Petrol smell in bathroom?

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject: Petrol smell in bathroom?
I put my heating on a couple of hours ago and after half an hour i could smell a strong smell, wasnt sure if it was gas or what but noticed it was coming from the area round the kitchen radiator. Then i noticed that there was a plastic bag leaning against it so i thought it must be that burning. I moved it away and the smell disappeared.
But then OH comes through and says to go in the bathroom cos he could smell something. I go in and it is REALLY strong smelling of like petrol Confused I've never had a gas leak so dunno if thats what gas smells like or what but i turned my heating off. Its now only in the bathroom, no other room smells and it doesnt smell like its coming from the radiator Confused I live in a 2nd floor flat so also dunno if it could be coming through the floor or ceiling from one of my neighbours.
My mum said i should phone the gas company but i dont even know if thats what it is. Has anyone had this before? Confused

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
You should DEFINATELY ring the gas company, chances are they can tell you what the smell is anyway. Too dangerous to risk it. They'll come out straight away.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
The smell has disappeared now. Should i still be concerned? Confused OH is adamant its not gas, he says it smells like petrol and gas is more like rotten eggs Confused

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Sulphur smells like rotten eggs but not normal household gas. But its a different smell again to petrol. Have you got a gas cooker? If you have turn it on without lighting it and see if that's the smell in your bathroom

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 pm 
Post subject:
Nope its only my heating thats gas. The smell seems to have gone now so i dunno what to think, and even put my heating back on to see if the smell came back but it seems fine x

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
maybe someone was working outside on a car and the petrol smell had wafted in the window?
petrol and gas smell very different.
petrol stations usually smell of petrol, (I love that smell).
gas has
a chemical added to make it smell, it is a sickly rotten egg sort of smell, you can almost taste it too - yak!
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:12 pm 
Post subject:
I thought that too but i opened the window and it was just fresh air from outside Confused

Really baffled about what it was but it hasnt returned. It definitely had that smell of petrol, like if you go into a garage where someone has a car stored. Very strange.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
I thought that too but i opened the window and it was just fresh air from outside Confused

Really baffled about what it was but it hasnt returned. It definitely had that smell of petrol, like if you go into a garage where someone has a car stored. Very strange.

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 pm 
Post subject:
very strange indeed! is there anyone else in the house who maybe had petrol on them? maybe someone had been splashed at the petrol station and left clothes in bathroom? I hope it doesnt come back!
jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Nope both me and OH dont have a car or had been anywhere near one. The only thing i can think of is that it was coming up through the pipes from one of my neighbours flats cos i put bleach down my bathroom plughole and after that the smell disappeared Confused

Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:04 pm 
Post subject:
that would do it! My old school was in a very old hotel turned into a school, you could smell turps in other classrooms from turps being put down the sink in the art rooms!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular