Should I or shouldn't I?

lysianassa
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject: Should I or shouldn't I?
On Friday Sebastian came home from nursery with a note saying that he's going to be a shepherd in the nursery's nativity play. The thing is is that neither his father or I are Christian's and whilst OH isn't bothered about it, I'm wondering whether I should let him do something that isn't part either of our religions and isn't even historically correct (something that seriously pisses me off as an archaeologist Mad Laughing ). What are your opinions? Have any of you been in this situation or something similar?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject:
If it were me i'd just leave it and let him join in. I'm not religious at all but i wouldn't mind my kids being in a nativity play, especially considering i still celebrate christmas. Do you not celebrate christmas?

lysianassa
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm 
Post subject:
OH doesn't celebrate Christmas but I celebrate Yule. My family does Christmas though

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm 
Post subject:
I would let him join in - he's only young. Maybe as he grows up you could explain to him & then one day he can make up his own mind x

XxKarenXx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
I'd let him play the part. To children it's just fun and to miss out he may feel left out? They celebrate many religions at nursery and primary school it's not forcing them to believe in what's being told but just educating children on others beliefs and why people celebrate certain days of the year etc...

If your son does not take part then that's your choice but you could turn it around and so when he's older and ask why his family don't celebrate Christmas you then can say Christen believe in son of the god so celebrating his son Jesus birthday like those plays you do in nursery/school At December the nativity and just like in September the Islams celebrate Eid-ul-Fit? When the end of Ramadan Muslims dress new pretty clothes, gifts for the children and eating and gathering with family.

My daughter nursery celebrated Sukkah In October which Jews celebrate ok you get the picture.

They have the Christmas play on Friday and she's playing a singing snowflake Very Happy

For me it's just kids having fun at nursery/school while learning about other cultures and beliefs. It's not making them follow it...

P.s I don't follow any beliefs or religions but don't mind being educated on them from others.
Mummy2Harry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:33 pm 
Post subject:
i am not religious but i do celebrate christmas and wouldnt take Harry out if the nativity, i cant wait to see him in it...he is a horse Shocked lol Question xx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:34 pm 
Post subject:
I would let him join in - he's only young. Maybe as he grows up you could explain to him & then one day he can make up his own mind x

XxKarenXx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
Haha me too mummy2Harry. We celebrate xmas for a different reason it's just the old santa brings gifts to all the good boys and girls Very Happy Love it! My daughter is three and is so excited this year about Santa. She is also a snowflake in her nursery play not only am I going her dad booked afternoon of work and her aunt did too. So we're all going to be there with cam ready for photo's . Talk about embarrassing family Very Happy Poor Sophie she'll love it just now but soon she will ban us from attending anything Very Happy
Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:42 pm 
Post subject:

XxKarenXx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm 
Post subject:
Bella your post keeps repeating itself? There must be bug on AskBaby - or you need to go to doctors could be suffering from alzheimer's Wink
Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:57 pm 
Post subject:
Oh gosh sorry i have no idea why !! Damn thing dunno if i can delete them ?

XxKarenXx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:59 pm 
Post subject:
Haha, no idea. Just leave it- it's kinda funny.

The 2nd time it came up I thought I was seeing things so scrolled up and then though must be a bug on askbaby:P
Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:04 pm 
Post subject:
Haha thing is i wasn't even on here after i posted my 1st reply just came back to check and id posted 3 times....work that out Confused

XxKarenXx
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:06 pm 
Post subject:
LOL! It'll just be a technical issue most likely a wee bug.. Xx
Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
Bella83 wrote:
Haha thing is i wasn't even on here after i posted my 1st reply just came back to check and id posted 3 times....work that out Confused
Its your phone Bella..mine does it all the time Laughing

My son is a shepherd too in the nativity at his preschool and although I am not religious, it is a religious preschool he attends and I respect that. I wouldn't pull him out personally as I think he'd be to young to understand why he can't partake when all his friends are just on principle.

Whether its seen as religious and you believe or a fable..the way I see it its just like Santa claus, easter bunny and the tooth fairy Smile
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular