
KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:54 pm 
Post subject:
Yes, it's one of the potential side effects of clomid. Another is thick cervical mucus.

^Both of which are counter-productive when ttc.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular