Benefit fraud

Faerydae
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 am 
Post subject: Benefit fraud
argh, I'm seriously panicking Sad

got a letter yesterday asking me to attend a meeting next week regarding alleged benefit fraud.

Now, I informed all benefits when OH started work and as a result my income support and housing benefit stopped so obviously I think they got my notification, a few weeks later just the HB started up again but at a smaller amount that what I got previously, so naturally I think that they've reassessed my claim and that's what I was now entitled to, I didn't receive any letters to say why they had restarted it and with how busy my life is I quickly forgot about it.

Now I've received this letter and I'm bricking it for this meeting now because I wasn't under the impression I'd done anything wrong! Crying or Very sad
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:52 am 
Post subject:
I would just go in with all your proof, payslips etc, and be open with them. they are used to doing this and will be able to tell the difference between an honest mistake and a genuine false claim.

I think its a bit strange that they have gone straight to a meeting, as Iv had on more then one occasion letters off the benefits asking me to contact them to help with 'investigations' usually they seem to think someone is living with me.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject:
I've been accused of benefit fraud via tax credits this year as my oh left us in march and I changed my claimto single although everything I have told them is true he flagged up as still living with us as he never changed hos bank address.. The only proof they would accept was proof of his new address which I couldn't give as he was living with his mum with no bill etc... As long as you have letters and pay slips and proof that you informed the relevant people you will be fine. Smile xx
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:58 am 
Post subject:
I've been accused of benefit fraud via tax credits this year as my oh left us in march and I changed my claimto single although everything I have told them is true he flagged up as still living with us as he never changed hos bank address.. The only proof they would accept was proof of his new address which I couldn't give as he was living with his mum with no bill etc... As long as you have letters and pay slips and proof that you informed the relevant people you will be fine. Smile xx
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:58 am 
Post subject:
yeah this is the first letter I've had off them since informing them he was working, other than letters asking me for information for my income support anyway, which I'd stopped claiming so didn't see the point in giving them information for that or "they would stop it" when it had already been stopped and I knew I wasn't entitled to claim it anymore.

it doesn't even state WHICH benefit they're investigating which would help me prepare for this meeting! (we get HB, child benefit, child tax credits and working tax credits) for all I know, it could actually be about the working tax credits because I did only use a very rough estimate on the form for that as I do a lot of temp work so had no idea how much I'd actually earned
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:02 am 
Post subject:
oh and just a side note that makes this even more annoying for me, I'm being investigated over what is probably a simple honest mistake, and yet I know someone who is genuinely committing benefit fraud (claiming disability and other benefits whilst running his own business!) and me and many others have even reported him for it, and he's never been investigated! Evil or Very Mad grrr
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:12 pm 
Post subject:
My sil has been claiming single child tax credits for 10 years even when she was with her babies dad and whime shes been with my bil.. Yet shes never been investigated. Ours was a simple mistake that has cost us a year's repayment of benefit... Simply because we dont have enough 'proof' x
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:22 am 
Post subject:
well today is the day of the meeting... gotta set off in 20 mins.

Decided I'm just going to explain the situation and if they want me to pay back any overpayments then I'll be happy to do it monthly.... surely that will suffice and nothing more will come of it? Sad
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:25 am 
Post subject:
Good luck. Im sure if you tell them everything they will see its a genuine mistake.

I think they will let you pay it back monthly, you see so many cases of people getting thousands in benefit fraud and they hardly pay anything back

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 pm 
Post subject:
How did you get on?

xx

Faerydae
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:30 pm 
Post subject:
eugh they were horrible! they kept trying to trip me up with what I'm saying and because of my ADHD I get confused really easily and so in the end I was sat there in tears thinking it probably sounded like I was lying Sad

they've not said what they're doing next but ended it with accepting that I made an honest mistake, so now I'm left waiting to see if I get any more letters through my door :s
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:35 pm 
Post subject:
Shocked that's really unfair. I would throw in a discrimination card of they tried to 'blame' confusion on your ADHD.
At least it ended as acceptance of a geniune mistake, but if you don't get the right answer, write a letter of complaint about their attitudes towards you. Even draft one out now whilst it is still fresh in your mind and emotions - you can always edit it later if you need to send one.

xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:52 pm 
Post subject:
You should have taken someone in with you and I really hope they see it as a mistake.
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm 
Post subject:
I could see it going badly due to there attitudes from the start because as soon as I walked in, I had LO with me and just got "it's not really ideal having a baby with you" well what did they expect me to do with him?? and also when asked if I want legal advice (at the VERY start) I said no and just got "well why not??" how about the fact that I had NO idea what the allegations WERE at that point so how could I ask for legal advice??

yeah I think I will write up a letter tonight just incase, thanks, just hoping they leave it at that now or at most just ask for repayments.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular