low iron and blood platelets

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm 
Post subject: low iron and blood platelets
I've just had a call from my doctors & my iron levels are really low - so low that they say I must be lacking on another mineral not just iron. And my blood platelets have dropped they were 80 million and now slightly less which is really worrying.

They say the baby is fine but its me they are concerned about but if I get really ill the baby may have to come out early Sad I am so scared !! I don't know what to do or think everything has been going so well Sad

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm 
Post subject:
Could you ask about an iron infusion?? My mum had a few of those when she was pregnant due to low iron.. I think there worried with your platelets cos your blood wont clot by itself.. My friends 9 months old has had several transfusions of platelets but I dont know if thats available to pregnant women and his dropped down to 5. X
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 pm 
Post subject:
I had this throughout this last pregnancy - I went to the hospital every other week to have it monitored, during which it went up and down. At my hospital they wonuldn't do anything until it's below 70 (which you are clearly close to), and even then it's oral or injected medication (to do at home) in the lead up and transfusions ready if you need it (as it has to be ordered and made elsewhere - my closet place was Sheffield that it would come from, which 100 miles away). I was never traeted for my iron levels although I did eventually end up with high blood loss (during emergency section) so am on high levels of iron meds now.

It was never suggested to me about an early birth bc of it tho, so i can't advise / reassure, about that, sorry. Hope they look after you well and your levels increase

xx

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies. I am feeling a little more positive about things that and i feel sure this.one is round to stay. I am just worried about my blood loss but again have to.remember i am in good hands xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular