Very scary

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 am 
Post subject: Very scary
We ended up in A and E last night with Izzy as we couldn't get her temperature down and she was complaining her neck was hurting. Hospital was brilliant and made her a priority as when we got there her temp was 40! They thought she had meningitis and I can honestly say I have never been so scared. However, it turns out it is tonsillitis (seems so trifle!!). My point is, she understandably doesn't want to eat , not even yoghurt etc. has anyone's little one had this and how long did it last? Xx
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:47 am 
Post subject:
Awww! Poor you and poor Izzy. I hope a few quiet PJ days do the world of good. Isabelle had it when she was under two, but she still wanted to eat pasta and toasted teacakes?! Just offer what you have and hopefully she'll be back to usual asap. It was about a week before Isabelle was fully better xx

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am 
Post subject:
aw no how scary! i hope shes feeling better soon.. maybe offer her icepops to numb it a bit first? xx
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 am 
Post subject:
Aw no! I know how scary that is, i had to take Liam to A&E when he was about 6 months old cos of high temp, not feeding and constantly screaming. They suspected meningitis with him too and he had to have a lumbar puncture and stay in 3 nights on antibiotics through IV and wait for the results to come back. Luckily it wasnt meningitis and by the day he was discharged the infection (which they picked up in his blood) had disappeared so god knows exactly what he had! But i definitely remember how scary that was.
I'm glad its only tonsilitis she has and nothing worse! My kids haven't had it before but i used to get it constantly as a kid and i remember the worst of it lasting a few days until the antibiotics kicked in. Maybe offer her some ice cream? X

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm 
Post subject:
Ouch - poor Izzy. Hope she feels better soon. Good job you had her checked out so you know what it is tho. Must have been awful for you

xx

abbie29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:05 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks guys - she's eaten some mini marshmallows so I suppose that's something. She's turned down ice cream and ice pops. It was a horrible night and it's always worse when the medical professionals tell you it could be your worse nightmare (we'd taken her there as she was displaying symptoms of meningitis but you never really think it is, I don't think!) - Jenna, we were so lucky not to have to do the lumbar puncture - I'm so pathetic, as soon as they said that would be the next thing, I burst into tears. Fortunately, the paediatric consultant wanted to run all her tests again before they did that so he could be sure and then he managed to get a good look at her tonsils - I'm grateful for the hospital being both thorough, quick and thoughtful (they gave her a teddy bear to take home for being so brave). I seem to have spent today shovelling medicine down her but she does seem a bit brighter this afternoon. I used to get tonsilitis a lot but even the paed consultant said it must be a particularly vicious bout for her temperature to get and stay so high (I felt like an awful mother carrying her child through the car park in just her PJs when everyone else was wrapped up for winter but even then we had to strip her completely when we got inside!) It seems so daft when I say we took her to A and E and it was tonsilitis but it was the best thing to do!
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
It's not daft - I would have done the same thing

xx

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:28 pm 
Post subject:
I would say keep away from sugar purely because it makes infections worse. I had tonsilitis a few years ago and didnt eat anything but soup occasionally. I went off food for about 10 days xx

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
Awww hun - I feel for you (and her!!!) I can honestly say it terrifies me that one day something could be seriously wrong with Samuel - I'd be so scared!!! I used to get tonsillitis loads as a child and also now as an adult - last time I had it I had it recurring (because they wouldn't give me longer than a week of antibiotics) 4 times in 10 weeks - ended up on a month of double dose antibiotics and then had post-viral fatigue (a form of chronic fatigue) and arthritis in my hands (I know - wtf?!) for 3 months after that. At my worst I couldn't be touched as my arms and whole torso felt so bruised, I cried when my husband helped me get into the car because I was in so much pain - so I totally understand when your poor little girl said her neck ached Sad It was so horrible - can't imagine for a child - she must have been so brave! I'm so so glad that it wasn't 'more serious' but as my story shows - tonsillitis is so much more than a throat infection and can really hurt - so I hope she gets well soon. She may find after a better night of sleep and with 24 hours or so of medicine that she feels up for icecream soon - I hope so! Smile
*hugs* xxx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:22 pm 
Post subject:
abbie29 wrote:
Thanks guys - she's eaten some mini marshmallows so I suppose that's something. She's turned down ice cream and ice pops. It was a horrible night and it's always worse when the medical professionals tell you it could be your worse nightmare (we'd taken her there as she was displaying symptoms of meningitis but you never really think it is, I don't think!) - Jenna, we were so lucky not to have to do the lumbar puncture - I'm so pathetic, as soon as they said that would be the next thing, I burst into tears. Fortunately, the paediatric consultant wanted to run all her tests again before they did that so he could be sure and then he managed to get a good look at her tonsils - I'm grateful for the hospital being both thorough, quick and thoughtful (they gave her a teddy bear to take home for being so brave). I seem to have spent today shovelling medicine down her but she does seem a bit brighter this afternoon. I used to get tonsilitis a lot but even the paed consultant said it must be a particularly vicious bout for her temperature to get and stay so high (I felt like an awful mother carrying her child through the car park in just her PJs when everyone else was wrapped up for winter but even then we had to strip her completely when we got inside!) It seems so daft when I say we took her to A and E and it was tonsilitis but it was the best thing to do!

