Screening :(

Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:41 pm 
Post subject: Screening :(
So I've got my first cervical screening test tomorrow Sad and I'm worried big style about it. I've put it off for 10 months then the past couple of weeks just kept thinking that I have to go so booked it before I changed my mind. I know we have to have them and I'm glad of that but I'm so worried about if anything is found , I don't like being examined by someone I don't know which is so stupid considering I've had a baby u wud think I got used to it. I know it wont be as bad as I think ..... I hope and I hope everything will be good and clear. Anybody had abnormal results and what happens after?

123babycakes
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:58 pm 
Post subject:
It's a very quick procedure, so before you go in think of something that you're going to think about whilst the nurse is doing her thing. Perhap's youve still got Christmas presents to decide on. Then, once she's started really think and concentrate on it, and get your mind off where you are .....and before you know it she'll be done.

I've had a couple of occasions where I've had 'inconclusive' results, and have had to go back for a second test. But all have been clear. I think reasons for inconclusive tests may be to do with amount of CM, or contamination of blood in the sample they take.

Please don't worry, once you've had it done you can forget about it for a year or two (5 years if you are under 30, I think). The chances of having an 'abnormal' result are low, so don't worry until you have to. Have you any history in the family to make you worry?

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:58 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you for replying that's good to know that it's quick. That's a really good idea about putting my mind elsewhere I do it of a night time cos I find it really hard to fall asleep and always does the trick of helping forget what I'm actually doing, might wear a long jumper to cover up a bit Embarassed Embarassed
There's no particular reason,I mean ive always been scared of ill health anyway.... Im a worrywart Rolling Eyes so things like this are a nightmare for me. My mom had abnormal cells when I was little turned out to be nothing serious but suppose it could of been if it was left unnoticed so I gota go. I'm sure I will get used to them it's just the first is always the worst cos duno what to expect Question xxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 am 
Post subject:
When I went for my first test I hardly noticed she had done it.

The results on that came back as borderline changes, so I had to go back after 6 months to see if there was any change, that was clear, then again 6 months later, that was clear, finally 12 months later (which was this year) all clear and now I dont have to go back for 3 years Very Happy

Unfortunately I have a tilted womb which makes it difficult for them to get at my cervix, and 2 of the tests have been really uncomfortable as the nurses have been pretty useless. Last time I was at a new doctors and told the nurse and she was done in seconds and I hardly noticed.

So I think sometimes it is down to the nurse, as all of mine have been done by different nurses and Iv had 2 good, 1 ok and 1 bad experience.

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:57 am 
Post subject:
Also I usually wear a long floaty skirt so I just have to pull it up

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:45 pm 
Post subject:
Depends on who does it and how your cervix is to how it feels IMHO, my cervix is tilted and I still hardly feel anything when they have to go at an angle.
I had years of abnormal smears and finally had lazer treatment for precancerous cells just before I got pregnant first time. I now have to go back every 6 months for another 6 years but have not had any further abnormals since. You have to remember that they examining for 'pre-cancerous' and not cancer - most will not develop into cancer but is a cautionary procedure which smear tests pre-examine for.

Good luck, having a smear is not as bad as you think... promise. I just wish they would extend the age back to 18 years for the few who do develop cancer at a young age

xx

Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks girls felt a lot better about it before I went and it wasn't half as bad as I thought , lovely nurse , was a tad embarresed then thought don't b silly it's worse havin a baby , all ur dignity goes out the window then so this is a walk in the park in comparison lol ! Was a bit uncomfortable at first but was bearable not painful as such but think it was because i was tense, she did say the more relaxed i was the easier it would be. Thank u for puttin me at ease everyone. Rather have a bit of discomfort and know things are ok. I totally agree about the age thing , they should be testing earlier in my opinion, a friend of mine was told that she could have a smear after her third child even though she was 22 then got refused when it came to it. I think 25 is a long time to wait for them xx

MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:45 am 
Post subject:
I am pleased it went well for you - well done!

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular