Delivering placenta

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:49 am 
Post subject: Delivering placenta
Injection or natural? Is there risks/benefits either way?
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:15 pm 
Post subject:
I had the injection with noah, just to get it all done with, so I could freshen up and not have to wait to push the placenta out. I suppose I was in the pushing zone at the time so thought to myself I might as well carry on. I will be having it again

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm 
Post subject:
i was told there was no risks with the injection and it meant there is more chance of the placenta being delivered as a whole and also less risk of bleeding so i have said i want the injection xx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:19 pm 
Post subject:
I had injection, same reason as Char.

My sister did hers naturally as she wanted the placenta to remain in tact for something to do with oxygen and iron continued to be passed onto the baby. This does lengthen the time you will have contractions for it tho

xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 pm 
Post subject:
I had the injection as I was told that it made delivering the placenta quicker.

I dont actually remember delivering the placenta, so it cant have been painful.

I remember after she was born saying to the mw how long to deliver the placenta, and she said its nearly here, then I felt like something was being pulled out of me.

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
I had the injection with Oliver and it was fast and painfree and it all came away easily. I am going to have it again cos I just want it done and I can enjoy my baby and let the MW's go home lol.

I was just wondering if there was any actual benifits to delivering naturally...don't think i'd have the patience tbh Laughing
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:36 pm 
Post subject:
I expected to just be having the placenta after Anais came out but didnt, i didnt deliver that untill we got the del suite where she gave me the injection an pulled my placenta out Smile xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 am 
Post subject:
It's good if you can wait to clamp the cord until it stops pulsing and all the blood in it has gone to baby,as that blood is actually part of babies circulation before birth and delaying clamping helps prevent aneamia in babies Smile and gives them better oxygen saturation, not sure if they will do that if you have the injection just before the birth Question
But after recently being with my DD who had a fantastic water birth with no pain relief and was doing brilliantly,even caught her own baby as she delivered and it was lovely and calm and peaceful Very Happy but then had trouble with the placenta and after 1/2hr with no sign of it arriving had to get out of the pool Rolling Eyes and found it hard to cope as she was still having contractions but without the water for pain relief and it meant she couldn't then hold her baby because she was in pain and being messed about with , it made me glad I had the injection to deliver all mine Question
She didn't have bleeding though and her placenta came out whole Question and its not normal for it to take so long to deliver it naturally its normally 10 minutes to 1/2 an hour Question having the injection can cause the womb to clamp down too much and actually trap the placenta and there's actually more chance of retained pieces and later bleeding or infection as they physically pull the placenta out Shocked and the drug they use can cause high blood pressure, sickness and vomiting and some women will get very strong cramping Confused so there are benefits and potential problems both ways Question
BUT if you're planning on breastfeeding then feeding right after the birth can help it come away quicker anyway Smile
If I had another (never gonna happen mind you Rolling Eyes Laughing )I wouldn't have the injection during delivery, I'd wait, try and breast feed and then if it was taking too long to come out or was too painful or interfering with bonding time I'd have the injection then to get it over with Question Smile
You can ask them to wait and ask them to not give you the injection straight away but then have it later as Lexismum did Question
Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:53 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for that. Smile
I did my birthplan yesterday and have requested the cord stop pulsating before they clamp.
With Oliver, he had been delivered before I had the injection..I remember that and it came out whole too so I think I'll do that. Smile

Jump to:  

Community

Popular