Yeah its awful knowing your LO has to go through something like that. I did get upset but i think because of everything i had saw him go through while he was in SCBU i sort of felt like i knew he was a tough wee cookie and would get through it and be fine once it was over (which he was!) But they didnt even think about it with liam, it was pretty much 10 min after the doctor saw him she was taking him away to have the lumbar puncture. Its definitely a worst nightmare for parents. Glad shes perked up a bit today!

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:23 pm 
Post subject:
XxAvasmummyxX wrote:
I would say keep away from sugar purely because it makes infections worse. I had tonsilitis a few years ago and didnt eat anything but soup occasionally. I went off food for about 10 days xx

Since when did sugar make infections worse Confused

AngelDelight
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 am 
Post subject:
Oh no sorry to hear you had to suffer this. It must have been horrendous and I would have been so upset too. I used to suffer a lot with tonsilightis when I was a child and remember how painful it was. Glad it did not turn out to be anything serious and hope izzy is recovering well xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:38 am 
Post subject:
my partner passed out and got rushed to a n e and that was tonsillitis they said they have seen more people becoming more ill with it recently. i hope shes better soon xx
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:04 am 
Post subject:
Well, she asked to go to bed at 5.45pm last night (a first for her!!) and then woke up again at 8.20pm and wanted me to stay with her. I ended up sleeping on the floor in her room which settled her and although she woke up a few times, she always went quickly back off. At one point, she woke up drenched in sweat (which she hasn't been) so I think the fever might have broken then. She's woken up a bit better this morning - I soaked her favourite 'treat' cereal in milk (cookie crisps!!) and she had a small portion of that which is pretty much the first proper thing she's eaten since Friday but she's decided she doesn't like her medicine, so I'm bribing her with mini marshmallows (they're mine for my hot chocolate - my OH said it shows how much I love her!) but she's definitely brighter and her temperature's back to normal. My Mum and Dad have gone to buy her a little Christmas tree for her room for being brave and they're going to get some decorations to put on herself which has cheered her up. I'm going to take tomorrow off work (I only work Weds, Thurs, Fri) as she usually goes to nursery but if she continues to improve, my MIL looks after her on Thursdays and my Mum and Dad on Fridays so I'd be a bit more heppy to leave her.

Thanks for the support ladies, it has been a horrible week - she's usually such a chatty and bubbly little thing and she's just been lying on the sofa Sad but hopefully we've turned the corner.

Avasmummy - I didn't know sugar made infections worse?! Unfortunately, she's like her mummy and appealing food is always sweet and I'd rather she ate that than nothing so I hope I'm not making it worse!
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am 
Post subject:
abbie29 wrote:
Well, she asked to go to bed at 5.45pm last night (a first for her!!) and then woke up again at 8.20pm and wanted me to stay with her. I ended up sleeping on the floor in her room which settled her and although she woke up a few times, she always went quickly back off. At one point, she woke up drenched in sweat (which she hasn't been) so I think the fever might have broken then. She's woken up a bit better this morning - I soaked her favourite 'treat' cereal in milk (cookie crisps!!) and she had a small portion of that which is pretty much the first proper thing she's eaten since Friday but she's decided she doesn't like her medicine, so I'm bribing her with mini marshmallows (they're mine for my hot chocolate - my OH said it shows how much I love her!) but she's definitely brighter and her temperature's back to normal. My Mum and Dad have gone to buy her a little Christmas tree for her room for being brave and they're going to get some decorations to put on herself which has cheered her up. I'm going to take tomorrow off work (I only work Weds, Thurs, Fri) as she usually goes to nursery but if she continues to improve, my MIL looks after her on Thursdays and my Mum and Dad on Fridays so I'd be a bit more heppy to leave her.

Thanks for the support ladies, it has been a horrible week - she's usually such a chatty and bubbly little thing and she's just been lying on the sofa Sad but hopefully we've turned the corner.

Avasmummy - I didn't know sugar made infections worse?! Unfortunately, she's like her mummy and appealing food is always sweet and I'd rather she ate that than nothing so I hope I'm not making it worse!

Thats good that shes managed to eat something.
I really dont think sugar makes infections worse lol i've never heard of that and a quick google brought up that it makes YEAST infections worse so i wouldnt worry x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular