Ivf and icsi

XxxchrisyxxX
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Post subject: Ivf and icsi
Hi my partner and I ttc for two years. When he got his SA result there was no percentages just stars like ** which stated his results where below lower reference levels of 'W.H.O'

Also on the comment box which only half of coul be seen it stayed that initially 355 sperm seen. Post exam 3455 where seen an that 4 million white round cells seen and was sent off to check for infection which was all clear. It also sai that patient would be ideal for ICSI.

When we went to see doctor all they said was we would be suitable for ICSI. I thought there would of been percentages of everything, and I don't understand why there wasn't any ? Please help

Xx
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:08 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, was this an NHS test? My dh had 3 semen analysis done by nhs and we were told he had less than half a million, no other information. We were told ivf with icsi was our only chance so we comtacted a private fertility clinic. We got a lot more detailed results from them and it turned out he had 2 million per ml. This was about 3 years ago, we now have an 18 month old son through icsi and just today had a frozen embryo transferred!

There is loads he can do to improve the quality of his sperm to give icsi the best chance possible. If you want to know more, just ask. Its terrible news to get, dont give up hope!
XxxchrisyxxX
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hi yes it was nhs. The dr however did not mention having another test done ??? Everywhere I have been read 1ml, 4ml ect this just said 355 was found an post examination in the 3000's ? I'm just confused would be his count altogether ? I'm so confused and quite upset because there was no mention of any other treatment just icsi ? The chances of icsi are 34 % and I'm not sure what to think about that.

Thank you for comment

Smile x x

That's great news and good luck !!! X
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks!

They should be doing a follow up test in a month or 2 as so many things can affect the sperm, they cant just go off one test. In the meantime he can cut right down on alcohol, stick to small amounts of red wine if possible. Also take lots of vitamins, my husband took a multi vitamin, zinc, macca root, slenium and co enzyme q10 (you can get them all in holland and barrett or online), he should also avoid hot baths, strenuous exercise and tight pants (anything that could heat up that area) and eat a healthy balanced diet including lots of anti oxidants, so black grapes, blueberries, red cabbage (anything dark red or purple in colour as a general rule).

If you can afford it, I would book a private consultation at a clinic, I think we paid around £180 and can do this even if you eventually have nhs treatment. I found it cleared everything up and gave us all the answers we were looking for.

With icsi you only need as many sperm as you have eggs as they inject each egg individually, so 3455 will be more than enough!

I know how devastating this feels, but its really not the end of the road, good luck and if you need any more info just ask Smile
XxxchrisyxxX
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 pm 
Post subject:
Yea I think we may just look into private , we where looking into private to get my scans done but my gp said that I woul be seen end of January Smile can I ask I'd you are referred to have icsi does that mean there is no chance of you getting pregnant naturally? Do they do ivf alongside icsi treatment everytime ? I'm sorry to ask so many questions !
DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:30 am 
Post subject:
Chrissy ICSI can only be done as a part of IVF treatment as they have to physically have the eggs in front of them Question , did you mean do they do the ICSI everytime you have IVF ?
For most women they don't they just put the sperm and eggs together and let them get on with it Laughing , but as FC said with ICSI a single sperm is injected into each egg , so you really do only need a few good sperm Smile
Once the eggs are fertilised then its the same as any other IVF treatment .
Even with a low sperm count though it does only take one sperm to get pregnant naturally Smile and generally speaking even with a "normal" sperm count only 20 make it as far as your tube when you have sex Shocked and often only one or two will be there waiting when the egg is ready , so as long as there are some sperm present in the sample you do still have a chance if they're good quality .
FC's advice about boosting your chances with diet and vits is a really good idea because the journey to the egg is a bit like running a marathon would be for us Smile doesn't matter how many runners there are its about who gets to the finish line first Wink
You can get a semen analysis done privately if you want a proper picture , private tests aren't always very expensive ( I think I've seen prices around £65 for a SA Question )
Good luck with the IVF when you do it xxx
XxxchrisyxxX
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:04 am 
Post subject: icis
hi thanks !! yes thats what i meant. I think im really wondering what the possibilities of us conceiving naturally Sad

I think that the whole idea of ivf/icis is very daunting, but well worth it in the end Smile

Thanks for your comments Smile x x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular