Being around smokers

Jay100
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:34 pm 
Post subject: Being around smokers
Hi Ladies,

Quick question. My OH and I are staying with my parents this week until Saturday as our new place isn't ready yet.
My dad is a smoker and has been for over 30 years. I hate that he smokes just for his health more than anything but obviously being 28 weeks pregnant i'm now also worried about the baby.

My dad knows the risks and so smokes only in the kitchen with the door closed and 99% of the time I'm upstairs anyway, but my question is how harmful could this be to the baby?

I'm a first time mum so paranoid about everything! I'm thinking that surely if my dad is downstairs and not smoking near me then i shouldn't be putting the baby at risk?
But something keeps nagging at me that i'm not doing the baby any good being in a smoky environment.
I feel awful as I don't want to ask my dad to not smoke in his own house...I'm not sure what to do as we don't have anywhere else to stay until Saturday.
I'm trying to push our new place through quicker but if its not ready its not ready Sad

Thanks for your advice guys xx
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 pm 
Post subject:
Considering a lot of women smoke in pregnancy, i don't hink you are putting you and your baby at too much risk. Just make sure (as you already said you do) don;t be in the room when he is smoking or open windows (brrr... in this weather!) if there is smoke and you need to go in.

In the ideal world unborn babies would not be put at any risk but this is the real world and it does happen

xx

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm 
Post subject:
i agree with mrsoz. my oh smokes but not in our house. when i go back to visit family in bristol we stay with my mum whi smokes in her house. if i.gets to.much i go and sit in the other room. its also good u are not in direct contact.

its down to personal choice. i dont like being around smoke but every now and then will be fine.

my mum smoked through both her pregnancies. u even used to be able to smoke on the maternity wards. i know that does not make it ok but they are tough little babys xx

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
Same..my oh smokes (only on an evening which I thinks silly..he may as well just stop) but he's made to smoke outside.
My mum smokes in her own house but I wouldn't start dictating where she smoke when I go round..I just leave the room lol
As long as your not in the smoky environment the whole time then I don't think it'd be any worse than walking your baby down a busy city centre with car fumes etc
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for all of your replies girls, its definitely made me feel a lot better!

As Mrsoz said you can't protect them from everything, I just want to make sure I'm putting my LO in the best environment I can...also being a first time mum I tend to panic a lot! LOL

Roll on Saturday though! Wink xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular